Thread: upgrade with grandfathered plan question

Feedback Score

upgrade with grandfathered plan question

I have a grandfathered (49.99 plan with 600 anytime, n/w free)family plan. All lines are out of contract for more than a year (and are eligible for upgrade as per online account). I read in some of the hofo threads that if I upgrade a phone online, then I will NOT have to buy a data plan and tmobile will not add it at later stage ? Is that true ? I am looking for a smartphone phone for spouse to use in home on wifi.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4 (Wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolahoous View Post
    I have a grandfathered (49.99 plan with 600 anytime, n/w free)family plan. All lines are out of contract for more than a year (and are eligible for upgrade as per online account). I read in some of the hofo threads that if I upgrade a phone online, then I will NOT have to buy a data plan and tmobile will not add it at later stage ? Is that true ? I am looking for a smartphone phone for spouse to use in home on wifi.
    Yes that's true. I upgraded my wife's line in December 2009 to a BB Bold 9700 and data plan was never added. I sold the phone and my wife still uses a BB Curve 8900 without a data plan.

I'm on a grandfathered $59.99 family plan with 700 minutes.
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Phone
    Treo 680P Unlocked, Nokia Nuron, Dash 3G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, i upgraded 2 of my lines online and did not need a data plan.

Carrier
    tetamovil
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolahoous View Post
    going by your join date and $50 family plan, did you have the tmobile wing before? been there, done that too. Currently, fresh off the press, the Samsung vibrant and Garminfone are free on the tmo website for full upgrades. If you don't want to have a data plan, the Garminfone is the better option as it has the full USA maps in the device itself, and has WiFi.. But if you're willing to pay an additional $20/month minimum for data, then the Vibrant is the better device. They only had the free Garminfone last week, snatched it up, tried it w/ my tzones, worked for a couple hours, and data was cut off, so now I'm using it as a spare w/ prepaid. Best free phone I've gotten from tmo.

I see the HD2 is no longer available for upgrades, but if it were, it should be free by now. I'm dualbooting mine w/ WinMo and Android, have Igo8 gps on winmo or google maps on android, and works w/ tzones.

Another overlooked option, the Nokia e73, also has free Ovi maps of the whole world downloadable to the phone, free. Has wifi, gps, and the kitchen sink, i.e. UMA built-in, plus nobody does SIP like nokia.

these 4 would be my recommendation today, but as of last week, the garmin was the only one available free, plus, i got the order in before new year's eve, so psychologically, i would not have to see the extra year in my contract.

Feedback Score
    yes I had wing and dash before that. I am not interested in data plan. garmin phone is end of line so will stay clear of that. there is android version of motorola navigation which has maps on the device so don't need data plan for navigation.
    btw, vibrant will not come out as free I noticed, since it is $50rebate+$50tax+upgrade fee etc and comes to about $130. The rebate won't work since it explicitly requires $30 data plan. so it will be $130 for vibrant.

Phone
    Moto X
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newroc View Post
    But if you're willing to pay an additional $20/month minimum for data, then the Vibrant is the better device.
    i thought you didn't need to get the data plan if you had a grandfathered voice plan and upgraded online? Am i getting confused by something here?

thanks

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4 (Wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post
    i thought you didn't need to get the data plan if you had a grandfathered voice plan and upgraded online? Am i getting confused by something here?

thanks
    He's talking about getting navigation software to work. You need the data plan to use Google Maps with the Vibrant but you don't need data plan to use Garmin navigation software with the Garminfone.

Phone
    Moto X
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bachviet View Post
    He's talking about getting navigation software to work. You need the data plan to use Google Maps with the Vibrant but you don't need data plan to use Garmin navigation software with the Garminfone.
    oh that makes sense thanks!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    wait.. so say you get a Vibrant from the upgrade, you dont have to add a data plan?