Thread: Straight Talk with AT&T Microcell

Feedback Score

Straight Talk with AT&T Microcell

Since it seems a Straight Talk GMS phones can be registered for use with an AT&T Microcell ..

here:http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...th-straightalk

... and it actually works. I was wondering if this is an option for us Straight Talk users? My sister couldn't get good reception inside her house with the E71 she tried. Could this help? I'm confused about the monthly unlimited fee. It seems the mini-tower works without the monthly fee, but that AT&T customers get charged per call in that case? Anyone have any idea if this would work with Straight Talks E71 and Unlimited plan?

Thanks

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If you get the 3G MicroCell Unlimited calliing options, calls initiated on the MicroCell do not count against your regular AT&T minutes. If you do not have the plan, your regular minutes are used. With unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes, unlimited nights and weekend minutes, rollover and A-Lists, there is really little need for the Unlimited 3G MicroCell option. Some get the plan to get a rebate on the device and cancel after receiving the rebate.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Just got a used microcell on craigslist. I had to use my parents wireless att account to activate it and told them that the micro cell is going to be at work since the microcell has gps to let them know where its located. After the device was activated both my wife's and my straight talk phones connected after a restart and signal is great.

FYI the device was still associated with the owners account. I gave att his number and they called him to verify the device was sold. If you are getting a device on craigslist or ebay just make sure to call and get the device deactivated before you get it so there are no issues.

But for all that want to know i have an iPhone 4 and 3GS on ST with a micro cell working connected to an active att wireless account. so make sure you have someone to activate it and add your number that has an att wireless account.

Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    I m also using my ST phone number in a microcell. I used my friend's account to activate it and it works fine.

Feedback Score
    What kinda speed you getting through the microcell? It for voice only or data too?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    its for voice and data. The speed is about the same as I get outside. 1 - 2mbs down & 1 up. I have wifi at my house so i didnt care about data. just needed it for voice and sms. i had 1 bar max in my house and now have 5 all the time on the micro cell. voice is great now.

Feedback Score
    Do it improve your battery life of the device? I imagine it may since you say you were getting 1 bar. Battery is under more stress when keeping up with a poor signal. So since you get full bars now does the battery go further?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Carrier
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It will work if the microcell is registered under the actual AT&T account of someone else.

Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Yes definitely improve the battery life..I used to get only 1 bar and after Microcell i have 5 bars. Before Microcell my battery will drain at least 20% during night, and now it is not even draining 5%.

Feedback Score
    I cant say much about battery life. I never had the 3g toggled on in settings since i was always on edge only with Tmobile. The day after I got straight talk i had to get the micro cell due to poor signal. Now I turned on 3g and bluetooth and the battery sux. Gonna turn off bluetooth tonight.

But now that I think of it I have a mini cell tower in my house. Not sure I feel safe from the gamma rays. may have to take it upstairs to the mother in laws house

Feedback Score
    Our Microcell has given full bars (we have NONE without the Microcell) to every 3G data GSM phone I've tried...regardless of carrier. The phones do not need to be AT&T branded phones as specified (why would they want you to know this is a universal GSM signal booster?), but CDMA models (phones that are not on a network that uses SIM cards like Verizon) will not be able to connect from the Microcell. If you run into a case where your 3G GSM phone does NOT work with the Microcell, you probably need to search for the correct APN settings (or misc. network settings in your phone menu) to allow the phone to detect and use the Microcell. Usually, if your phone has correct settings to allow it to use 3G data, it will pick up the Microcell. I've been using the Microcell with my Net10 phone (we have another AT&T user at home who controls the Microcell). We are both soon switching to Tracfone, and will have to see if the Microcell still functions without an AT&T account tied to the device (you can manage it online). We are getting 3G compatible LG 840G Tracfone phones, and are assuming they'll work as expected with the Microcell, as long as it doesn't disconnect itself when the only AT&T account associated with it is terminated.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I have one of these at home and at the office. I live in a rural area that has 1 bar in the driveway but no service inside. Now I have 5 bars inside and at the office same type problem. The office is in a heavily built concrete building and in a tourist area that gets heavy traffic and no cell service because the tower is overloaded.

With the microcell tower I have 5 full bars in the office even if the tower is overloaded.