Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3G Coverage Official

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Correct sneak, AT&T isn't publishing a map that shows areas they consider 4G. (NONE of these are IMT-Advanced).

Device(s)
    Current:Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    You might actually want to lookup the real facts. Find out the total investment over the last 10 years.

You absolutely can get fiber or metro ethernet. You are sorely mistaken if you think there is not a fast enough backhaul to tap into--there is a ton of fiber in all of the divestiture states. As one example, here are all the counties in SD that have providers that can run fiber networks:
    As a resident of South Dakota let me be the first to tell you; this sh**hole is as far from anywhere as you can get. Fact.
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    Correct sneak, AT&T isn't publishing a map that shows areas they consider 4G. (NONE of these are IMT-Advanced).
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    You might actually want to lookup the real facts. Find out the total investment over the last 10 years.

You absolutely can get fiber or metro ethernet. You are sorely mistaken if you think there is not a fast enough backhaul to tap into--there is a ton of fiber in all of the divestiture states. As one example, here are all the counties in SD that have providers that can run fiber networks:
    Is that the only state? Nope it sure isn't. Besides that you seem have completely glanced over the fact that AT&T has no active plans to do HSPA+ because it is either COST prohibitive or NOT possible.

They don't say that anywhere! They're say it's future coverage That said, it was pretty established on here previously that the Alltel markets would be 7.2mbps at launch. But AT&T has more incentive now... we shall see what happens. But the limit of microwave backhaul is not going to be their bottleneck. Microwave can actually work well at very high speeds. Traditional copper lines are a much greater bottleneck actually.
    Money is their bottleneck, I never said microwave was the bottle neck.. I said getting the backhaul out to these areas would be a part of the problem.

Reading from the map:

"Future Mobile Broadband expected to be available by March 31, 2011.
    Map depicts current and future 3G coverage. 4G coverage not depicted."

Those are separate statements, and in no way imply future areas will not be 4G. They say that the map doesn't indicate 4G, but only 3G.
    You want to know why? They don't HSPA+ launched in any city meaning they don't have enhanced backhaul to go with the networks. It's not going to happen on rural areas before it happens in big cities. It makes no money sense. They can/may very well say they have HSPA+ without "enhanced backhaul" but that doesn't make it real.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    http://puc.sd.gov/alltel-att/default.aspx

March 7, 2011

The South Dakota PUC sent a request to AT&T officials on Feb. 14 seeking a detailed status report as the company completes its transition to serve wireless telecommunications customers in South Dakota. As soon as a response is received, this FAQ document will be updated.

<<< This would likely be a good page to keep an eye on and hopefully get some better up to date info soon.

This is kind of on a side note. But something to keep note of:

It was recently pointed out in the Rapid City Journal that the Black Hills in the next 2 years will likely experience an oil boom. (Gold, oil, tourism....this place has it all.) As it stands SD DOES have the capability and ability to handle backhaul for 4G. (Fiber optics are all over the place here. Primarily due to Midcontinent and a few others.) Rapid City has been slid onto the list supposedly to get VZW 4G LTE this year. I would expect the Dakotas in general to see a major boost the next few years in terms of what they will be getting wirelessly by AT&T and Verizon.

So what does this all mean? Anyone thinking AT&T can't or won't add proper backhaul in the Dakotas is wrong. Anyone thinking the Dakotas and MN (per the map) won't have '4G' soon is wrong. That map is under the AT&T 4G area of their site. And as they say on it right next to that map in my first post:

"AT&T has deployed HSPA+ to virtually 100% of our nation's fastest mobile broadband network, which enables 4G speeds when combined with enhanced backhaul. We are rapidly expanding enhanced backhaul to cell sites throughout the country, adding new cell sites weekly."

HSPA+ has technically been re-branded 4G. (Or you can call it 3G.5)And the Alltel acquired areas on that map DO have HSPA+. So while it's being advertised 3G, in reality it is HSPA+ 4G. At least for most areas.

"AT&T is constantly deploying upgraded backhaul to deliver 4G speeds. By the end of 2011, we expect approximately 2/3 of our mobile broadband traffic to be delivered over our enhanced network. For information on currently available 4G markets, see 4G Speed from AT&T and select the Coverage map." <<< The coverage map it states here is the one in my first post and the one many of you have been debating about.

LTE may be later. But when it comes to their 'other 4G' HSPA+ with backhaul, it WILL be available in those places shown on that map around the end of March early April.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-c...ionId=KB115948

"AT&T recently upgraded the software of its mobile broadband network to HSPA+ (High Speed Packet Access). When HSPA+ is combined with enhanced backhaul, AT&T’s already fast mobile broadband network will deliver even faster speeds.

This evolution sets the stage for another 4G speed upgrade later this year when AT&T begins the planned initial deployment of its LTE (Long Term Evolution) network in mid-2011. Once completed, AT&T will be the only carrier to offer two layers of network technology delivering 4G speeds: HSPA+ and LTE."

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-c...ionId=KB115944
    Last edited by whitetigergrowl; 03-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Feedback Score
    You claimed that you couldn't get adequate backhaul on microwave. You absolutely can. I don't know any details of THEIR equipment but I do know that microwave technology can absolutely meet their needs to offer HSPA+ and LTE speeds.
    I wonder why AT&T changed out the whole MW network with these?

http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/wps/po...cle_000955.xml

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Um, one - Lucent did the network design. Two - an all-IP infrastructure is highly beneficial on many levels. Enough said

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    http://puc.sd.gov/alltel-att/default.aspx

Has been updated. Worth checking out and may answer some peoples questions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3