Thread: wind and HSDPA

Feedback Score

wind and HSDPA

i'm looking at getting a new phone
    i know wind is on 1700/2100

but if a phone says 3g HSDPA, is that supported?

i was looking at the LG optimus black

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_black-3704.php

thanks in advance

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    gsmarena must not be updated for this phone since it was just announced - they haven't properly listed the bands included and simply put hsdpa.

I think this was announced yesterday though for t-mobile usa? if so then it should be good for wind once its available.

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    HSDPA is the same as HSPA. If that's what you're asking.

Phone
    HTC Maple, T-Mobile HD2
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well its not the same, but they are backwards compatible all the way back to the core of UMTS. GSMArena rarely lists North American variant of phones, so look at other places to confirm (preferably the manufacturers site when they update it).
    Real World Cellular Coverage and Tower Maps
    Contribute if you have a Windows Mobile 6.x/Android 2.1 or greater device/BlackBerry OS 4.3 or greater

Carrier
    Rogers PAYG
    Feedback Score
    To answer the guy's question, no HSDPA does not mean it will automatically work with Wind. HSPA can run on any frequency, 1700, 2100, 850, 1900 etc. You'll have to find out exactly what frequency it runs on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sk1d View Post
    To answer the guy's question, no HSDPA does not mean it will automatically work with Wind. HSPA can run on any frequency, 1700, 2100, 850, 1900 etc. You'll have to find out exactly what frequency it runs on.
    Thank you,
    i started looking at the 2x as it's suppose to be with T-Mobil.

to bad it has no java

Phone
    Android Dev Phone 2
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nixguy View Post
    to bad it has no java
    What are you talking about? Java ME app support? Why would you even want that on an Android phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j0no View Post
    What are you talking about? Java ME app support? Why would you even want that on an Android phone?
    the black has it...i still don't have an android phone so not sure if it's needed or not

usually when i get a phone it stays with me for a long long time...as you can tell my last phone was the N95, just moved to wind and have the cheep phone they sell...after looking at the phones i really like the LG Optimus Black, but if it's not going to work with wind..then i guess the 2x would be my second choice .....

Phone
    Android Dev Phone 2
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    When GSM Arena lists "Java" they mean Java ME (aka J2ME) app support. Smart phones typically don't provide built-in support for Java ME, because Java ME is horrible and native apps work much better. Believe me when I say you'll get no more or less "Java" support on either phone. Both can download a third-party app to run Java ME apps if you really want to, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

From a strictly technical point of view, all Android phones support Java, because Android apps are written in Java, but the Android environment is different from the Java ME environment so the apps aren't compatible. However, as a user you'll never need to know that unless you want to develop for the platform.

Feedback Score
    Well, it does not look like the LG Optimus 2x or the black will support AWS..i guess i have to look for another phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nixguy View Post
    i'm looking at getting a new phone
    i know wind is on 1700/2100
    Wind's network should never be refered to as 1700/2100. Wind is using the AWS, UMTS Band IV. If any number should be used, it should only be stated as 1700. When a phone manufacturer states UMTS 1700MHz, that automatically includes all necessary frequencies (iincluding the 2100 part) for AWS. Saying 1700/2100 only adds unnecessary confusion because when a phone manfuacturer says "2100", they aren't even talking about AWS. The only number you should be looking for is 1700.

Phone
    HTC Maple, T-Mobile HD2
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1700/2100 is more correct (if you can call it that) than 1700, which can be confused with UMTS Band X...which is actually 1700 MHz only. It should be referred to as UMTS band IV to avoid any ambiguity.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    1700/2100 is more correct (if you can call it that) than 1700, which can be confused with UMTS Band X...which is actually 1700 MHz only. It should be referred to as UMTS band IV to avoid any ambiguity.
    Crazy, didn't even realize there was a band X now. Actually it looks very similar to Band IV (AWS). Even Band IX is 1700 haha.