Thread: do u think metro will ever get sim cards

Carrier
    Metro-PCS
    Feedback Score

do u think metro will ever get sim cards

so i was just thinking about when i used to be on cingular and they switched to sim cards and have hard of some cdma companys that do use sim cards dont know of any personally but heard there out there. any way i was wondering if so does any one think metro would ever use them or maybe switch to gsm(probablly not would be way to expensive and a bit pointless now). Also i was wondering if the Lte sim cards act like the regular sim cards i heard your told never to take them out of the phone is that true? and if they dont work like a regular sim card to where you can swap them in and out of a new phone will they in the future?

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by averagewonder View Post
    so i was just thinking about when i used to be on cingular and they switched to sim cards and have hard of some cdma companys that do use sim cards dont know of any personally but heard there out there. any way i was wondering if so does any one think metro would ever use them or maybe switch to gsm(probablly not would be way to expensive and a bit pointless now). Also i was wondering if the Lte sim cards act like the regular sim cards i heard your told never to take them out of the phone is that true? and if they dont work like a regular sim card to where you can swap them in and out of a new phone will they in the future?
    As far as CDMA carriers using a SIM card...only if it's a dual mode phone (AKA world phone) like the BlackBerry Storm for example. It has a SIM card so you can use it while traveling abroad. Other then that the CDMA mode of the device does not use SIM cards.

The LTE cards are not swappable, they actually authenticate with the devices MEID so if you take it out and put it in to another device it will not work.

LTE technology being so young though you have to give the hackers/modders some time to see what they come up with. I'm sure some kind of hack/crack/unlock method will pop up in the future.

Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wagonis View Post
    As far as CDMA carriers using a SIM card...only if it's a dual mode phone (AKA world phone) like the BlackBerry Storm for example. It has a SIM card so you can use it while traveling abroad. Other then that the CDMA mode of the device does not use SIM cards.

The LTE cards are not swappable, they actually authenticate with the devices MEID so if you take it out and put it in to another device it will not work.

LTE technology being so young though you have to give the hackers/modders some time to see what they come up with. I'm sure some kind of hack/crack/unlock method will pop up in the future.
    where there's a will there's a way lol, though some ways might not be legal, still a way
    HITMAN OF THE METRO MAFIA

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
    where there's a will there's a way lol, though some ways might not be legal, still a way
    I guess whatever works huh? LMAO

Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I guess whatever works huh? LMAO
    exactly, im freakin out bout this damn droid phone coming, im dying with the bb right now.

Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score

The LTE cards are not swappable, they actually so if you take it out and put it in to another device it will not work.

Remember though a while back on here it was confirmed that the first wave of LTE devices were not hot swappable and were divice specific (ie: craft, forte and probably what ever else is released in 2011).

But the second wave that were coming with the VO-LTE ability s were going to be hot swappable and you were going to be able to change the device at will.

now i know this Forte is going to have VO-LTE ability's but no this is still the very beginning of the first wave i dont see any second wave phones logically until maybe the beginning of 2012

and in theory with Vo-lte comes no more use for cdma and no more need to authenticate with the devices MEID. At that point the actual LTE cards authentication protocols will kick in.

they stated a while back that metro was going to go to Data blocks in their pricing tiers when this actually is up and useable.

Phones
    Nokia 6265i sold for too much money :)
    LG Optimus M
    Motorola V325
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    if you're thinking of metro going to gsm sim cards i would say i highly doubt it. i would actually bet on that. i'm not a gambling type of guy either. they do have lte cards as stated previously though.
    Poma Computers Facebook Page

BTM and Bangin Magazines

Hanging out at a photo shoot. Yes, the screen name really does say it all.

Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by allmanallpimp View Post
    if you're thinking of metro going to gsm sim cards i would say i highly doubt it. i would actually bet on that. i'm not a gambling type of guy either. they do have lte cards as stated previously though.
    No i dont mean SIM cards im referring to The LTE cards on the current lte devices...

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    No, I think they would never do that, no sim card, since its for GSM phones, and yes. The samsung craft and some LTE phones would have a card, read:

"When I remove the Craft's battery, there's a card that looks like a SIM card in the phone. What is this?
    It's not a SIM card – so, please, don't take it out. It's called a UICC or Universal Integrated Circuit Card. The UICC is a smart card that lets MetroPCS know that your phone belongs on the network – it authenticates the phone to the network. However, the UICC card does not contain any user information, and once the UICC card is inserted in the Craft, it can only be used in that phone – not in any other device."

So, its not a SIM card, its a UICC card.

source:
    http://www.metropcs.com/4g/faqs/

Phone
    LG Optimus M
    Carrier
    metroPCS
    Feedback Score
    they plan to migrate all users to VOIP with LTE so sim cards may not be out of the question....it will stil lbe cdma-type

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpv190 View Post
    No, I think they would never do that, no sim card, since its for GSM phones, and yes. The samsung craft and some LTE phones would have a card, read:

"When I remove the Craft's battery, there's a card that looks like a SIM card in the phone. What is this?
    It's not a SIM card – so, please, don't take it out. It's called a UICC or Universal Integrated Circuit Card. The UICC is a smart card that lets MetroPCS know that your phone belongs on the network – it authenticates the phone to the network. However, the UICC card does not contain any user information, and once the UICC card is inserted in the Craft, it can only be used in that phone – not in any other device."

So, its not a SIM card, its a UICC card.

source:
    http://www.metropcs.com/4g/faqs/
    I'm pretty sure that they word it like that so that people wont get the idea they can put the cards in GSM phones and have them work. The card its self says "SIM Card" on it...
    h

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    thats cuz it is... gsm sim card and the UICC are physically the same BUT the information encoded is different. they differ on application. Read:

"In a GSM network, the UICC contains a SIM application and in a UMTS network it is the USIM application. A UICC may contain several applications, making it possible for the same smart card to give access to both GSM and UMTS networks, and also provide storage of a phone book and other applications. It is also possible to access a GSM network using an USIM application and it is possible to access UMTS networks using a SIM application with mobile terminals prepared for this. With the UMTS release 5 a new application, the IP multimedia Services Identity Module (ISIM) is required for services in the IMS. The telephone book is a separate application and not part of either subscription information module.
    In a CDMA network, the UICC contains a CSIM application, in addition to 3GPP USIM and SIM applications. A card with all 3 features is called a removable user identitity card, or R-UIM. Thus, the R-UIM card can be inserted into CDMA, GSM, or UMTS handsets, and will work in all three cases."

So yeah, they "are the same" they fit in either slot, but the UICC only works on CDMA phones and GSM SIM cars ONLY on CDMA, unless you are using it on a dual-phone. GSM and CDMA capable

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UICC