Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Cellular?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvmrvmrv View Post
    The problem is that this person doesn't talk objectively about his or her company. It is exactly advertising/spam - to mention only positives and conveniently omit negatives.
    Would you talk about the negatives of your own company? No wireless company does that. All companies have good & bad points.

La times didn't give them a favorable or not favorable impression in my opinion, just listed them along with others.

As far as the Credit Check, I thought that was removed if you allow auto payment from your checking account, credit card or debit card.

Phone
    HTC Incredible 2, LG 220, Nokia 6030
    Carriers
    Page Plus, Lyca
    Tru
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drprepaid View Post
    Username is ConsumerCell... He/she represents the company. She/he is posting in a thread about the company. Doesn't qualify as spam.
    I agree and I appreciated the information that the rep provided.
    Last edited by Bob859; 01-20-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Point being though that they are biased. If you read this past post it sounded like it was canned or scripted.

Its also important to remember that people posting here as 'representing' a company may give false information - not necessarily on purpose but it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by webworm98 View Post
    Would you talk about the negatives of your own company? No wireless company does that. All companies have good & bad points.

La times didn't give them a favorable or not favorable impression in my opinion, just listed them along with others.

As far as the Credit Check, I thought that was removed if you allow auto payment from your checking account, credit card or debit card.

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    Pantech PN-820
    Carrier
    1. Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    A regular user wants to know both "pluses" and "minuses' about the company before making his or her decision. If "minuses" are omitted, the information becomes misleading, just like advertising.

Feedback Score
    Hello All,

Yes, this account is run by a group representing Consumer Cellular. Our goal is the answer questions people have on forums such as these so they can make more informed decisions about what cellular service and phone they want. Of course, Consumer Cellular is not right for everyone's needs, but we at least want to provide potential customers with the information they need to decide if the service is right for them.

We apologize if you feel our message was spam to "OldPro" and respect everyone's opinion and we certainly appreciate the discourse. If you would like to discuss negatives about the company, we would be happy to field questions as providing the very best customer service is at the core of what we do with Consumer Cellular.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    As a technology challenged senior (think approaching 70) woman, let me say Consumer Cellular NEVER entered my mind. I've been on T-mobile prepaid for 5 years currently using a Nokia E 63 which has WiFi and data via the $1.49/day plan when I want it; I also use CaptSmokey6's proxy for just checking Yahoo Finance when I want a limited access to data. My husband is on Page Plus and uses a Motorola Krzr; I've loaded his fav ringtones following instructions I've found on Howard Forums. We're awaiting the arrivial of a recently purchased HTC Eris for which I will do an ESN change on PP. I've also been reading and viewing instructions on how to root the Eris and update the operating system.
    Consumer Cellular is WAY too expensive and too limited for us! Our calling is minimal and rarely exceeds 50 minutes a month. T-mobile's gold plan suits me just fine. Coverage is great everywhere in Texas except west of Kerrville on I-10; roaming is perfect in the panhandle and elsewhere. My husband's Page Plus coverage on Verizon is equally good and now they have 2000 minutes, good for a year, for $80! Don't see how CC could offer anything over our current plans. If you need handholding I'd opt for T-Mobile as the customer service was exceptional the few times I called.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    First you were an employee now you are part of a group representing them. Can we nail this down and stick to a story?

I'm confused why you offer a $60 plan with 2000 minutes and no texts when there are several AT&T MVNOs that offer unlimited voice and text for under $40 with discounts. How does that work to a seniors advantage?

I reall never realized that senior friendly meant more expensive but I learn something new everyday on HoFo since its the number one source of cell phone/plan/carrier/mvno information in the United States and maybe Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by ConsumerCell View Post
    Hello All,

Yes, this account is run by a group representing Consumer Cellular. Our goal is the answer questions people have on forums such as these so they can make more informed decisions about what cellular service and phone they want. Of course, Consumer Cellular is not right for everyone's needs, but we at least want to provide potential customers with the information they need to decide if the service is right for them.

We apologize if you feel our message was spam to "OldPro" and respect everyone's opinion and we certainly appreciate the discourse. If you would like to discuss negatives about the company, we would be happy to field questions as providing the very best customer service is at the core of what we do with Consumer Cellular.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    How does that work to a seniors advantage?

I reall never realized that senior friendly meant more expensive...
    I think this situation is more analogous to people looking for service if they are a tourist somewhere or is an immigrant who does not speak the local language. If you are familiar with the local ways, you will get the most choices. If you are not, your choices are limited and most likely pay more than average. My guess is that for most people: if you are aware of all the options out there, you would not select Consumer Cellular.

Phones
    LG-VX8300
    Moto W376
    LG-225
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I reall never realized that senior friendly meant more expensive but I learn something new everyday on HoFo since its the number one source of cell phone/plan/carrier/mvno information in the United States and maybe Canada.
    Unless you have a relative like I have, that had a stroke and vision problems, you will not appreciate a handset like the Doro PhoneEasy 345 or Doro PhoneEasy 410. My relative had to give up Verizon because Verizon does not have a handset with large buttons and a screen that can be used by the visually handicapped. Sometimes you will have to pay more to get what you need.

Edit: Consumer Cellular did not indicate in any of their literature if either Doro models are available unlocked or what their policy is on unlocking the Doro models. It would be helpful if one was traveling out of the country if they could have their Doro unlocked[/I]
    Last edited by willmatt; 02-06-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    That's my point nothing about the service itself is senior friendly - its the phones they sell.

A couple of those Doro phones are on ebay unlocked so I imagine they can all be unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
    Unless you have a relative like I have, that had a stroke and vision problems, you will not appreciate a handset like the Doro PhoneEasy 345 or Doro PhoneEasy 410. My relative had to give up Verizon because Verizon does not have a handset with large buttons and a screen that can be used by the visually handicapped. Sometimes you will have to pay more to get what you need.

Edit: Consumer Cellular did not indicate in any of their literature if either Doro models are available unlocked or what their policy is on unlocking the Doro models. It would be helpful if one was traveling out of the country if they could have their Doro unlocked[/I]

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I thought the Consumer Cellular website said the Easyphones were quad band GSM and not locked. For big buttons you could also consider the classic Nokia 6010, discontinued for years but lots are still out there they go for around $10.00.

Feedback Score
    Hi Willmatt. The Doro phones come locked and we cannot guarantee what functionality the phones will have on another network as Consumer Cellular is the exclusive provider of the Doro PhoneEasy phones. At this time, Consumer Cellular does not offer international calling plans, only nationwide coverage. However, Consumer Cellular can provide you the unlock code so the phone can be used on different networks internationally. For a Consumer Cellular coverage map, please visit http://www.consumercellular.com/map. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ConsumerCell; 02-08-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Phones
    LG-VX8300
    Moto W376
    LG-225
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hi ConsumerCell Representative. I appreciate your response regarding locked Doro phones. I thought of some additional questions after my initial post. I wonder if the footprint of ConsumerCell service is the same as your carrier's postpaid service. Most other MVNO are on the carriers prepaid network which is severely limited in the Western United States and Northern New England.

The reason that I am considering ConsumerCell service is that my wife suffered a stroke several months ago and is visually impaired. Although I am satisfied with my current wireless service provider, my wife cannot visualize the small lettering on the handset she was using before the stroke. Unfortunately our carrier does not offer a handset directed towards meeting the needs of handicapped customers and could not provide a solution. It appears that the Doro 410 would the best choice for my wife's situation on the other hand I would prefer a clam shell handset with camera and microSD card slot.

I checked out the ConsumerCell website several months ago and found one or two clam shell type handsets on the website that offered cameras and a microSD memory slot. When I checked out the website this week the only handset currently available with a memory slot is the Samsung A697. In the case of the other handsets shown the ConsumerCell web site with cameras, can the user transfer photos directly to a computer via a USB cable, or they required to transfer photos via email? Does ConsumerCell have any plans to offer a clam shell type handset with microSD slot and camera in the near future?

Feedback Score
    Willmatt, great questions thanks. Consumer Cellular utilizes the AT&T postpaid network. Therefore, Consumer Cellular’s footprint is the exact same as AT&Ts postpaid service. You can check out our coverage at www.ConsumerCellular.com/maps. A great way to check coverage is to try it yourself. We offer a 30-day or 30-minute money-back guarantee, meaning that if you cancel within 30 days or 30 minutes (whichever occurs first) you will receive a 100% refund. Consumer Cellular will even pay for you to ship your phones back.

Also, we are very sorry to hear that your wife had a stroke. The Doro 410 sounds like a very good option for her. We expect to offer a new flip phone in April which does have a camera and micro SD slot, but are not able to provide any details on that phone yet. When more details become available we will post them here and on our web site. If you have any more questions, please give us a call at 1-888-345-5509 or email us at support@consumercellular.com. Thanks again!
    Last edited by ConsumerCell; 02-11-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    I haven’t tried Consumer Cellular yet but I’ve already assessed their offers when I was also deciding a phone for my mom. But I got my mom the Just5 cell phone. She is still using it for more than eight months now. She’s very happy with it because of the simple functionalities and great features of the phone. When it comes to affordability, this one has more attractive offers than Consumer Cellular. With Just5, my mom only spends $3.33 a month for the cheapest minute plan. She rarely uses her phone so she can make the most of her 100 minutes call. This provider also offers rollover minutes. Try to check it out!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast