Thread: Leaving Area Code - Should I Change My Number?

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Leaving Area Code - Should I Change My Number?

Aiyo,

I'm about to move to a different city (in-province but out of area code) for just about a year. I'm wondering if it would be short-sighted of me to not change my mobile number. As it stands now, I will be moving back to the city I'm about to leave when I'm through with my year-long college program (end of Dec. 2011) and I don't really feel like going through two, potentially three new phone numbers in that time.

What with calling cards, texting, Skype, My5/10, email, etc. I feel like I can manage with the number I have now without getting boned on expensive long distance and such, but I'm also a novice in all things mobile. What do you people think I should do?

Thanks,

Jay

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The only issue I can see is incoming calls. You will get charged LD on every incoming call you get from any phone number...local or LD, except those on your My5/10 list. You could add Nationwide 40 or some other long distance package, to avoid LD charges but this would be an added cost.

My New Rogers Plan
    - $35 Unlimited Local Calling Plan
    - $30 6GB Data
    - $10 Retention Value Pack - Free (2500 texts, CID, VM)
    - 100 mins LD - Free
    - $67 + tax

Bite me Telus.

Phones
    Blackberry 9700
    LG Keybo
    Carrier
    Mobilicity, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    you can let all your friends know your situation and ask them to call you and hang up. you can then return the call to avoid LD charges.

I used to have a Victoria number when I went to uvic. When i'm home at my parents house in Vancouver in the summer, my friends would just call and hang up and wait for me to return a call. 35c/min adds up really quickly and particularly for a student that's unnecessary expense that can be easily avoided.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I always found that changing phone numbers to be a royal pain - I moved out of city for 2 years and kept the same number.
    Just make sure you have a long distance option.

Feedback Score
    You can change your phone number and keep your phone number at the same time and enjoy the benefits of both.

This is what you need to do:

1. Port your current number to Voip.ms or an equivalent Voip provider. You must port the number BEFORE getting a new one or you risk loosing your old number.
    2. Get a new number from the area code you are in.
    3. Forward ALL incoming calls received on your old number (now registered at Voip.ms) to your new phone number. The forwarding will only cost you 0.5 c/minute according to Voip.ms rate + the monthly charge for the number. Voip.ms even supports Caller ID Forwarding so that means you will see the correct CID from the people who are calling you, they won't even realize that you changed numbers, for them everything is the same it was before.
    When you are done with school just switch back. Or if you later decide to move to another city you can still keep your old phone number registered at Voip.ms and everyone back home can call you on that number without paying long distance.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    ^That is an awesome idea, texting will be the only issue.

Feedback Score
    that voip.ms sounds great. what if you dont even want to give the number out or use it, what if you just want to park your number there if there a cost, minimum usage fee, a monthly fee, etc or can you just sign up and leave your number there til you want to port it out? Sign up fees?

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snackers View Post
    that voip.ms sounds great. what if you dont even want to give the number out or use it, what if you just want to park your number there if there a cost, minimum usage fee, a monthly fee, etc or can you just sign up and leave your number there til you want to port it out? Sign up fees?
    I believe it's a $25 fee to port a number in and then $1.99 per month.

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    HTC Touch Pro 2 (Super POS!) [Retired]
    HTC Touch Pro (****in POS!) [Retired]
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Check out my signature for the plan I have. I'm using an out of area code number and pay a set fee every month. It's not as cheap as the VOIP route but it's incredibly simple. If you get them to credit you the free incoming and get a long distance plan then every call sent or received will be local which is what you want. Plus you maintain and build your tenure with Telus. The question you need to ask is less hassle worth spending more?

As an aside does anyone know if Telus can take a number away from anyone or insist they get a local number if they've been out of their local area code for a certain time period?
    6 Year Client, Plan Negotiated October 2011:
    +$35 - Unlimited Voice 35 (Unlimited local calling)
    +$30 - Promo 6GB Data Add-on
    +$15 - Corporate National Calling 15 (Unlimited North American long distance)
    +Free- Package 15 (Caller ID, Unlimited text & picture messaging, Voicemail 10)
    = $80

Feedback Score
    Yes, but everyone calling him will pay long distance. The Voip.ms route has the advantage of having 2 different numbers and both are Local in their areas. Personally I consider this the biggest advantage but it all depends on individual needs.

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    HTC Touch Pro 2 (Super POS!) [Retired]
    HTC Touch Pro (****in POS!) [Retired]
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Ya, they would be paying long distance. It all depends on the volume of calls he gets and if the people care about that or not.