Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can Digital/Analog phones still be used/activated on Verizon?

Feedback Score

can Digital/Analog phones still be used/activated on Verizon?

I have a couple of old Motorola V60 and E815 phones. Also have an "antique" BellAtlantic
    Motorola StarTac from 1997. They run on digital/analog bands.

Can those phones still be used/activated on Verizon network? (as extra lines on my existing acct)

Come to think of it, does Verizon still have analog system in their network?

ThankS!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokedfish View Post
    I have a couple of old Motorola V60 and E815 phones. They run on digital/analog
    bands.

Can those phones still be used/activated on Verizon network?

Come to think of it, does Verizon still have analog system in their network?

ThankS!
    Verizon, as well as the other carriers, turned off their analog system several years ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Verizon, as well as the other carriers, turned off their analog system several years ago.
    so my old Motorola digital/analog phones can no longer be used?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokedfish View Post
    so my old Motorola digital/analog phones can no longer be used?
    Not sure if Verizon is still willing to activate it (supposedly they will only activate phones that support E911), but if it is possible to activate it on Verizon, then it will only connect using digital.

Feedback Score
    You can activate the E815 since it is E911 capable but the others can not be activated. Verizon no longer has an analog network.

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwempne View Post
    You can activate the E815 since it is E911 capable but the others can not be activated. Verizon no longer has an analog network.
    In summary, the phone must support both digital (CDMA) AND support e911. There are some analog/digital phones that qualify; these would be the later analog/digital models in the time period where they still sold phones that supported analog, but the phone also had e911 support. The analog part of the phone would not be used, since there are no analog cell sites any more (in the U.S., anyway).

I have a E815 active on my account (sort of a backup line), so I can definitively say that it still is usable on the VZW network.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    E815 is definitely OK. It's not that old, and it was ahead of its time when it came out. It even has 3G.

Apparently any CDMA phone can be used on Page Plus, but name-brand Verizon requires it to be new enough to have the GPS/E911 function.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    In summary, the phone must support both digital (CDMA) AND support e911. There are some analog/digital phones that qualify; these would be the later analog/digital models in the time period where they still sold phones that supported analog, but the phone also had e911 support. The analog part of the phone would not be used, since there are no analog cell sites any more (in the U.S., anyway).

I have a E815 active on my account (sort of a backup line), so I can definitively say that it still is usable on the VZW network.
    I got bored on a snowy/icy night with nothing to do. Power went out and I'm
    running my laptop on spare batteries. I had Verizon activate my old Motorola V60
    and it is now working like a charm. I forgot how good the voice quality was on
    the littele V60.(compared to my Verizon Samsun Fascinate and AT&T iPhone 4)

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Verizon, as well as the other carriers, turned off their analog system
    Not all of them, Golden State Cellular here in CA runs both analog and digital, as well as some other carriers across the nation, but for the big 5 (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, U.S. Cellular) it's dead.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    LOL... I stick have my 5 year old LG VX3300. I last used it about 2 years ago when I had to wait for a refurbished phone to arrive in the mail

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Not all of them, Golden State Cellular here in CA runs both analog and digital, as well as some other carriers across the nation, but for the big 5 (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, U.S. Cellular) it's dead.
    Actually, the "Big 5" would be AT&T, VZW, Sprint/NEXTEL, T-Mobile, and metroPCS. metro has over 8 million customers, USCC has just over 5. In fact, within the next couple of quarters, Cricket is bound to eclipse USCC for the #6 spot.

Of course, Sprint/NEXTEL, T-Mobile, and metroPCS never had any analog to begin with.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Actually, the "Big 5" would be AT&T, VZW, Sprint/NEXTEL, T-Mobile, and metroPCS. metro has over 8 million customers, USCC has just over 5. In fact, within the next couple of quarters, Cricket is bound to eclipse USCC for the #6 spot.

Of course, Sprint/NEXTEL, T-Mobile, and metroPCS never had any analog to begin with.
    Okay then, the big 6 Up here, Metro PCS's coverage is VERY limited, ie.Ukiah, Hopland, Clearlake, Lakeport, Eureka., though you can roam for free with them.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I miss those old phones. I had an old LG VX6100 that had analog support and I used that ******* all over Alabama back when VZW didn't even offer service in my area. I was stuck on AT&T(cingular) and remember going to vzw's website at least once a month to see if I could get service. I actually signed up with a tennessee address and number and used the phone in Alabama instead. I had better coverage with that device than back then than I do TODAY with my att captivate!!!

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have an old CDMA phone that even has the Verizon logo on it. VZW would not (re-) activate it because they (falsely) claim it doesn't support E911. Well, actually, because it is not on their list of E911 capable phones. I offered to fax them the page out of its manual that clearly states it supports E911, but they made it clear to me, they don't care. If it is not on their E911 list, then as far as they are concerned, it does not have it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    I have an old CDMA phone that even has the Verizon logo on it. VZW would not (re-) activate it because they (falsely) claim it doesn't support E911. Well, actually, because it is not on their list of E911 capable phones. I offered to fax them the page out of its manual that clearly states it supports E911, but they made it clear to me, they don't care. If it is not on their E911 list, then as far as they are concerned, it does not have it.
    what happens if you do it on the Verizon website? that's how I activated my old phone and had no problems.... (but I only tried it
    with the antique Motorola E815 and V60 phones)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast