Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The ULTIMATE guide to keitais!

Carrier(s)
    O2 UK
    Feedback Score
    Hi guys I'm new here.
    I've read a lot of info on japanese phones but there are some things I can't find answers to.

Most of you guys are from Canada or USA but does anyone know if they work well or at all in the UK?
    I only use SMS and calling as well as multimedia functions on Pay as you go (no need for video calls/internet etc)

Also if I was to buy a used phone from Yahoo Auctions Japan, how exactly would I go about doing the software unlock on it?
    Do I need to send it to someone/internet unlock code/ download software?

Cheers!
    specal_kei (yes as in the cereal )

Also I would like to know about the naming of the Docomo phones.
    What is the order of the series numbers? It seems that the 01 series is the latest, which is confusing.
    Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Telstra Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure IonNuke could answer your UK question. If I can recall correctly, he said something about O2 or something not working properly. What is your carrier?

Only some models can be software unlocked. You can get them software unlocked by sending it to Hong Kong or China. Ask zerox678. If you get a software unlocked keitai, you won't need to worry about signal issues and will be able to you any SIM.

The numbers go from 01-09. Then it goes from A-Z.
    So, for example the Sharp AQUOS SHOT models: SH-06A, SH-01B, SH-07B, SH-01C
    As you can see, the numbers and letters are sequential, but the missing numbers are other models from the other series (STYLE, PRO, SMART) from the same season.
    The Sheep Butler at your service
    Currently using: iPhone 4S

Previous phones: 3210.3200.X430.V200.K750i.RAZR V3i.5300 XpressMusic.N73.W910i.iPhone 3G.W595.E71.SH-07B.iPhone 4S.iPhone 5.Note II.XPERIA Z.XPERIA Z1.Note 3.F-02D.XPERIA Z2.LG G3.XPERIA Z3

Carrier(s)
    O2 UK
    Feedback Score
    Ah I'm on O2! The luck!

My brother goes to HK every week for work, perhaps he can find a shop that can unlock them.
    Do you know how much it would cost approximately?

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia Z5 Premium E6853
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / T-Mobile Germany / Orange Poland /
    Feedback Score
    I've only had problems with O2 Germany. I think my O2 UK sim works. T-Mobile UK and Vodafone UK obviously works lol.

It's all good (^_^)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...668534-IonNuke <<< My Feedback... rising from the dead.

Everyone's on their own for hypersims. I'm out har har har har har~~~~

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by special_kei View Post
    Hi guys I'm new here.
    I've read a lot of info on japanese phones but there are some things I can't find answers to.

Most of you guys are from Canada or USA but does anyone know if they work well or at all in the UK?
    I only use SMS and calling as well as multimedia functions on Pay as you go (no need for video calls/internet etc)

Also if I was to buy a used phone from Yahoo Auctions Japan, how exactly would I go about doing the software unlock on it?
    Do I need to send it to someone/internet unlock code/ download software?

Cheers!
    specal_kei (yes as in the cereal )

Also I would like to know about the naming of the Docomo phones.
    What is the order of the series numbers? It seems that the 01 series is the latest, which is confusing.
    Thanks!
    If you want a cheap-as-chips phone, there's a 911T and a 920T going on eBay UK right now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SoftBank-Toshi...item336521bf4b
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SoftBank-Toshi...item336521cf3e

Very low starting price and I suspect they will end low. I had a 911T before, it was a solid phone. It runs on 3G W-CDMA 2100mhz, make sure your O2 SIM works on 3G, because some of the prepaid ones don't work on 3G... O2 do 3G sims for prepaid though. If the phone you're using it in atm is 3G, no issues. What I've just said applies to the 911T I used, and most likely the 920T... see what the other guys here have to say on Japanese phones.... because there's a lot of factors that contribute to using a phone here.

Note:
    - no data (as with most japanese phones)
    - no roaming (had to get local sim cards when I went travelling around Europe a few years ago)
    - no mp3's (use the BeatJam software to convert. Converted music will work with A2DP bluetooth headsets)
    - 2100mhz w-cdma only.... so that does mean certain parts of the world are blackspots. i.e. NO GSM. (coverage is fine for London and in the south for Vodafone and 3. If you get these phones my advice is to switch your current phone to UTMS/W-CDMA only and use it for a week or two to see where the black spots are, which is what I did before I bought the 911T.)
    - Camera works, no issue.

Note:
    ALL the above is relevant for the 911T model only.

Carrier(s)
    O2 UK
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply guys

Good to hear that O2 will work, phew.

My current sim card doesn't seem to have any reception in UTMS mode, and in dual mode it just selects GSM all the time anyway, I guess I can use GSM only.

I do have a spare Vodafone sim though, would be cool if it works, going to have to do some testing..

Thanks again guys!

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by special_kei View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys

Good to hear that O2 will work, phew.

My current sim card doesn't seem to have any reception in UTMS mode, and in dual mode it just selects GSM all the time anyway, I guess I can use GSM only.

I do have a spare Vodafone sim though, would be cool if it works, going to have to do some testing..

Thanks again guys!
    If you want to stick to O2, speak to them about it. Chances are they will give you a new SIM card, they might even port your number over... with a PAC code... don't ask me why they need one, as it's within the same network, but I know that's the scenario with Orange users who are in the same boat as you. Makes you wonder why they can't enable it or whatever... though I don't know how SIM cards work. Every Vodafone sim I have used has worked on 2G or 3G flawlessly, both contract and PAYG, no issues. Don't know why the other networks faff about, this dates back to the days when 3G was much more exclusive, but why keep it exclusive when technology is trying to move on is beyond me.

Nearing end of contract? Call retentions and see what they can do =D

Carrier(s)
    O2 UK
    Feedback Score
    Oh I didn't know there was such thing as a 3G sim card for O2, but then again my one is pretty old from 2007 I think.

Anyway thanks for the tip I'll try contacting them about it.

Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    We might be able to add the 940SH to the "soft-unlock" list. For 1300RMB/US$200+, supposedly. Not cheap, and I don't have one to test. But food for thought.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    zero mentioned that around now (feb) to march was when it should be coming out. Tempting to get

Device(s)
    sh-06a, f-01a
    Carrier(s)
    at&t singtel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No wonder all the cheap 940sh are sold out on taobao.
    EVERYTHING'S GONE

Device(s)
    HTC One X LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers | Three HK
    Feedback Score
    i should get mine sw unlocked... breathe life into it. maybe then i'll use it more lol.
    iPhone 6s | N-06C

Device(s)
    too many to place them here
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    if 940sh is sw then i might get one
    We lose as much as we gain through life, and that includes who we used to be.

I WANT TO BUY A FUJITSU ESPRIMO DH550!!

Device(s)
    HTC One X LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers | Three HK
    Feedback Score
    Congrats on sticky

Carrier(s)
    Telstra Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yamanote View Post
    Congrats on sticky