Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3G Coverage Official

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Your making it sound way better then it is speed wise. I highly doubt that ATT will deploy a 21 HSPA+( maybe the radio equipment but never the backhaul ) in the divested areas. It will be the 7.2 speeds which will be around 3-4MB down. I know you love ATT to death but its not even close to 4G speeds. I don't care what the carriers call it. I haven't seen anywhere on the forums where anybody on ATT is getting 21 HSPA+ speeds it seems to be capped around 7 down.
    Yeah it's just not feasible or possible to get true HSPA+ with "enhanced" backhaul to much of these areas.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    I know HSPA+ is fast. I've seen some awesome T-Mobile speed tests but AT&T don't have anything close to VZW LTE and T-Mobile as far as max speed. Even ATT says "up to 7MB down". I have been using an iPhone the last 2 weeks and the speeds are not consistent at all. It can be fast one minute then the next its horribly slow and the latency is alway way up there sometime way over 1000ms. My VZW line is alway around 1.5MB down with latency around 150-200ms never seems to matter when I test. Slow and steady but always works when I need it no matter where I am.
    AT&T has the problem of having lots of users in populated parts. VZW has virtually nobody on their LTE network, and T-Mobile has little load per tower--thus the consistently fast speeds

In Alltel divested areas, this is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    Yeah it's just not feasible or possible to get true HSPA+ with "enhanced" backhaul to much of these areas.
    Wrong. Most of the backhaul is Microwave. All it is takes is a ethernet, fiber, or bundles of T3 lines to a few sites to provide all the backhaul they need. There aren't enough subscribers for it to need any more.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    Ha! No VZW's 4G map does not. The map they have been showing widely is their CDMA network coverage map with black dots in cities where they have LTE. VZW's total LTE footprint wouldn't even fill one of the Dakotas.

The Alltel divestiture group to AT&T was the luckiest bunch of Alltel customers there ever was. They got new phones (often upgrades for free), got to keep their plan, AND got a 4G (21 Mbps HSPA+) network too. Since AT&T is adding substantial backhaul to the Alltel properties when they convert them, nearly the entire divestiture market will be capable of 4G speeds at launch.
    ok so what's up with all the white on that map?

edit: what kind of coverage is in the white area?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakattack View Post
    ok so what's up with all the white on that map?

edit: what kind of coverage is in the white area?

I'm not quite sure whose maps you are talking about. If you are looking at VZW's you will need to click "4G Data Coverage" and then click the "refresh map" button below it. The darkest red is the LTE and the normal red is their 3G. The white areas are where VZW does not have service (though some parts of the white space is partner roaming).

If you are looking at AT&T's March 31st 2011 coverage map, the darkest blue is where they have mobile broadband now. The light blue is the coverage that will be up by March 31. The white space is a mix of 2G service/roaming/none (mostly 2G).

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm not quite sure whose maps you are talking about. If you are looking at VZW's you will need to click "4G Data Coverage" and then click the "refresh map" button below it. The darkest red is the LTE and the normal red is their 3G. The white areas are where VZW does not have service (though some parts of the white space is partner roaming).

If you are looking at AT&T's March 31st 2011 coverage map, the darkest blue is where they have mobile broadband now. The light blue is the coverage that will be up by March 31. The white space is a mix of 2G service/roaming/none (mostly 2G).
    sorry that I wasn't clear on which map but I was asking about the at&t map. there is not much dark blue area on that at&t map from what I see. it looks like it will be alot better once the light blue is up and running.

what has at&t been doing all this time to have so little 3g coverage to date?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    sorry that I wasn't clear on which map but I was asking about the at&t map. there is not much dark blue area on that at&t map from what I see. it looks like it will be alot better once the light blue is up and running.

AT&T's 3G network is not like VZW's 3G network buildout. AT&T had to deploy an entirely new network on top of their 2G one. It is equivalent to VZW building out their LTE network. Additionally, AT&T had to deploy their 3G network in existing spectrum that is shared with 2G. In places of limited spectrum, AT&T can't deploy 3G until most users are on it.

Additionally, AT&T has been building up urban coverage. They have the most capacity of any carrier in all the major cities. If you go strictly by the number of towers that have 3G coverage, AT&T has the most. Now that the urban areas are built out well, AT&T is focusing more on the rural areas--this goes faster, however, as a single tower can cover a large distance.

The above really isn't a terribly good excuse--because AT&T certainly had/has the money to do it all at once--but they also ran into an equipment shortage. Their suppliers can't produce the equipment they need fast enough to keep up with how many AT&T wants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    AT&T's 3G network is not like VZW's 3G network buildout. AT&T had to deploy an entirely new network on top of their 2G one. It is equivalent to VZW building out their LTE network. Additionally, AT&T had to deploy their 3G network in existing spectrum that is shared with 2G. In places of limited spectrum, AT&T can't deploy 3G until most users are on it.

Additionally, AT&T has been building up urban coverage. They have the most capacity of any carrier in all the major cities. If you go strictly by the number of towers that have 3G coverage, AT&T has the most. Now that the urban areas are built out well, AT&T is focusing more on the rural areas--this goes faster, however, as a single tower can cover a large distance.

The above really isn't a terribly good excuse--because AT&T certainly had/has the money to do it all at once--but they also ran into an equipment shortage. Their suppliers can't produce the equipment they need fast enough to keep up with how many AT&T wants.
    Are you on crack or something? AT&T was heavily underinvesting in their network and they had to play catchup to demand. That's why they're so far behind Verizon right now.

See above. Not a lack of money, a lack of wanting to part with it is the #1 reason
    AT&T has the problem of having lots of users in populated parts. VZW has virtually nobody on their LTE network, and T-Mobile has little load per tower--thus the consistently fast speeds

In Alltel divested areas, this is not a problem.

Wrong. Most of the backhaul is Microwave. All it is takes is a ethernet, fiber, or bundles of T3 lines to a few sites to provide all the backhaul they need. There aren't enough subscribers for it to need any more.
    I guess anything is possible when you're AT&T. I'm sorry but it's just not that easy.. you CAN'T get this kind of backhaul to the microwave sites. It's NOT going to happen.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    Are you on crack or something? AT&T was heavily underinvesting in their network and they had to play catchup to demand. That's why they're so far behind Verizon right now.

See above. Not a lack of money, a lack of wanting to part with it is the #1 reason

I guess anything is possible when you're AT&T. I'm sorry but it's just not that easy.. you CAN'T get this kind of backhaul to the microwave sites. It's NOT going to happen.
    You might actually want to lookup the real facts. Find out the total investment over the last 10 years.

You absolutely can get fiber or metro ethernet. You are sorely mistaken if you think there is not a fast enough backhaul to tap into--there is a ton of fiber in all of the divestiture states. As one example, here are all the counties in SD that have providers that can run fiber networks:

Aurora County Fiber Network
    Beadle County Fiber Network
    Bennett County Fiber Network
    Bon Homme County Fiber Network
    Brookings County Fiber Network
    Brown County Fiber Network
    Brule County Fiber Network
    Buffalo County Fiber Network
    Butte County Fiber Network
    Campbell County Fiber Network
    Charles Mix County Fiber Network
    Clark County Fiber Network
    Clay County Fiber Network
    Codington County Fiber Network
    Corson County Fiber Network
    Custer County Fiber Network
    Davison County Fiber Network
    Day County Fiber Network
    Deuel County Fiber Network
    Dewey County Fiber Network
    Douglas County Fiber Network
    Edmunds County Fiber Network
    Fall River County Fiber Network
    Faulk County Fiber Network
    Grant County Fiber Network
    Gregory County Fiber Network
    Haakon County Fiber Network
    Hamlin County Fiber Network
    Hand County Fiber Network
    Hanson County Fiber Network
    Harding County Fiber Network
    Hughes County Fiber Network
    Hutchinson County Fiber Network
    Hyde County Fiber Network
    Jackson County Fiber Network
    Jerauld County Fiber Network
    Jones County Fiber Network
    Kingsbury County Fiber Network
    Lake County Fiber Network
    Lawrence County Fiber Network
    Lincoln County Fiber Network
    Lyman County Fiber Network
    Marshall County Fiber Network
    McCook County Fiber Network
    McPherson County Fiber Network
    Meade County Fiber Network
    Mellette County Fiber Network
    Miner County Fiber Network
    Minnehaha County Fiber Network
    Moody County Fiber Network
    Pennington County Fiber Network
    Perkins County Fiber Network
    Potter County Fiber Network
    Roberts County Fiber Network
    Sanborn County Fiber Network
    Shannon County Fiber Network
    Spink County Fiber Network
    Stanley County Fiber Network
    Sully County Fiber Network
    Todd County Fiber Network
    Tripp County Fiber Network
    Turner County Fiber Network
    Union County Fiber Network
    Walworth County Fiber Network
    Yankton County Fiber Network
    Ziebach County Fiber Network

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Kies, you can get 1gbps+ on microwave, no problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    Kies, you can get 1gbps+ on microwave, no problem.
    .....Okay?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You claimed that you couldn't get adequate backhaul on microwave. You absolutely can. I don't know any details of THEIR equipment but I do know that microwave technology can absolutely meet their needs to offer HSPA+ and LTE speeds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    You claimed that you couldn't get adequate backhaul on microwave. You absolutely can. I don't know any details of THEIR equipment but I do know that microwave technology can absolutely meet their needs to offer HSPA+ and LTE speeds.
    I said it either wouldn't be possible or feasible to get it TO, there must be a reason why they explicitly say "light blue is 3G coverage not 4G" - where is the HSPA+? It's not going to happen

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They don't say that anywhere! They're say it's future coverage That said, it was pretty established on here previously that the Alltel markets would be 7.2mbps at launch. But AT&T has more incentive now... we shall see what happens. But the limit of microwave backhaul is not going to be their bottleneck. Microwave can actually work well at very high speeds. Traditional copper lines are a much greater bottleneck actually.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Reading from the map:

"Future Mobile Broadband expected to be available by March 31, 2011.
    Map depicts current and future 3G coverage. 4G coverage not depicted."

Those are separate statements, and in no way imply future areas will not be 4G. They say that the map doesn't indicate 4G, but only 3G.

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1295189039873.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  76.0 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1295189039873.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  76.0 KB
    Here is Verizon's map for comparison. Now if you actually go to there website and zoom in on there 4g coverage, it will show dark red areas of 4g coverage instead of the black dots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast