Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will AT&T Mobility provide offical unlock code for iPhone 4 (Verizon has iphone 4)

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score

Will AT&T Mobility provide offical unlock code for iPhone 4 (Verizon has iphone 4)

I know AT&T's official policy is to provide unlock codes for their devices 10 months after their "exclusivity ends"

Since the iPhone had been exclusive to ATT for 3.5 years, they never needed to provide an unlock code.

Now that Verizon gets the iPhone 4 on Feb 10th 2011, that's when the exclusivity period ends.

Fast forward to Dec 10th 2011; that will be 10 months.

So will ATT provide me with the official unlock code for the iphone 4 at that time? This is very important to me since if I can pontifically unlock the phone, it has a much higher resale value (especially to international customers) who don't have to worry about jailbreaking/software unlocking.

Someone asked this question over at the ATT official website and no one really answered the question. I called the ATT CS and they were completely clueless (even at their 10 month policy).

Phones
    BB 9810 is primary
    BB 9810
    Verizon Motorola Km1
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Unlocking the iPhone isn't an AT&T issue, it is an Apple issue. Apple's policy AFAIK, is no unlock. There are ways to jailbreak from what I understand.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DubDub View Post
    Unlocking the iPhone isn't an AT&T issue, it is an Apple issue. Apple's policy AFAIK, is no unlock. There are ways to jailbreak from what I understand.
    Nope, 100% at the discretion of the carrier. Apple has no interest in locking their phones, beyond their contractual obligations to any carrier. This is also why they will not do the unlocks, as they are contractually prevented from doing so by the carriers. In many countries, carriers will unlock iPhones. Some will do it while still under contract for a fee, some will do it only once the contract is fulfilled and some do it for free. If AT&T wanted to do unlocked, they would only need to make arrangements with Apple to have computers made available that are authorized by Apple to do the unlocks.

My carrier (Rogers) will unlock iPhones for $50, once they are off contract. Apple won't do the unlock, because their contract with Rogers prevents it, but Rogers can (and will) if you meet their requirements. They have to go through a Apple authorized computer, but that is the limit of Apple's interest or involvement.

To the OP, I guess AT&T might use the excuse that while Verizon is selling an iPhone, it is not a compatible model with AT&T, and so AT&T still has exclusivity of the HSPA iPhone (if only exclusive because Apple hasn't yet partnered with T-Mobile).
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Phone
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    To the OP, I guess AT&T might use the excuse that while Verizon is selling an iPhone, it is not a compatible model with AT&T, and so AT&T still has exclusivity of the HSPA iPhone (if only exclusive because Apple hasn't yet partnered with T-Mobile).
    I know. You are probably right. AT&T Mobility will try to pull that crap with Verizon's phone being a CDMA vs. their's is still the "exclusive GSM" iphone 4. To me and more sane people. iPhone 4 is iPhone 4. Same hardware, same UI. I am sure AT&T will face civil lawsuits if they refuse to unlock the iPhone 4 after 10 months or they will be hearing about it from the US Govt.

AT&T has a written policy after the 10 month unlocking policy after exclusivity ends. They need to stick with this or else they would be going against their terms.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It seems that many iPhone users feel that the are entitled to upgrade whenever a new iPhone model is released. None of them are ever out of contract.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    It seems that many iPhone users feel that the are entitled to upgrade whenever a new iPhone model is released. None of them are ever out of contract.
    Well that's true. Many iphone users feel entitled to upgrades when they aren't eligible.

But that's not the topic of my post. My post concerns ATT's policy for unlocking phones. They seem to be getting stricter and stricter. When I brought my Bold 9000, I got it immediately unlocked in Jan 2009. But I see people get the New BB Torch 9800 and ATT's says they won't unlock it till their exclusivity ends.

Than they say it's their policy to have consumers wait 10 months until the exclusivity ends. Well considering the Torch is probably only going to be on ATT, they will never unlock the phone.

So they used the same reasoning with the previous iPhones saying it's an exclusive. Fine. Lets play by their terms.

But not Verizon has the same iPhone 4, it no longer becomes an exclusive. That means ATT should give people the unlock code within 10 months of it ending on Feb 10th 2011.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    What does that have to do with getting it unlock? Surely your current contracts only apply to the current phone you have? When you renew your contract and get a new handset, wouldn't that terminate the contract on your old phone? At the very least, when your original contract expires, the handset covered by it would no longer be considered contractually limited.

As I said, with my carrier, they will unlock it when it is off contract. This includes if one renews a contract for a new handset, the old handset contract is considered to be off contract.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Why does this even matter? iOS is so easy to jailbreak (plus there are so many other benefits to jailbreaking), why would you even bother with going through the carrier even if you could?

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    Why does this even matter? iOS is so easy to jailbreak (plus there are so many other benefits to jailbreaking), why would you even bother with going through the carrier even if you could?
    Because jailbreaking is not the same as unlocking. Because if you have an iPhone 4 with the last couple of basebands, there is no exploit unlock available. Because a factory unlocked (by factory unlocked, I mean unlocked using Apple's IMEI registry) iPhone can be updated whenever you like without having to worry if you will lose your unlock. Because a factory unlocked iPhone will have a much better resale value than an exploit unlocked iPhone.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is no articulated policy by AT&T Mobility on unlocking iPhones.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    There is no articulated policy by AT&T Mobility on unlocking iPhones.
    Good, then that means they don't have an articulated policy against unlocking iPhones. If that is the case, then consumers should rely on AT&T's existing policy for unlocking phones. If their policy says 10 months after exclusivity ends or when off contract, then that should be taken to apply to iPhones as well. Unless they have an articulated policy on unlocking for iPhones.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Good, then that means they don't have an articulated policy against unlocking iPhones. If that is the case, then consumers should rely on AT&T's existing policy for unlocking phones. If their policy says 10 months after exclusivity ends or when off contract, then that should be taken to apply to iPhones as well. Unless they have an articulated policy on unlocking for iPhones.
    Provide a link to the unlocking of any AT&T phone for which they have exclusivity. That may be an urban legend or hearsay.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    But I see people get the New BB Torch 9800 and ATT's says they won't unlock it till their exclusivity ends.

Than they say it's their policy to have consumers wait 10 months until the exclusivity ends. Well considering the Torch is probably only going to be on ATT, they will never unlock the phone.
    Actually, the exclusivity policy is true.
    I called CS twice about getting the Torch 9800 unlocked and was told that they won't do it until the exclusivity ends.
    The second call yielded some interesting tid bits, the rep without placing me on hold read a little blurb on their system that unlock codes can't be released for devices that are exclusive to AT&T so what he did is put in a case for me. The probable reason why he wanted me to confirm it again several times was because he was a puzzled when he saw the little note when he tried to get the code for me.

I don't know about the deal with the iPhone, but AT&T wouldn't provide me with the unlock code for the Torch 9800 citing exclusivity. I was told maybe in the later part of the year they will release the code, but I'm not going to wait that long.

Never had a problem getting the unlock codes for the 9000 and 9700 on the same day I got them.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Where is the policy in writing or this an ad hoc policy?

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Where is the policy in writing or this an ad hoc policy?
    What do you want? A scanned copy of the policy or maybe a hacked link to the policy?
    Either way, it's going to be illegal to obtain such information since that usually involves unauthorized entry/access into the premises or systems. Those that asked for the unlock codes for our "exclusive" devices did we can reasonably do to obtain the unlock code from AT&T, however if you want the proof of this then that becomes your problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast