Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Not receiving long splitted texts

Feedback Score

Not receiving long splitted texts

Hi all,

I've recently been having issues with my phone when receiving long text messages. Usually when I receive long text messages, they are split up and it will say something like 01/02 and 02/02 for each split message.

However, recently, parts of those messages are delayed, for example, I might receive a part 02/03 text message immediately, then receive the other two parts of the text message 10 minutes later, which is really frustrating. Other times, the other parts don't arrive at all.

The timestamps on the message however, are all correct and the same as the first part that was received.

Is this an issue with Bell's network? or my phone?

I have an HTC Desire Z.

Thanks

Phones
    Blackberry 9700
    Palm Pre
    Blackberry 8230
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Do you know what carrier these texts are coming from?
    Work _________________________________Blackberry 9700

Twitter: @BBMacD-Where I will tweet new info when i'm too lazy to post it! (often)
    Former Bell Dealer
    Former Bell Mobility Employee

Feedback Score
    Im having the same problem with my Desire Z. In fact, I am getting a lot of delayed texts in general and it started about three days ago. I knew I wasn't getting texts just now so I decided to restart my phone. Upon rebooting 5 messages came in all with sent times over 30 minutes ago. I figure this has to be the phone and not the network, but I don't know much about this stuff.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    yeah, having that issue from my iphone, from rodgers and wind

Feedback Score
    Me too!

I am with Solo and have have a Telus phone and Rogers phone sitting in front of me. When I send long texts from either they get split, and then one part comes. The second or third, if it arrives, comes several hours later.

This started on Dec 29th. The 28th and previous months have been fine.

It is not your phone! I believe it is the Bell network as I have tried from my other phones, and also have friends on Rogers/Telus and same thing. Their long messages get split, and the parts to not show up. When I send long txt to rogers from telus, and from telus to rogers they are fine. When I send to bell? Doesn't work.

I wrote a post in the Solo forum, but seeing as I am their only customer nobody has replied, lol.

I am also having texts not arrive that are sent to me, and not arrive to people I send to. It is frustrating.

Phones
    BlackBerry Q10 (2014)
    BlackBerry Z10 (2013)
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 (2012)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.418 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Guys this problem is reported to be some "incompatibility" from Bells 3G network and Rogers 3G network, this had been happening last year around september but it did correct itself, if you really need to get that persons text, tell them to switch off 3G and use GSM/EDGE if at all possible, that had solved the issue for me

Feedback Score
    When I first called Bell about the issue, the guy told me that it appeared to be on their end and was caused by the fact I was receiving a lot of messages. He said he knew that wasn't a valid excuse but was his best explanation. They couldn't do any real troubleshooting because I was calling from my mobile at the time. It does seem as if there is some sort of "back up" in the system when a lot of messages are being sent/received, at least for me. Not sure whats up buts its exceptionally frustrating.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the texts I have been receiving have been coming from the Rogers Network, both 3G and non-3G. I guess it is an issue with the Bell network. It has only been happening for the past week. The few weeks before it, it seemed to be working fine.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Yep, from Rogers I only sometimes get all parts of a long message. Other times it's delayed, and sometimes as OP indicated, it doesn't come at all. Quite annoying.

I've noticed that when a very long message (> 160 characters) is sent from other Bell phones, the message is not broken up. I wonder if this is the case for other carriers (within a carrier = can send long messages in one single text).

Feedback Score
    I notice some funky splitting of SMS on my blackberry on the bell network, the person sending the SMS is on telus which should be the same network.

Basically it will either come in as the original poster described (getting the 2nd or 3rd part immediately, having to wait for the 1st part) or other times it will come in as 3 parts, but the 2nd part is very short and the 3rd part doesnt have the 3/3 prefix. Very strange indeed!

I figured it was my phone acting up, but others are getting this too?

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Torch 9800: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.337 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Sounds like the problems of the CDMA SMS system are now becoming evident on HSPA.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 01-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strutswell View Post
    I notice some funky splitting of SMS on my blackberry on the bell network, the person sending the SMS is on telus which should be the same network.

Basically it will either come in as the original poster described (getting the 2nd or 3rd part immediately, having to wait for the 1st part) or other times it will come in as 3 parts, but the 2nd part is very short and the 3rd part doesnt have the 3/3 prefix. Very strange indeed!

I figured it was my phone acting up, but others are getting this too?
    Yeah, actually now that you mention it, I have issues with Rogers SMS as mentioned above, but I also have some with Telus (iPhone 3GS Telus -> my iPhone 4 on Bell, so both HSPA) sometimes instead of (1/3) it is just /3 and sometimes parts don't arrive at all. Basically SMS within the Bell network is completely reliable, and SMS to and from others is unreliable. Actually it's mostly from other networks. I haven't heard of anyone on other networks complain of missing parts of SMS messages, although admittedly most of the contacts I commonly text are on Bell.

Phones
    HP Pre 3
    Samsung SPH-A900 (retired)
    Palm Pre (retired)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I have been getting this exact problem as well. I called bell's tech support and the guy told me that the problem is most likely form the roger's network, not bell's, im not sure if this is true or not tho.

@DennyCrane: Can you please explain? I would like to know.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Torch 9800: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.337 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Quote Originally Posted by krab19
    @DennyCrane: Can you please explain? I would like to know.
    My CDMA BlackBerry's used to split incoming texts over 140 (or 160?) up into multiple messages. So if someone on Rogers for example sent me a 300 character message, their phone would accept it as one message, and then would split it up to send it. When I received that message it would come in multiple parts, often out of order, and with parts delayed.

Phones
    HP Pre 3
    Samsung SPH-A900 (retired)
    Palm Pre (retired)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

My CDMA BlackBerry's used to split incoming texts over 140 (or 160?) up into multiple messages. So if someone on Rogers for example sent me a 300 character message, their phone would accept it as one message, and then would split it up to send it. When I received that message it would come in multiple parts, often out of order, and with parts delayed.
    I believe CDMA's limit is 140 characters for SMSs. I have also experienced that, but i have seen phones on a HSPA network send a long SMS and the phone on the HSPA showed it had sent the different parts. Most of my cellphone/smartphone experience has been with my palm pre and i can tell you that it splits the message up by itself and sends them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast