Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problems receiving Tracfone monthly Value Plan Minutes

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Problems receiving Tracfone monthly Value Plan Minutes

I have had 3 phones (3 different models)enrolled in the Tracfone Family Plan for a little over a year. When we first enrolled, one phone would never automatically get its monthly minutes. When I would log in to my account online it would say that they had detected a potential problem with the phone and forced me to go through the process of manually adding the minutes. This went on for about 5 or 6 months with the same phone before it finally started getting the automatic update. Now, this week, the other 2 phones on the plan did not receive the minutes and are in the same situation.

Does anyone know what causes this problem? Is there a permanent fix? I am not willing to go through another round of manually entering codes into the phones month after month. I sent an email to customer service asking about it but I have yet to receive a reply. If I can't get a permanent fix for this, I am just going to let the service expire and close my account.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Are you leaving the phone turned on during the particular day of the month when it should receive the updates? Are you in an area with solid reception when the update is scheduled to take place?

Feedback Score
    Tracfone cannot be relied upon to do anything correctly. The only thing you can rely on is that they will be unreliable. I used to have an automatic plan and it was nothing but trouble. Not only was the delivery frustrating, but giving a credit card number to this outfit is scary. In the past, there were tales of employees buying themselves ringtones with the credit card numbers. I don't know if this was true or not. When I have to use credit with them, I use a "disposable" cc number for the exact amount.

I think they would like to do a good job, but their operation is too swamped to handle things properly. I don't think there is a remedy except to avoid the automatic stuff and go with something else. If you would like advice, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who will help you.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I live in an area that has no coverage around my home. However, in this instance both phones were on and in an area with reception (large city) for multiple days when the updates were to be delivered. We have been doing this for a while now so we know the routine. Nothing was really different this time as far as our phone usage goes.

I'm in a weird situation as far as cell phones go. I would love to have a phone with a regular carrier but I just can't justify it at the current prices. This is why we chose Tracfone. My wife and I both work in a facility that does not allow us to bring in personal phones and we don't have coverage at home. Our drive to work is in the mountains and, out of 26 miles, we only have coverage for maybe 4-5. So, with all of that, there really isn't a lot of opportunity to use a cell phone too much. We mainly keep them for emergencies and for when i travel for work or are in town shopping, etc.

I am definitely open to suggestions for alternatives. I looked into T-mobile since they have the hotspot at home option but they have even less coverage in our area otherwise.

Feedback Score
    If you live in a mountainous area, you will have spotty coverage, that's for sure. Perhaps you should just bite the bullet and add regular airtime cards when you have the chance. Then you are set for a few months at a time. If you have a double minute phone and use a bonus code, and perhaps get the one-year option, it would be set it and forget it. Tracfone is the best prepaid for roaming, which sounds like your situation.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, that was my conclusion when I first started using Tracfone a few years ago. At the time, my wife and I did yearly cards for each phone. Then, I decided that my mother needed a phone so we decided that the family plan was a better way to go. I had hoped to avoid having my mother mess with punching in codes but, I guess, once a year isn't too bad.

Phones
    w370
    w376
    w170
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by karlman View Post
    Yeah, that was my conclusion when I first started using Tracfone a few years ago. At the time, my wife and I did yearly cards for each phone. Then, I decided that my mother needed a phone so we decided that the family plan was a better way to go. I had hoped to avoid having my mother mess with punching in codes but, I guess, once a year isn't too bad.
    Your mother doesnt have to punch in codes. That can be done from your house,I do it all the time.You just need her tracfone phone number and of course a minute card,and it can all be done online.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Your mother doesnt have to punch in codes. That can be done from your house,I do it all the time.You just need her tracfone phone number and of course a minute card,and it can all be done online.
    I know that's how it is supposed to work. I just don't know if that will be how it actually works in reality with any consistency. At some point, they always seem to want me to punch in codes I tried to manually get the updates for the 2 phones online over the weekend. Both of them returned "Invalid Code" multiple times. The system then directed me to call the tech support line for assistance. I tried to call last night but they support center had already closed. Hopefully the phone won't need to be in an area that has a signal when I call. That will be tricky to accomplish....no signal at the house and I can't take it into work and call from my office. Public payphones are also scarce.

Feedback Score
    I have had 3 phones (3 different models)enrolled in the Tracfone Family Plan for a little over a year. When we first enrolled, one phone would never automatically get its monthly minutes. When I would log in to my account online it would say that they had detected a potential problem with the phone and forced me to go through the process of manually adding the minutes. This went on for about 5 or 6 months with the same phone before it finally started getting the automatic update. Now, this week, the other 2 phones on the plan did not receive the minutes and are in the same situation.

Does anyone know what causes this problem? Is there a permanent fix? I am not willing to go through another round of manually entering codes into the phones month after month. I sent an email to customer service asking about it but I have yet to receive a reply. If I can't get a permanent fix for this, I am just going to let the service expire and close my account.
    I have 2 phones enrolled in the family value plan for a number of years now. I had the same problems for a while then everything started working OK. Some months ago, however, one phone quit updating. But I went to my account on the website and found that the phone was updating , but not on the phone itself. So I just forgot about it since it kept working normally even though the phone showed it had expired some months ago. This seems like a stupid way to have to handle the problem, but it beats all the red tape you have to go to handle anything personally with Tracfone.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Even though the phone shows expired, do the minutes keep going down? Have you hit zero? If that is the case, maybe the update on the phone just updates the display so that the user has a clue about how much time they really have.

Feedback Score
    Even though the phone shows expired, do the minutes keep going down? Have you hit zero? If that is the case, maybe the update on the phone just updates the display so that the user has a clue about how much time they really have.
    The minutes keep going down as I use the phone, and show correctly on the phone itself. But the phone still shows the date several months ago. In fact, my phone updated just today, and I got the email as I always do showing my account was charged. I also checked my account on the website and it updated correctly there. Since I had a lot of minutes on both phones, I have the plan that just gives me more days of service, no minutes. I'm not going to worry about what is happening with the one phone as long as the website keeps updating properly, and I have my email showing I was charged.

My only concern is that I just bought a new phone in order to get Bluetooth and a camera, and will be replacing the old phone which doesn't show updates. I anticipate problems trying to explain to CS if they have a way to see that my old phone still displays a months old date.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cg205 View Post
    I anticipate problems trying to explain to CS if they have a way to see that my old phone still displays a months old date.
    The only service end date that trac CS can see is the one that is in their system. I don't see where there would be an issue with the service end date if/when doing a transfer. They never ask the customer for that info BUT IF they do just give them the date that the online account system shows.

What may come up during a transfer with CS is that the parameter 0 value on the fone does not match the value in the trac system. This should be the case since you have not been receiving the OTA updates. Me thinks though that they will just have you enter codes on the spot prior to starting the transfer to the other fone. Or it may just go completely unnoticed.
    Last edited by tracnet; 01-11-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Having to wait even an hour to get a prepaid wireless plan pin from an online dealer or pin seller is NOT great, good or even mediocre customer service when you consider this instant internet age we live in. Why let anyone convince you otherwise? Understaffed is what it's called.(Two is not a team)

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Hi to everyone on HoFo,

I have a friend on Net10 easy minutes plan. The phone used is W376G.

They live in a remote area where coverage is not always great, and looks like the phone missed it's monthly update.

It says: 'Add airtime by 02/08/11 or service ends.'

They did receive and e-mail that Net10 received payment (auto withdrawl) and service is extended to the 13th of next month.

I there some numbers I can punch on said phone to fetch the update that the phone appears to have missed?

I looked through all the topics on Hofo, and believe it wor not, this topic was dead, last, about to vanish. Good timing I guess.

I'm looking on the Net10 web site and under owners account at the moment for an answer...

Okay, I went to the technical support link on Net10 while logged into customers account. It says the phone needs an update. Then I enter in the long code twice. Both times Invalid code. What a surprise! Next it tells me to call customer service.

Great...Okay. Well I guess that I what I will do this time, but id anyone has some 3 code to dial in form the home screen or something to force an update, that would be great.

K-L-M

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    K-L-M, try this:

SELF-RETRIEVAL AND ADDING AIRTIME

You may retrieve your Monthly Minutes by following these instructions:

1.Press the MENU key.

2."Prepaid" will be displayed across your screen.

3.Press OK or SELECT.

4.Go to "Redeem Airtime" or “Add Airtime."

5.Press OK or SELECT.

6.If your screen displays a message, go down and press OK until you see “Card #” or “Airtime PIN.”

7.Enter 555 and press OK.

8.If you are prompted for a promo code, press NO.

You will receive your Minutes shortly.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Hi Tracfancier and thans for the input. I'm saving those instruciotns for future reference/ sharing with others when the time comes.

Unfortunately, with this phone there is no 'Add Airtime' or 'Redeem Airtime'. Which means, The air time card I donated to my friend to get her by will not be input in this way.

She is on the easy minutes plan by the way. And I have verified that her service is good through April as per Net10 Website, but the phone says Service through 2/28.

The only option within this W376G to acquire is "Buy airtime". Under that You can select 300, 600, 1000, or 1500 minutes. The softkey options on this screen is 'OK' and 'Back'. There is nothing else on this screen (No card # or Airtime PIN)

So Did the tech support page on N10. Wants to keep entering in codes and saying they are invalid until the phone went into 'Service diabled mode'.

Now if this were a Tracfone, I know wehre to on on the TF site to undo the prepaid disabled with more codes. But this ability does not show up on Net10, that I have found yet.

So....Time to pick up the phone. Missed Miami CS by 4 minutes. And it is Friday. So I sucked it up and called regular Net10 CS and I have been on hold for almost 1 hour now. Gee I wonder if everyone is calling in about the same problem (not getting thier easy minutes updated)....

Again Thanks Tracfancier for the handy info. I'm sure oit will come in handy on some type of phone+service out there...

K-L-M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast