Thread: 3G Coverage Official

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

3G Coverage Official

http://www.att.com/network/?rel=nofo...P4G!CIWM01-2-1

Looks like most all of ND, SD, and MN will be 3G by the end of March of this year. How do I know this. It says so on the bottom right hand corner of the image.

This is from the official AT&T website and obviously is due to the Alltel acquisition in those areas. But it looks nice!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Old news in the AT&T forum, but yes, it looks good. We should be up and running before then actually, it's some of the non-Alltel expansion (there is some!) that might take till the end of March...

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    Old news in the AT&T forum, but yes, it looks good. We should be up and running before then actually, it's some of the non-Alltel expansion (there is some!) that might take till the end of March...
    Still have a ways to go to catch up to Verizons 3G coverage. But it's a good start. The Alltel acquisition helped them and I'm positive they know it. But they still have a ways to go. The upper Midwest is pretty well covered now.

No love in Nebraska though. lol

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Look at Puerto Rico and stuff. Also, remember NOT all 3G is equal. AT&T's UMTS network is actually closer in performance and capabilities to Verizon's LTE network than to Verizon's EVDO network.

Device(s)
    HTC Aria
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's a great point Mark, and it baffles me as to why that isn't marketed better by AT&T. UMTS hits like 7mbit/s doesn't it? That's almost 2.5 times faster than RevA that Verizon has.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    Look at Puerto Rico and stuff. Also, remember NOT all 3G is equal. AT&T's UMTS network is actually closer in performance and capabilities to Verizon's LTE network than to Verizon's EVDO network.
    UMTS is limited to 384Kbps. Most of those places probably have enough bandwidth to support 3.6HSPA at the most.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    UMTS is limited to 384Kbps. Most of those places probably have enough bandwidth to support 3.6HSPA at the most.
    No. All the Alltel converted areas are getting proper backhaul from the start. Speeds in Danville, VA easily surpass 3.6.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    No. All the Alltel converted areas are getting proper backhaul from the start. Speeds in Danville, VA easily surpass 3.6.
    If they can get 7.2HSPA 3G speed to these rural bits that would be great, but it's impossible for most of the rural land hence the big fuss over rural broadband

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    UMTS is not limited to 384kbps, except in the first generation. HSPA+ is still UMTS. Just like EDGE is still GSM.

Device(s)
    Pixel, iPhone 8, iPad Pro, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It looks lot better but there's still a lot of white..Nebraska is a glaring white hole..

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not knocking AT&T but that map does look pretty white. I would have thought they would've had almost the whole united states covered before talking about 4g. seems at this point they should just skip 3g and roll with the 4g.

I'm not sure (will look again) but Verizon's 4g map has almost the same coverage as AT&T's 3g map and Verizon just started the roll out ......

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakattack View Post
    Not knocking AT&T but that map does look pretty white. I would have thought they would've had almost the whole united states covered before talking about 4g. seems at this point they should just skip 3g and roll with the 4g.

I'm not sure (will look again) but Verizon's 4g map has almost the same coverage as AT&T's 3g map and Verizon just started the roll out ......

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Ha! No VZW's 4G map does not. The map they have been showing widely is their CDMA network coverage map with black dots in cities where they have LTE. VZW's total LTE footprint wouldn't even fill one of the Dakotas.

The Alltel divestiture group to AT&T was the luckiest bunch of Alltel customers there ever was. They got new phones (often upgrades for free), got to keep their plan, AND got a 4G (21 Mbps HSPA+) network too. Since AT&T is adding substantial backhaul to the Alltel properties when they convert them, nearly the entire divestiture market will be capable of 4G speeds at launch.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ha! No VZW's 4G map does not. The map they have been showing widely is their CDMA network coverage map with black dots in cities where they have LTE. VZW's total LTE footprint wouldn't even fill one of the Dakotas.

The Alltel divestiture group to AT&T was the luckiest bunch of Alltel customers there ever was. They got new phones (often upgrades for free), got to keep their plan, AND got a 4G (21 Mbps HSPA+) network too. Since AT&T is adding substantial backhaul to the Alltel properties when they convert them, nearly the entire divestiture market will be capable of 4G speeds at launch.
    Your making it sound way better then it is speed wise. I highly doubt that ATT will deploy a 21 HSPA+( maybe the radio equipment but never the backhaul ) in the divested areas. It will be the 7.2 speeds which will be around 3-4MB down. I know you love ATT to death but its not even close to 4G speeds. I don't care what the carriers call it. I haven't seen anywhere on the forums where anybody on ATT is getting 21 HSPA+ speeds it seems to be capped around 7 down.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Your making it sound way better then it is speed wise. I highly doubt that ATT will deploy a 21 HSPA+( maybe the radio equipment but never the backhaul ) in the divested areas. It will be the 7.2 speeds which will be around 3-4MB down. I know you love ATT to death but its not even close to 4G speeds. I don't care what the carriers call it. I haven't seen anywhere on the forums where anybody on ATT is getting 21 HSPA+ speeds it seems to be capped around 7 down.
    1) The radio equipment already is deployed
    2) There isn't much backhaul needed for 4G speeds in those rural areas. The beautiful thing about nobody living there, is that nobody is there to use the network. Thus, the backhaul they are deploying should be more than sufficient for 4G speeds.
    3) The backhaul is mostly all microwave based. As in, a fast connection needs to be brought to very few towers to have a large area light up.
    4) HSPA+ EASILY is 4G speeds. T-Mobile HSPA+ users are getting 16-20Mbps with great frequency--those are the same peak speeds that is being seen with VZW's LTE. And again, there is NO population density in the divested areas--AT&T can EASILY use dual-carrier HSPA+ and give real world speeds of 32+Mbps.
    5) AT&T might be capping HSPA+ speeds NOW, but when they finally roll out HSPA+ devices (other than the Shockwave), it is likely they will lift the cap.
    6) There is nothing stopping VZW from capping LTE at 12Mbps when people start using it. In fact, it isn't unlikely they will do this.

Don't kid yourself--AT&T is lightyears ahead of any other carrier in bringing 4G to rural areas.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4) HSPA+ EASILY is 4G speeds. T-Mobile HSPA+ users are getting 16-20Mbps with great frequency--those are the same peak speeds that is being seen with VZW's LTE.
    I know HSPA+ is fast. I've seen some awesome T-Mobile speed tests but AT&T don't have anything close to VZW LTE and T-Mobile as far as max speed. Even ATT says "up to 7MB down". I have been using an iPhone the last 2 weeks and the speeds are not consistent at all. It can be fast one minute then the next its horribly slow and the latency is alway way up there sometime way over 1000ms. My VZW line is alway around 1.5MB down with latency around 150-200ms never seems to matter when I test. Slow and steady but always works when I need it no matter where I am.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast