View Poll Results: So, what do you think?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it! Can't live without it!

3 100.00%
  • Hate it. No use for it at all.

0 0%
  • Can't figure it out. Too complex.

0 0%
  • Why did I bother to read this, anyway?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Download jar or jad files through opera mini 5.1

Feedback Score

Download jar or jad files through opera mini 5.1

Thought it couldn't be done without mods, didn't you?
    Well, I came up with a way, it works on my Virgin Mobile LG Rumor Touch (the vm510 if you prefer,) using the Opera Mini 5.1 downloaded straight from Opera Software itself.
    Some redirecting download links won't work, and I've found several picky ones which don't look like redirects but still refuse to download a proper file, but overall I've had this retrieve many jar and jad files now. On my phone handset directly.
    I put the link to my tool, and instructions, here on hubpages.

I started this thread here for feedback, suggestions, bug reports, etc.
    I'll respond to questions as I can.
    Feedback, please! I know it's seeing use, since I put counters on it...

EDIT:
    I've added instructions and a link to this thread on the tool itself.
    Don't like hubpages? Go straight to the FileConfusicator!
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 01-15-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm gonna guess at the functionality of the program (since I cannot see the actual inner workings from here) and guess you're doing something relatively awesome with http headers? Curl was my friend from a little while ago, and 000webhost let's ya use it too...I hope.

Anyway, ranting over. Onto a cruel critique of what you have going for you so far:
    • A small, snappy interface. Granted, it could be smaller (for more, take a look at the somewhat hard-to-find-documentation META VIEWPORT tag/attribute). While it probably looks great on a computer, web browsers on your phone will probably always scale it too big until then.
    • Pretty much as simple as you can make it... for now. Your instructions are a bit loquacious and may work better in a numbered list.
    • Lose the http:// start. Enter it within the textbox (for a user typing it in the URL) so if it's pasted over, you only have one http:// left over.
    • Or make sure the string has no http://http:// at the front. that's probably easier.
    • Something specific to GetJar pages. There's gotta be a formula for how to download an app; you should try figuring out what it is by looking at the source of some of the GJ pages/links.
    • A list of last-loaded apps. Not a necessity, but will increase cool factor immensely.

My thumbs hurt now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    I'm gonna guess at the functionality of the program (since I cannot see the actual inner workings from here) and guess you're doing something relatively awesome with http headers? Curl was my friend from a little while ago, and 000webhost let's ya use it too...I hope.

Anyway, ranting over. Onto a cruel critique of what you have going for you so far:
    • A small, snappy interface. Granted, it could be smaller (for more, take a look at the somewhat hard-to-find-documentation META VIEWPORT tag/attribute). While it probably looks great on a computer, web browsers on your phone will probably always scale it too big until then.
    • Pretty much as simple as you can make it... for now. Your instructions are a bit loquacious and may work better in a numbered list.
    • Lose the http:// start. Enter it within the textbox (for a user typing it in the URL) so if it's pasted over, you only have one http:// left over.
    • Or make sure the string has no http://http:// at the front. that's probably easier.
    • Something specific to GetJar pages. There's gotta be a formula for how to download an app; you should try figuring out what it is by looking at the source of some of the GJ pages/links.
    • A list of last-loaded apps. Not a necessity, but will increase cool factor immensely.

My thumbs hurt now.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I'll try for a point-by-point response.
    • curl... Pretty fancy stuff there. I'm just using fopen. Curl could chase down those nasty redirect and timer activated links my tool won't right now. Might upgrade that, if I keep the tool public and don't just show everyone the source code so I don't have to upgrade to paid hosting.
    • appearance: built just for my Rumor Touch and its 240x400 screen. Looks decent on it... I figured anyone else who needed to use the tool wouldn't care much what it looked like
      but I'll definitely lookup that META... tag.
    • I've been called wordy and hard-to-read before, too. Good reminder... Worth repair.
    • the http:// is left out of the box because the URLs copied from opera mini don't have it. I put it visually there but out of the box as a reminder not to type it.
      The in-program check is an excellent idea. The whole app lacks decent error trapping as yet. That's why some downloads come through as text html errors or 0-byte files.
    • ah, getjar. And any other site which only offers the .jad files publicly. Yeah, I know how to extract the .jar URL from the .jad, not too involved, but I was going to do that in a J2ME app on the handset itself. For the moment, I feel triumphant just getting the forbidden java filetypes to download! With proper incentive, I'm sure I could be convinced to use curl, and also to handle fetching .jar files based on .jad contents.
    • the last-fetched list. Ah yes. Was going to have that soon, but planned to hide it, and use it for my own benefit. Interesting thought, making it public!

Appreciate the analysis!

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    On the last one... orlynao. You should probably keep everything but display the last three for the hey of it.

If you ever happen to delve into app development, I'd also be happy to give you some APIs for working with the Notepad thing too... e.g. sending the username, password, note number, etc and getting its contents in reply, for example. Just because it's doable.

Happy Java'ing?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Will this work on the Loft? I have managed to install Opera Mini 5.1, if this would allow me to install other apps, that would be awesome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madaone1 View Post
    Will this work on the Loft? I have managed to install Opera Mini 5.1, if this would allow me to install other apps, that would be awesome.
    I don't know... I only have a rumor touch to test with.
    You could try it out and see if Opera will download files to your device. If so, you should be able to install new apps with the same process you used to get the browser installed.
    This tool is a generic workaround for the network block on java filetypes, so if you can download other filetypes, it may well work.
    If you try it, please post your results!
    Good luck!
    Edit:
    by the way, did opera just install from their site or did you get it onto the device some other way?
    If it installed over-the-air, you may have to google around and see if non-VM lofts have a way to install apps from the filesystem instead of the browser. Does that have an SD card? There may be a trick, like Bruce C figured out for the rumor touch, to install from card if yours has a slot for one. There's a thread on that here (it's huge now) if you wanna see. Called 'Installing non-VM apps on Rumor Touch' or something like that.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 01-20-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    Ok, as an improvement for ease-of-use, the site how-to is now presented as an ordered list.
    Probably still excessively verbose, but easier to read.
    Also, http:// is ignored instead of duplicated if pasted into the URL box.
    (Thanks to the feedback from primetechv2!)
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 02-09-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: new correction

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I attempted to use this on the Loft.

I was able to use the website, change tabs to the store, copy the link and then enter the link in fileconfiscator.

I just don't know what to do next on the Loft. Opera gives me a choice as to where I can save the file - pictures, music, etc. Unfortunately, there is no Apps folder. In addition, I am not sure how, on the loft, I would be able to change the file extension.

Does anyone know anything more about the Loft?

Feedback Score
    I've looked into it here on hofo..
    A couple people have gotten into it with bitpim through usb. You'd need a cable, at least unlike most VM phones there are factory drivers available from kyocera.
    If you get/have a cable, I suggest:
    • save in whatever folder first,
    • open your phone with bitpim,
    • look for the folder you downloaded into,
    • you can rename with bitpim.
    • next you have to find the java files.
    • look for a folder called AMS maybe, not sure which one,
    • dig around looking for files with the .jar extension
      (my oldest java phone, a sprint samsung 660vi, the java stuff was buried somewhere under /nvm)
    • note the folder structure around the .jar you found, and duplicate it with a new folder containing the new file you downloaded
    • the level above that should have some kind of map file with names and data for the installed apps. My 660vi, that file had to be deleted and phone rebooted to make the phone rebuild the map. Others need edited instead.

Off the top of my head.
    Or send me an activated Loft with a data cable and I'll hack it for you. I can't afford another phone and data plan myself, though!
    Good luck!

Feedback Score
    I have added a box to select the file extension desired to append to the download.
    Also an error-check to (hopefully) catch bad links instead of pushing .html errors as downloads.
    If you catch a bug, let me know...
    Helpful info would include the target URL and PHP error(s) given at the site.
    If it says "bad link" that's not a bug.
    I advise trying to chase down those links in Opera Mini 4.2 mod, test 15 version 7.
    That mod doesn't go to Netfront unless you tell it to, so you can copy/paste the final download link into the Fileconfusicator for tough links.
    It also can open files from your SD card, like the .jad files you obtain from getjar, so you can copy/paste the Midlet-Jar-URL (minus the http://) from the .jad to the Fileconfusicator without being reduced to pencil and paper.
    I'll post a link to get that OM mod next.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 02-09-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Oops

Feedback Score
    A guy active on hubpages uploaded the OM 4.20 mod test15v7, and a few other apps, in a .zip here.
    wapshare.us/download.php?f=316130

thanks, Wllie in SF.
    If you scroll down the comments on my hubpages page about the Fileconfusicator (link high on this thread) you can go to DanaTheTeacher's hub and find more cool Wllie in SF downloads. Like an OM 5.1 mod which supposedly downloads .jar files with some finagling. (my experience with this mod is that it downloads a 256-byte 'access denied' html file when trying to fetch a .jad or .jar, but it still works ok with the FileConfusicator... Better than unmodded OM 5.1, since you can copy/paste the final URL without being kicked to Netfront.)
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 01-31-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm still a bit amazed all this works on a Rumor Touch. Or possibly amazed it takes so much effort to work, depending on how you look at it. It's gotta be a hardware restriction, it's just gotta.

.w.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    I'm still a bit amazed all this works on a Rumor Touch. Or possibly amazed it takes so much effort to work, depending on how you look at it.
    Yeah, a lot of hassle just to get junk or incompatible apps most of the time. I just can't stand software lockouts, and so I really got focussed on this phone.
    It's gotta be a hardware restriction, it's just gotta.

.w.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a network gateway restriction. I put a fair amount of time into a J2ME app for my RT to download without an external tool, and I found it to work fine except for .jar and .jad extensions, with the added exception of large animated .gif which is compressed by VM's gateway to 170x170 px and a single frame. the .jar and .jad files are replaced by a short html page which says 'access denied'

I have stored on another site a .jar file with the MIME-type set wrong, and it gets downloaded cleanly by my old on-phone app with no filename change or external PHP, where other .jars and .jads still throw the 'access denied' page. So, possibly I could change the headers up a bit more in the Fileconfusicator to get it to push files past the gateway without renaming them.

One reason I say it's the gateway is the same 'access denied' html is downloaded by all the opera and bolt mods I've tested when trying to fetch .jar and .jad files, and all the other J2ME downloader apps I've tried as well. Those same mods work for other people in different metro areas than mine without the blocking error. Same PV7 handset version and all.

Correction: I have gotten a few mods to download .jars (but not .jads) on their own, but the mods even are picky about what/where they'll transfer and what still gets blocked in transit. Both browsers use their own proxy, and one renames the .jar to _jar during download.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 02-02-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No code to get it to assume a different filetype like an image maybe or something downloadable? Or a different mime type?

Sent from my Jax using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Tried setting Content-Type to image/binary.
    OM 4.2 mod tries to default save to pictures directory, so that part works, and downloads .jars thru the mod without an appended extension of just short of the right length. They won't unzip and I haven't hex edited one to check why. Text/binary downloads .jads ok but not .jars.
    More work ahead.
    edit:
    Content-Type set back to application/octet-stream for maximum functionality.
    Extension-select text entry box back up again. FileConfusicator can now be used to push image files to Netfront for viewing, including large animated .gif files, with the extension set to null (a blank box.)
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 02-09-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast