Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: can Digital/Analog phones still be used/activated on Verizon?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    Feedback Score
    0

    can Digital/Analog phones still be used/activated on Verizon?

    I have a couple of old Motorola V60 and E815 phones. Also have an "antique" BellAtlantic
    Motorola StarTac from 1997. They run on digital/analog bands.

    Can those phones still be used/activated on Verizon network? (as extra lines on my existing acct)

    Come to think of it, does Verizon still have analog system in their network?

    ThankS!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,470
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokedfish View Post
    I have a couple of old Motorola V60 and E815 phones. They run on digital/analog
    bands.

    Can those phones still be used/activated on Verizon network?

    Come to think of it, does Verizon still have analog system in their network?

    ThankS!
    Verizon, as well as the other carriers, turned off their analog system several years ago.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Verizon, as well as the other carriers, turned off their analog system several years ago.
    so my old Motorola digital/analog phones can no longer be used?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,470
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokedfish View Post
    so my old Motorola digital/analog phones can no longer be used?
    Not sure if Verizon is still willing to activate it (supposedly they will only activate phones that support E911), but if it is possible to activate it on Verizon, then it will only connect using digital.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can activate the E815 since it is E911 capable but the others can not be activated. Verizon no longer has an analog network.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    San Francisco area
    Posts
    2,412
    Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwempne View Post
    You can activate the E815 since it is E911 capable but the others can not be activated. Verizon no longer has an analog network.
    In summary, the phone must support both digital (CDMA) AND support e911. There are some analog/digital phones that qualify; these would be the later analog/digital models in the time period where they still sold phones that supported analog, but the phone also had e911 support. The analog part of the phone would not be used, since there are no analog cell sites any more (in the U.S., anyway).

    I have a E815 active on my account (sort of a backup line), so I can definitively say that it still is usable on the VZW network.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,762
    Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    E815 is definitely OK. It's not that old, and it was ahead of its time when it came out. It even has 3G.

    Apparently any CDMA phone can be used on Page Plus, but name-brand Verizon requires it to be new enough to have the GPS/E911 function.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    In summary, the phone must support both digital (CDMA) AND support e911. There are some analog/digital phones that qualify; these would be the later analog/digital models in the time period where they still sold phones that supported analog, but the phone also had e911 support. The analog part of the phone would not be used, since there are no analog cell sites any more (in the U.S., anyway).

    I have a E815 active on my account (sort of a backup line), so I can definitively say that it still is usable on the VZW network.
    I got bored on a snowy/icy night with nothing to do. Power went out and I'm
    running my laptop on spare batteries. I had Verizon activate my old Motorola V60
    and it is now working like a charm. I forgot how good the voice quality was on
    the littele V60.(compared to my Verizon Samsun Fascinate and AT&T iPhone 4)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Posts
    25,895
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Verizon, as well as the other carriers, turned off their analog system
    Not all of them, Golden State Cellular here in CA runs both analog and digital, as well as some other carriers across the nation, but for the big 5 (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, U.S. Cellular) it's dead.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,189
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    LOL... I stick have my 5 year old LG VX3300. I last used it about 2 years ago when I had to wait for a refurbished phone to arrive in the mail

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,543
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Not all of them, Golden State Cellular here in CA runs both analog and digital, as well as some other carriers across the nation, but for the big 5 (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, U.S. Cellular) it's dead.
    Actually, the "Big 5" would be AT&T, VZW, Sprint/NEXTEL, T-Mobile, and metroPCS. metro has over 8 million customers, USCC has just over 5. In fact, within the next couple of quarters, Cricket is bound to eclipse USCC for the #6 spot.

    Of course, Sprint/NEXTEL, T-Mobile, and metroPCS never had any analog to begin with.

    PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Posts
    25,895
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Actually, the "Big 5" would be AT&T, VZW, Sprint/NEXTEL, T-Mobile, and metroPCS. metro has over 8 million customers, USCC has just over 5. In fact, within the next couple of quarters, Cricket is bound to eclipse USCC for the #6 spot.

    Of course, Sprint/NEXTEL, T-Mobile, and metroPCS never had any analog to begin with.
    Okay then, the big 6 Up here, Metro PCS's coverage is VERY limited, ie.Ukiah, Hopland, Clearlake, Lakeport, Eureka., though you can roam for free with them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    206
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I miss those old phones. I had an old LG VX6100 that had analog support and I used that ******* all over Alabama back when VZW didn't even offer service in my area. I was stuck on AT&T(cingular) and remember going to vzw's website at least once a month to see if I could get service. I actually signed up with a tennessee address and number and used the phone in Alabama instead. I had better coverage with that device than back then than I do TODAY with my att captivate!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,896
    Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have an old CDMA phone that even has the Verizon logo on it. VZW would not (re-) activate it because they (falsely) claim it doesn't support E911. Well, actually, because it is not on their list of E911 capable phones. I offered to fax them the page out of its manual that clearly states it supports E911, but they made it clear to me, they don't care. If it is not on their E911 list, then as far as they are concerned, it does not have it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    I have an old CDMA phone that even has the Verizon logo on it. VZW would not (re-) activate it because they (falsely) claim it doesn't support E911. Well, actually, because it is not on their list of E911 capable phones. I offered to fax them the page out of its manual that clearly states it supports E911, but they made it clear to me, they don't care. If it is not on their E911 list, then as far as they are concerned, it does not have it.
    what happens if you do it on the Verizon website? that's how I activated my old phone and had no problems.... (but I only tried it
    with the antique Motorola E815 and V60 phones)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do analog capable phones have any better coverage than digital only ones?
    By JamesDan in forum Page Plus Handset and Technical Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
  2. Analog to Digital
    By mbourd25 in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-19-2001, 08:22 AM
  3. Analog to Digital
    By mbourd in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2001, 07:08 AM
  4. Digital > Analog, Analog > Digital Handoffs
    By Bonka in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2001, 08:33 PM
  5. digital to analog
    By trunkszero28 in forum Nokia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2001, 10:22 AM

Bookmarks