Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone junk text messages

Feedback Score

Question Tracfone junk text messages

Anyway to reject or not get charged for junk text messages? I got some stupid text messages and had .30 minutes deducted from somebody I do not know. For the record I never use the text feature.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Delete an unwanted text before opening and there should be no charge.

Feedback Score
    I’ll have to pay more attention and try that next time. It’s the first text message I’ve received other than from Tracfone in the 5 months I’ve had a Tracfone. The texts from Tracfone have just been sales promotions.

Feedback Score
    If you keep getting unwanted promotional spam txt messages from non-Tracfone sources you can send a reply, 'STOP'. In the few cases I've encountered this made the messages stop.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    I like Tracnet's answer the best. Just don't open them, and delete them. Also I (myself) would not send any response, and hope it was just a 1 time thing. I had that happen before, and then never received a text from that entity again.

Tracfone / Net10's response to to this is found in their Terms and Conditions, section:

3. TEXT MESSAGING
    (Paragraph 3) If you do not want to incur text messaging charges, do not send or open a text message.

I found this in the supplied book that came with my LG900G, that I read in it's entirety, but still have questions. Imagine that

K-L-M

Feedback Score
    I too am getting unwanted spam texts from Tracfone. Please help me make them STOP!

Thanks,

Patti
    Last edited by Duncaha; 11-12-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Posted to wrong thread!

Feedback Score
    Would not surprise me if Tracfone sells the number and that is the cause of the spam texts.

Phones
    tracfone: Motorola EX124G
    Tracfone: Motorola EX124g
    Mobal International: Nokia
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Using Tracfone for over 5 years, I have never gotten "junk" texts, so I know Tracfone isn't selling my phone number. I do occasionally get texts from Tracfone, but they don't charge for those. Be careful who you give your cell phone number to. You may have given your number to someone and unknowingly given them permission to contact you by text. Don't open the text and you won't be charged.

Feedback Score
    I have had my tracfone for only three days, and I started getting spam calls and spam text messages within half an hour of activating my phone.

I wish I could see the number from which a text message was sent, but only after opening and paying for accessing the messages is the name displayed. How is the text messaging feature useful if I can't tell spam from non-spam? I'm not willing to pay over a dollar a day to check spam! Is there a solution, or is that just the way all prepaid phones work?

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chronocommander View Post
    Is there a solution, or is that just the way all prepaid phones work?
    That's the way TracFone works. Other providers may be different.

There have been options with TF but none are currently available phones.
    The Motorola V170 had free incoming text messages. And there was another flip phone that would show the sender on the outer display.

If you are getting a lot of spam, you might look into getting a new number.
    It sounds like your current number was previously used, entered in a lot of places, and that's why you are getting so much spam.

My number I've had for several years and I get no spam (just SMS alerts I've signed up for, like the Weather Channel).

Feedback Score
    Thanks, ST Dog. I asked my question also on the Tracfone forum, and someone from Tracfone said this:

Do not read the message from your phone's main screen. Press on Cancel and then go to your Messages, and then INbox. Hope this helps. Thanks.

However, this what I have been doing. Unless I am missing some crucial detail, I believe this advice is only meant to prevent me from pressing "ok" (read) while in the Main Menu. So it doesn't help in recognizing spam at all.

Is getting a new number difficult?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    You are correct. Often you can tell enough from the inbox listing to recognize a message as spam though.

Call Miami or use their forum (recommend since you have an account).
    If you call, make not of parameters 0 and 30 before you call, to serve as a back up in case there are problems. (Can be used to get you airtime back)

DO NOT waste your time with the normal service line. It can take a while to convince them and they are prone to mistakes.

For a GSM phone, you'll need a new SIM. They will likely want to deactivate your phone and you have to wait for the new SIM to arrive. If you are adamant you can get them to send the SIM with out deactivating.

Once you get the new SIM, call/PM before you install it and let them step you through the process.
    You generally cannot just put the new card in and go. Doing so might screw up the process and cause you to have to wait for a second SIM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, ST Dog. What are parameters 0 and 30?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chronocommander View Post
    Thanks, ST Dog. What are parameters 0 and 30?
    Menu > PrePaid > Code Entry Mode > *#0 > OK

and *#30

Feedback Score
    Thanks, ST Dog.

I have actually asked Tracfone on tracfoneforum.com for a new number, which they promptly gave me. I only had to supply the answer to one security question, and I had to turn my phone off and right away on again to activate the new number. I did not have to get a new SIM card.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast