Phones
    OnePlus One
    Blackberry Passport
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score

MicroSIM

Mobile syrup posted this earlier today but has since deleted the post. "looks-like-a-microsim-card-has-arrived-at-wind-mobile"

You can see people reference in on twitter and it shows up in google search (no cache though).

Anybody get a chance to read this before they removed the post?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/01/04/lo...t-wind-mobile/

Best guess is iPad 2 if the micro SIM is true. I doubt a AWS iPhone will be released any time soon (June/July probable).
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    Mobile syrup posted this earlier today but has since deleted the post. "looks-like-a-microsim-card-has-arrived-at-wind-mobile"

You can see people reference in on twitter and it shows up in google search (no cache though).

Anybody get a chance to read this before they removed the post?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/01/04/lo...t-wind-mobile/

Best guess is iPad 2 if the micro SIM is true. I doubt a AWS iPhone will be released any time soon (June/July probable).
    Yes I read the article, mobilesyrup was being stupid, it wasn't even a microsim. They showed a picture of two Wind sims, old and new, BOTH clearly regular sized sims, just the old one had a larger chip.

Edit: it was this exact picture, just more pixelated and labeled http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6#post14180796

Phones
    Any
    Huawei U1250 (back up)
    Alcatel Tribe OT-981
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    The article was deleted. A miss understanding, though it's nice to see a site delete something that was clearly a mistake instead of leaving it up there to cause confusion.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I was wondering what was up with their twitter feed and the dead link. This makes sense. I wish the would have updated their twitter instead of just deleting the tweet and article.

Edit: would have been awesome if it was real. Might have pointed to them planning on an AWS iPhone.
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I read that article yesterday and foudn it interesting. It would be great if Wind starts selling the iPad or some other tablet device. Even nicer would be Apple adding AWS to the next iPhone, but that's wishful thinking...

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpowers101 View Post
    I read that article yesterday and foudn it interesting. It would be great if Wind starts selling the iPad or some other tablet device. Even nicer would be Apple adding AWS to the next iPhone, but that's wishful thinking...
    Only two issue keep me off Wind. One is that they aren't in my area yet, so a non-starter right now. But even if and when they are, I don't know if I'd give up my iPhone. An AWS iPhone would clear that issue at least.

If Apple was to do an LTE iPhone for Verizon, would that be compatible with Wind's? (They have LTE, right?)

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Only two issue keep me off Wind. One is that they aren't in my area yet, so a non-starter right now. But even if and when they are, I don't know if I'd give up my iPhone. An AWS iPhone would clear that issue at least.

If Apple was to do an LTE iPhone for Verizon, would that be compatible with Wind's? (They have LTE, right?)
    No, they don't have LTE. Edit: I think there's a much higher chance of adding an AWS band to the existing iPhone then building a new one with LTE included.

It was tough for me to leave the iPhone 4 when I ported to Wind, but the Nexus S really helps, actually really enjoying it after using the iPhone 4 since launch.

Who knows, maybe other devices, or even the iPad 2 may get AWS band added and they will start to get micro-sims.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by profets View Post
    No, they don't have LTE. Edit: I think there's a much higher chance of adding an AWS band to the existing iPhone then building a new one with LTE included.

It was tough for me to leave the iPhone 4 when I ported to Wind, but the Nexus S really helps, actually really enjoying it after using the iPhone 4 since launch.

Who knows, maybe other devices, or even the iPad 2 may get AWS band added and they will start to get micro-sims.
    So you think if the mythical Verizon iPhone comes out, it will be CDMA and not LTE? I think this is likely for the first release, but they will have to do an LTE iPhone sooner or later (if they move onto V's network).

I am not sure, but if Wind were to move to LTE eventually, I guess it would be over the AWS frequency they current use? If so, then even if Apple were to do an LTE iPhone for Verizon, I guess there would be no guarantee it would run on Wind (just as current iPhones that support HSPA don't work on Wind's HSPA network because of the frequency difference).

Phones
    OnePlus One
    Blackberry Passport
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    I don't think you have to worry about LTE for a few years. At this point LTE has less coverage, few users and less than 10 handsets. Apple will not release an LTE iPhone this year. LTE is being deployed in the 700 MHz spectrum in the US, we won't even have a an auction for that until 2012 and it'll be 2014 before anyone in Canada has a usable LTE 700 network.

Right now Rogers and Bell are deploying LTE testing on AWS. If they make handsets for this spectrum, then WIND could also use it for LTE... But I don't think that likely to happen any time soon either.

So unless Apple releases an AWS iPhone this year, you're out of luck. AWS is more likely to happen before any LTE iPhone.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    So you think if the mythical Verizon iPhone comes out, it will be CDMA and not LTE? I think this is likely for the first release, but they will have to do an LTE iPhone sooner or later (if they move onto V's network).

I am not sure, but if Wind were to move to LTE eventually, I guess it would be over the AWS frequency they current use? If so, then even if Apple were to do an LTE iPhone for Verizon, I guess there would be no guarantee it would run on Wind (just as current iPhones that support HSPA don't work on Wind's HSPA network because of the frequency difference).
    No, I'm just saying that I think there's a better chance we'll see (and much easier as well) to add AWS band to the iPhone which already has several UMTS bands than there is that Apple will build an LTE/4G iPhone. My thinking is also that if Apple does some iPhone for Verizon (cdma or something else), then its likely that their AT&T contract has ended and they will want to get on as many carriers as possible, and adding AWS band would be simple and allow it to work on T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    I don't think you have to worry about LTE for a few years. At this point LTE has less coverage, few users and less than 10 handsets. Apple will not release an LTE iPhone this year. LTE is being deployed in the 700 MHz spectrum in the US, we won't even have a an auction for that until 2012 and it'll be 2014 before anyone in Canada has a usable LTE 700 network.

Right now Rogers and Bell are deploying LTE testing on AWS. If they make handsets for this spectrum, then WIND could also use it for LTE... But I don't think that likely to happen any time soon either.

So unless Apple releases an AWS iPhone this year, you're out of luck. AWS is more likely to happen before any LTE iPhone.
    Agreed..

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If Apple releases an iPhone on Verizon, I'm fairly certain it would be CDMA because I'm sure the main reason they'd want to be on Verizon is the massive increase in subscribers they could get. These subscribers are all on CDMA. Besides, from my understanding, a voice LTE device would be a no-go for the moment as LTE is data-only for the time being, with voice being added later.

An AWS iPhone would be simple for Apple to make but I doubt it will happen this year, mainly so that Verizon doesn't have to share the spotlight with T-Mobile. I think an AWS iPhone will come out eventually, just not likely this year.

I can't give up my iPhone 4. That's why I maintain two accounts: One on Rogers and another on Wind. Once Apple releases an AWS iPhone, I think I should be good to drop my Rogers line.

Carrier
    Rogers Communications Inc.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    A miss understanding, though it's nice to see a site delete something that was clearly a mistake instead of leaving it up there to cause confusion.
    i would rather the site leave the most up and admit the mistake then pretend it didnt happen.
    maybe mobilesyrup could check into things before posting articles that are completely false.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't the Galaxy Tab take a microsim?