Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to get a phone number area code and prefix you want.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

How to get a phone number area code and prefix you want.

I just went through quite an ordeal to get a phone number in my area code and a local prefix. Here's the story:

I decided to open another line on my family plan to give my daughter a cell phone for her birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. Being that this is my daughter's first phone, with a good chance that she could break or lose it, I decided to get a cheap $30 refurbished Pantech Link GoPhone from AT&T online and threw away the GoPhone SIM. Then I got a postpaid SIM from eBay for $1. I did all this so that this line will not have a contract, and I could use this line myself for upgrade purposes for a new phone for myself.

So now having all the hardware, I gave Premier CS a call. I said I wanted to use my own hardware. No problem. However when it came to choosing a phone number, ALL of the numbers available to me where IN ANOTHER AREA CODE in a city 50 miles away. Not happy as I wanted a local number so people locally calling from a landline would not incur long distance charges to call my daughters cell phone. I tried to explain to the CS rep that I would like a number at least in the same area code and something more local. The CS rep said no way as there are no numbers available more local to me. So I politely ended the call to CS.

Plan B. Get a local number from a carrier that DOES have numbers locally. Hmmm... So I have a couple of left over T-Mobile activation kits lying around from when I bought a couple of replacement T-Mobile ToGo phones for my relatives. I used a T-Mobile ToGo activation kit to snag a phone number with an area code and exchange that is local to my town. Took all of 20 minutes to do this. I got my number, although it is with T-Mobile. Did not cost me a thing.

Now call AT&T Premier CS again and start the process all over. Start a new line using my own hardware. When asked about a number, I replied that I wanted to port a number in. The number ported in within 10 minutes. So within 45 minutes total, I got a number from T-Mobile, activated a new line of service on AT&T, and got the number ported over.

Yeah!

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Now that's using your head!

Since this is your daughter's first phone, if I may make a suggestion, add Smart Limits to her line. That way, you can manage the numbers that she can call and the ones that can call her, plus you can prevent her from going crazy with texts and paid downloads. Depending on her age, you can make this an interactive process for her. You can tell her now that she's going to be getting a phone for her birthday in a few weeks, so, between now and then, she needs to get a list together of all the people she would like to talk to, along with their numbers, of course. Then the two of you can sit down and go over it, and you can decide which of them are OK to add to her whitelists. Then, after a trial period, the restrictions can come off if she's responsible with her phone. Not only will it teach her responsibility, but I guarantee that she'll be bouncing off the walls for the next few weeks in anticipation of getting her hands on it.
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Phones
    C510a, W610i
    W810i
    Nokia Shade
    Carriers
    AT&T-mobile;
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Umm hmm. Sounds about right. Long ago when I got my first go phone, I started with a sim card from ebay as I had a usable phone. Sim came with a nice number in NYC, thousands of miles away. After a while I decided I did not like that and wanted a local number. Spent hours on the phone and many calls to CS and even a store visit trying to make it happen. One of the funniest CS comments happened on one of those calls. Went like this: "Sorry we do not migrate numbers in this department." "You are telling me that YOU, the MIGRATION DEPARTMENT, refuse to migrate a number?" "Yes that is correct." I told the guy I was going to be really nice and leave him anonymous.

It got migrated though. I took out a Virgin Mobile account and then requested to port it. No sweat. The love to yank numbers from other telcos.

Phone
    HTC Incredible 2, LG 220, Nokia 6030
    Carriers
    Page Plus, Lyca
    Tru
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abenusa View Post
    I just went through quite an ordeal to get a phone number in my area code and a local prefix. Here's the story:

I see that you are in Minnesota. I have had a similar problem with AT&T. I am in Elk River, MN and when I used my 55330 zip code which is in 763, they wanted to give me a phone number with the 320 area code, which is not even close to me. I had to do some explaining and sweet talking to get them to give me a 763 number.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How funny in that you had the exact opposite area codes offered to you! I live in the 320 area code, gave them my ZIP, and the CS rep INSISTED that my number had to come from a list of a 612, 952, or 763 numbers (which are all Twin City metro numbers) which I would not accept. So he says, "give me a ZIP from a large city in the 320 area code". So I gave the CS rep the ZIP of St. Cloud. He comes back with 612, 952, or 763 numbers again with the explanation that there are no 320 numbers left. At that point I decided to end the call and procure a 320 number from T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Well if AT&T doesn't have any numbers in that area code then they can't give you one. I don't suppose the rep made that up to torture you. In some area codes numbers are very scarce. Just like it's pretty much impossible to get a number in the 212 area code. Moreover, each carrier only has a certain range of prefixes allotted to them, so even if another carrier has numbers in that area code available, it's very possible that AT&T does not.

Also, what the heck is "long distance"? Did this thread get revived from the 90's?

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4, Sprint Treo 800w
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Heh - metered billing still exists - typically for those in rural areas (POTS where cable VoIP and DSL is non-existent or not reliable), or you live in Canada (where cell phones are charged LD on incoming and outgoing calls )
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Plan B. Get a local number from a carrier that DOES have numbers locally. Now call AT&T Premier CS again and start the process all over. I replied that I wanted to port a number in. The number ported in within 10 minutes. So within 45 minutes total, I got a number from T-Mobile, activated a new line of service on AT&T, and got the number ported over. Yeah!
    GREAT work...!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Also, what the heck is "long distance"? Did this thread get revived from the 90's?
    seriously..??

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    LG Motion MS770
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Plan B. Get a local number from a carrier that DOES have numbers locally. Hmmm... So I have a couple of left over T-Mobile activation kits lying around from when I bought a couple of replacement T-Mobile ToGo phones for my relatives. I used a T-Mobile ToGo activation kit to snag a phone number with an area code and exchange that is local to my town. Took all of 20 minutes to do this. I got my number, although it is with T-Mobile. Did not cost me a thing.
    Good idea. I already have the area codes and prefixes I want locked in if I ever decide to convert them into AT&T individual postpaid accounts or extra lines for a FT plan.

Phone
    Carriers
    Page Plus, Lyca
    Tru
    Feedback Score
    Well if AT&T doesn't have any numbers in that area code then they can't give you one. I don't suppose the rep made that up to torture you. In some area codes numbers are very scarce. Just like it's pretty much impossible to get a number in the 212 area code. Moreover, each carrier only has a certain range of prefixes allotted to them, so even if another carrier has numbers in that area code available, it's very possible that AT&T does not.

It is not a problem with a shortage of numbers. It is a problem that is exclusive with AT&T. Many times I have activated AT&T Prepaid SIMS for friends or for temporary use. Everytime, without fail, when I use the 55330 zip code I get stuck with the 320 area code, which is wrong. If I use neighboring zip codes of 55374 or 55376 I get a local area code of 763 or 612. Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile have always gotten it right with an area code that matches the zip code.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Long Distance- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_distance_calling There ya go

A cool pic of the LATA's (Local Access and Transport Area) in the US-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LATA

Phone
    Carriers
    Page Plus, Lyca
    Tru
    Feedback Score
    How funny in that you had the exact opposite area codes offered to you! I live in the 320 area code, gave them my ZIP, and the CS rep INSISTED that my number had to come from a list of a 612, 952, or 763 numbers (which are all Twin City metro numbers) which I would not accept. So he says, "give me a ZIP from a large city in the 320 area code". So I gave the CS rep the ZIP of St. Cloud. He comes back with 612, 952, or 763 numbers again with the explanation that there are no 320 numbers left. At that point I decided to end the call and procure a 320 number from T-Mobile.

To the OP, I should have mentioned this to you before: I have activated prepaid and postpaid phones about 8 or 10 times in AT&T corporate stores. They have always given me the the area code of my choice. Another time, when the online system gave me a 320 area code I called customer service. They told me that I could get it changed by going to a corporate store and talking to a CSR. There is an AT&T store at Crossroads Center in St. Cloud that you could try.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yep, that AT&T store in the Crossroads Center is where I originally purchased my and my wife's iPhones. However I did not go there to activate this add this additional line to my family plan because I didn't think they would appreciate me using a refurb GoPhone to use on a postpaid $10 line with a $5 messaging plan.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Phone numbers are licensed from the FCC, and if it's not available to hand out then it's just not there. Another company may still have some available (especially smaller ones), but in our system you pull up a prefix, and if nothing pops, it's just NOT there.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast