Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG 900G questions

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

LG 900G questions

I got a LG 900 G about 10 days ago, right before I left for vacation. About 90% of the time I've been quite happy with both the phone and the service but I have some problems, and am not sure if others are experiencing them, so I'm hoping for some input from other users.

#1 - Battery life is awful. My last phone (a verizon "blitz") I had to charge once a week or so. This one the battery is running out every other day pretty much, sometimes more often. I am not even using it that much - I've used about 150 minutes and have sent about 150 texts in 10 days, and have been on the browser a few times to test it out. I don't know if it's this model or if I got a junky battery and it needs to be replaced.

#2 - Occasionally the phone is saying "Roam". When it does this, I can't send texts or open the browser, though I can make calls. According to the website it's not supposed to do that? It's not when I'm traveling, so it's not when I'm going out of the area - it will just show it sometimes, then 2 minutes later it'll be back to "Home".

#3 - I've tried going to getjar and downloading apps but it told me it doesn't recognize my phone and wouldn't let me download anything.

Any input from fellow users would be appreciated! Thanks!

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    GoPhone(Me)/Cricket(Gf)
    Feedback Score
    #3. Where it says Platform select J2ME (Java). That will do the trick. It doesn't recognize my Vortex but all I have to do is select Android and its good to go.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    #1 - Battery life is awful. My last phone (a verizon "blitz") I had to charge once a week or so. This one the battery is running out every other day pretty much, sometimes more often. I am not even using it that much - I've used about 150 minutes and have sent about 150 texts in 10 days, and have been on the browser a few times to test it out. I don't know if it's this model or if I got a junky battery and it needs to be replaced.
    My 900G battery is on par with my other phones. The thing about GSM phones, when there is no signal detected. They will switch the radio into high power while searching for signal, this will cause faster battery drain. Also if you have any app installed that constantly wants to connect to the network, that will cause the battery to drain faster. Finally, be sure to use the keypad lock so when you put the phone in your pocket it can't be activated, you'd be surprised how quickly the battery can drain with just the LCD light constantly coming on cause your leg pushed a button on the keypad.
    #2 - Occasionally the phone is saying "Roam". When it does this, I can't send texts or open the browser, though I can make calls. According to the website it's not supposed to do that? It's not when I'm traveling, so it's not when I'm going out of the area - it will just show it sometimes, then 2 minutes later it'll be back to "Home".
    Which SIM does your phone have? and Do you live in an area where you have both AT$T and Tmobile? If you have the AT$T SIM and you see ROAM, you're roaming on Tmobile and vice versa if you have the Tmobile SIM. I think it's ridiculous that ST/Tracfone/Net10 does this. I mean if they have agreements with both GSM companies they should just make a unified SIM the works with both networks without the stupid ROAM crap.
    #3 - I've tried going to getjar and downloading apps but it told me it doesn't recognize my phone and wouldn't let me download anything.
    When you go to getjar, input LG GW300 as your phone, same phone just the European model.
    HOW TO UNLOCK AND FLASH A NET10 LG 900G
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f177...hread-1176052/

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flrjr42501 View Post
    #3. Where it says Platform select J2ME (Java). That will do the trick. It doesn't recognize my Vortex but all I have to do is select Android and its good to go.
    Oh I totally missed that down under the "select your brand"! I did it and it seemed to work, but it told me there was insufficient memory. For some reason, it is saving any pics I take to the phone's memory, instead of to the micro SD card. I'll have to figure out how to change that. (or should I say, IF I can...)

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman828 View Post
    My 900G battery is on par with my other phones. The thing about GSM phones, when there is no signal detected. They will switch the radio into high power while searching for signal, this will cause faster battery drain. Also if you have any app installed that constantly wants to connect to the network, that will cause the battery to drain faster. Finally, be sure to use the keypad lock so when you put the phone in your pocket it can't be activated, you'd be surprised how quickly the battery can drain with just the LCD light constantly coming on cause your leg pushed a button on the keypad.
    See, that's the thing -- I don't know why it keeps having problems finding and/or keeping a signal. I got ST because my aunt and cousin have it up in Maine and therefore I knew it would work there. Since I travel there frequently, that was a big thing for me. They live in a rural area, I live in a city, you'd think that the signal would be stronger? I'm back in NJ now, and I'll see how the signal strength, and therefore battery time, is here.

I don't have any apps installed yet, and the keypad lock is on, and most of the time it isn't in my pocket or purse or anything, it's just laying on the table. So I don't think the light is draining the battery either.

Which SIM does your phone have? and Do you live in an area where you have both AT$T and Tmobile? If you have the AT$T SIM and you see ROAM, you're roaming on Tmobile and vice versa if you have the Tmobile SIM. I think it's ridiculous that ST/Tracfone/Net10 does this. I mean if they have agreements with both GSM companies they should just make a unified SIM the works with both networks without the stupid ROAM crap.
    I have no idea what you mean by "which SIM", but I read that ST uses Verizon's prepaid network. ATT & T-Mobile, as far as I know, doesn't get much service up in Maine.

When you go to getjar, input LG GW300 as your phone, same phone just the European model.
    I had, but it still wasn't working when they sent the links to my phone. I chose Java as the platform as mentioned above and that seemed to do the trick.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Oh I also wanted to add, it's not switching between "Home" and "Roam" when I'm out walking around or anything. Well sometimes it does, but it also does it when I'm just sitting at home. It will all of a sudden just lose the signal and say "No Service" or say it's Roaming.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I have no idea what you mean by "which SIM", but I read that ST uses Verizon's prepaid network. ATT & T-Mobile, as far as I know, doesn't get much service up in Maine.
    Open your phone, pull the battery, take that little white card under that battery out of the phone so you can read the print on the SIM card. A SIM card that works with the AT$T GSM network will have this written on it: TF64SIMC4
    A SIM card that works with the Tmobile GSM network will have this written on it: TF64SIMT4
    If you have both AT$T and Tmobile in your area, and the signal is weak from the GSM network that your SIM uses, it will switch from that GSM network to the other GSM network.
    Ok, but Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile are all CDMA carriers which are incompatible with the LG900G because it is a GSM phone and can only use GSM networks like AT$T, Tmobile, Dobson Cellular. GSM and CDMA are completely incompatible.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Open your phone, pull the battery, take that little white card under that battery out of the phone so you can read the print on the SIM card. A SIM card that works with the AT$T GSM network will have this written on it: TF64SIMC4
    A SIM card that works with the Tmobile GSM network will have this written on it: TF64SIMT4
    If you have both AT$T and Tmobile in your area, and the signal is weak from the GSM network that your SIM uses, it will switch from that GSM network to the other GSM network.

Ok, but Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile are all CDMA carriers which are incompatible with the LG900G because it is a GSM phone and can only use GSM networks like AT$T, Tmobile, Dobson Cellular. GSM and CDMA are completely incompatible.
    Oh I think I get it now...so ST must offer both GSM and CDMA phones, and if my aunt and cuz have a CDMA phone it would work well there and mine would not because it would be running on a different network, is what you are saying?

I took a gander at the SIM card and it is AT&T. While AT&T has good coverage at my home, it doesn't all over here, nor does it near my family, it's quite spotty there according to the map.

Hmmm this is really unfortunate, since I like this phone. If I want a CDMA phone I'd have to switch to the Samsung. Not sure if I'd like that one or not, and I don't know if I want/can spend the money to get a new phone.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Now your catching on. I know the selection of CDMA phones is pretty crappy! What you can do is buy one of those extremely cheap Net10 CDMA phones like the LG100c just to use while at your relatives.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I see. I guess it didn't occur to me that a company might be both instead of just one or the other, I didn't even think about the GSM/CDMA thing when buying the phone, silly me, I just figured they'd all be on the same network and all work the same!

Well the phone sat here today on my nightstand as I forgot to take it to work. I just charged it last night when I got back from vacation. I got 2 texts and a missed call while I was out, and after a few texts and a short (10 min) call the battery was done. It hasn't "roamed" since we got home, so I don't think that was driving down the battery. I wasn't here to be switching the screen light on all the time. Looks like I'll be returning this one. Too bad.

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet (didn't see it) but, aside from the two smartphones (which are both GSM), any device name that ends with a G is GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile) and any that ends in a C is CDMA (Verizon).

Something to keep in mind when buying a new phone, if you decide to.
    Internet at work and with a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk with AT&T.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The phone will use up the battery just trying to hold onto a weak signal, even if not weak enough to cause it to roam.
    When ST began they just had CDMA phones running on Verizon.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jebr View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet (didn't see it) but, aside from the two smartphones (which are both GSM), any device name that ends with a G is GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile) and any that ends in a C is CDMA (Verizon).

Something to keep in mind when buying a new phone, if you decide to.
    Oh wow, thanks for this tip! That's much easier than looking up the specs for each one!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well thank you everyone for all your help with this n00b. Today while looking on the site after jebr's post, I noticed that they had recon'd Samsung R355Cs for FREE with a card. I ordered one right away. So I'll give that one a try, see if I like it and if it works better, if so great and either that one will work fine or I'll buy a new one, or if it doesn't work well or the service on it isn't good, well I'm not out any money.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by holly79 View Post
    Well thank you everyone for all your help with this n00b. Today while looking on the site after jebr's post, I noticed that they had recon'd Samsung R355Cs for FREE with a card. I ordered one right away. So I'll give that one a try, see if I like it and if it works better, if so great and either that one will work fine or I'll buy a new one, or if it doesn't work well or the service on it isn't good, well I'm not out any money.
    Since they have three CDMA phones free with an airtime purchase you could try each one for a month (you may have begun with the best). You have to buy airtime anyway. Holding on to the same phone number complicates it a bit. But then there is Google Voice for a permanent phone number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast