Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boost uses roaming ?

Feedback Score

Boost uses roaming ?

Here's the question.. I'm using a Mogul on Boost, and I updated the phone's PRL from 60613 to 60650 and noticed that I can use ROAMING, (the triangle) when the phone looses Boost signal ... And I'm asking, I'm able to use the roaming network here in Puerto Rico which is Centennial Wireless (ATT) , because I'm using a Sprint phone and not a Boost branded ???

Thanks

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hdmpr View Post
    Here's the question.. I'm using a Mogul on Boost, and I updated the phone's PRL from 60613 to 60650 and noticed that I can use ROAMING, (the triangle) when the phone looses Boost signal ... And I'm asking, I'm able to use the roaming network here in Puerto Rico which is Centennial Wireless (ATT) , because I'm using a Sprint phone and not a Boost branded ???

Thanks

Have you actually used the phone while it's roaming? My understanding (may be wrong) is that you can acquire a signal but that you'll be denied if you actually try to use the foreign system.

Feedback Score
    i've never been able to roam on boost....

Phones
    BM iPhome 5S, Prevail, Sanyo Incognito, iPhone 3g ,Samsung t319 (Unlocked), Nokia 6101 (unlocked),
    Treo 600 (unlocked), Motorola V400 (unlocked), Nokia 3650 (unlocked),
    Samsung N105, Nokia 3390 Gold, LG TouchPoint 1100, Nokia 5190
    Carriers
    Boost Mobile, at&t, Cingular, T-Mobile, Voicestream,
    Sprint, Omnipoint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellot View Post
    Have you actually used the phone while it's roaming? My understanding (may be wrong) is that you can acquire a signal but that you'll be denied if you actually try to use the foreign system.
    Probably would work for calling 911 though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by magicski View Post
    Probably would work for calling 911 though.
    any cellular phone will dial 911 even without active service, but obviously it must have signal.
    iPhone 4S on AT$T
    Sprint usb 598 on Boost Mobile Pre-Paid

------ No cell phone, No internet, No Computer, No Facebook ------
    -------------------- HOW LONG WILL YOU LAST -----------------------

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Unless the subscriber has authorization to allow your phone to work, it won't work, even if it shows it's roaming.

Now with that said... There was a time when updated PRLs came out and the phone was able to use towers which were showing up as roaming, but were actually home towers.

I believe it might happen when Sprint acquires new towers, or antennas, or it could just be bugs. I don't have any true way of knowing how that part is handled.

But, as I said, unless Boost authorizes the roaming tower (provider) from processing your call, (like call forwarding??) then it won't work.

Feedback Score
    Well, this is weird, cuz I'm able to make calls (also I dial 611 when the triangle appears, and the customer service and I hear the Centennial Wireless ad Stating that Centennial now belongs to ATT) and use the internet but just at 1x, perhaps the explanation is the following, if you guys look at sprint's native coverage in Puerto Rico you'll see that it's an awful one, with that said, every sprint customer has roaming on centennial. So, maybe ...maybe that's the explanation for my situation ....

Phones
    BB 7100i
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carriers
    Boost IDEN
    Feedback Score
    http://plans.boostmobile.com/whyboost.aspx

I'm not sure but according to this, Boost is indeed offering Roaming now as part of their plans.... at least that's what I gather from this table on their site. I don't think I have a need for roaming here in NY but, in PR I had many dead spots down main roads while driving so, this is welcome news for me! !!!!!

Carrier
    Soup Cans and String Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I assume it says "no roaming charges" because of this line:

Coverage not available everywhere. Sprint 3G network reaches over 258 million people.
    Emphasis mine. Sprint pays Verizon for roaming...

No roaming possible = no roaming charges

Just like saying "no overages"...well, we have unlimited everything so how could we have 10c/min tacked on?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    FWIW... It has ALWAYS said "No Roaming Charges" on that page, in that exact same image, for well over a year.

Boost does not offer, and probably never will offer roaming to it's customers.

Phones
    BB 7100i
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carriers
    Boost IDEN
    Feedback Score
    Really? lol.

Well, I was wondering because I was reading this article on how to written last November on how to enabled Roaming on a Boost phone and that got me thinking, I found the table, put two and two together, did a search later and found this thread and thought it must be true. That specifically being that if Metro and cricket DO offer roaming for whatever amount per minute, then added "no roaming charges" to that table next to ehse facts would imply you are actually offering roaming but not charging a thing for it. If that is not true, such is a misleading advertisement and is actually supposed to play against Boost and not in its favor lol

Touché Boost... touché!

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is no working way to get "roaming" from Boost. There is however a way to activate a 2nd NAM to get your phone to work on another carrier when switched to NAM2.

This would allow you to setup NAM2 for Cricket/MetroPCS/PagePlus and when you're not within Sprint coverage, switch to the other NAM and use their coverage areas.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boooooommm View Post
    http://plans.boostmobile.com/whyboost.aspx

I'm not sure but according to this, Boost is indeed offering Roaming now as part of their plans.... at least that's what I gather from this table on their site. I don't think I have a need for roaming here in NY but, in PR I had many dead spots down main roads while driving so, this is welcome news for me! !!!!!
    I thought that same thing and have even written to Boost about it before. I got a very confused/confusing mix of replies from them on it from one rep saying yes they do offer roaming and 2 others saying they don't.

It doesn't make sense to me for them to advertise that they don't charge for something that they don't even offer, but they do. LOL

Feedback Score
    No Roaming Charges cause they dont allow ROAMING.... If you cant roam, there are no charges...

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So why make it sound like it's some kind of special deal or better in some way? Yea, you don't charge for something you don't provide! Thank goodness! LOL

That's like me saying I don't charge anything for the KC Royals call me up to pinch hit for them. Or I don't charge anything to sit with the US House of Representatives and vote on important policy. Or I don't charge anything to consult on NASA Space Shuttle missions. The list of things I don't do or offer and don't charge for is endless. Do you think it's really necessary that I specify things I don't do AND don't charge for?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast