Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I use wifi calling on a non Tmobile branded phone?

Feedback Score

How do I use wifi calling on a non Tmobile branded phone?

I have a n97 mini (s60v5) that I'm trying to push to my wife. But wifi calling is a necessity on my place (no bars).

I know there is an app for the e73 and I there is a chance that it could work on the n97 as well. But how do I get this app? Could I use another wifi calling program?
    Listen with your eyes.

Feedback Score
    You can't, just android Tmobile branded phone are getting a "partial" version of wifi calling Powered by Kineto’s Smart Wi-Fi Application nothing available for symbian phone in the usa to date.

Feedback Score
    Thank you laafiera, but how about the e73? Does it have a different type of wifi calling because it is older?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    http://press.t-mobile.com/articles/t...ode-smartphone
    The E73 Mode does work on Wifi calling.

Wifi calling requires support in the OS (ROM) and the app itself.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; T-Mobile G2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1(KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote Originally Posted by laafiera
    You can't, just android Tmobile branded phone are getting a "partial" version of wifi calling Powered by Kineto’s Smart Wi-Fi Application nothing available for symbian phone in the usa to date.
    Some Blackberrys have it also but its called UMA
    Last edited by billm261; 01-16-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    I'm using Skype on a C6-I've told it to use wifi first and network 2. Except I think it has client built in. And don't the Iphones support it?
    CS

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Skype isn't wifi calling. Wifi calling routes your T-Mobile calls and sms/mms over the Internet via Wi-fi.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Skype isn't wifi calling. Wifi calling routes your T-Mobile calls and sms/mms over the Internet via Wi-fi.
    Skype is WiFi calling; as is using any SIP or XMPP client. What you are asking about is UMA calling.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Skype is WiFi calling; as is using any SIP or XMPP client. What you are asking about is UMA calling.
    I thought we're talking about T-Mobile's Wifi Calling here, not just VOIP. Maybe the OP can clarify this.

Phones
    Nexus One
    RIM BB Curve 8900
    TMo Wing
    Feedback Score
    I thought we're talking about T-Mobile's Wifi Calling here, not just VOIP. Maybe the OP can clarify this.
    Skype is technically wifi calling. So is UMA which Tmobile is using.

What the thread starter is referring to is TMobile's UMA. Even if he/she is able to port the app from the TMobile branded e73 to another non branded Nokia, it won't work as TMobile's UMA requires a certain chipset to work properly for the GSM/UMA handshake.

The Wifi calling on Android is barely what you call UMA, if you want to call it that at all. It's all software base and can't pass calls back and forth from GSM to Wifi properly. Hence why its call Wifi calling "lite".

That should be able to end this topic.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dorseto View Post
    Skype is technically wifi calling. So is UMA which Tmobile is using.

What the thread starter is referring to is TMobile's UMA. Even if he/she is able to port the app from the TMobile branded e73 to another non branded Nokia, it won't work as TMobile's UMA requires a certain chipset to work properly for the GSM/UMA handshake.
    I know that, but T-Mobile brands their UMA (or whatever you want to call it) as "Wi-Fi Calling".
    http://www.google.com/search?q=wifi+calling
    I don't think many people refer to Skype as Wifi calling. Anyways, we're just arguing technicalities and it don't matter.

Phones
    Nexus One
    RIM BB Curve 8900
    TMo Wing
    Feedback Score
    I know that, but T-Mobile brands their UMA (or whatever you want to call it) as "Wi-Fi Calling".
    http://www.google.com/search?q=wifi+calling
    I don't think many people refer to Skype as Wifi calling. Anyways, we're just arguing technicalities and it don't matter.
    I never said TMobile wasn't Wifi calling. Actually, I said it was. Wifi calling is a broad term that defined as any end to phone number calling over wifi, including skype. Add in an extra word "Skype" to your google search link and you'll hit up some links to "wifi calling" via Skype too for iphone/ipads.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    TMobile's UMA requires a certain chipset to work properly for the GSM/UMA handshake.

The Wifi calling on Android is barely what you call UMA, if you want to call it that at all. It's all software base and can't pass calls back and forth from GSM to Wifi properly. Hence why its call Wifi calling "lite".
    The UMA calling on my BB9700 seems to have hand off problems also. The second I'm out of the Wi-Fi zone I drop the call even though there is a signal. No big deal tho, I know it's going to happen.

Phones
    Nexus One
    RIM BB Curve 8900
    TMo Wing
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    The UMA calling on my BB9700 seems to have hand off problems also. The second I'm out of the Wi-Fi zone I drop the call even though there is a signal. No big deal tho, I know it's going to happen.
    OK but what does it have to do with what I stated? Your BB has a proper chipset for UMA. Android phones do not.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    OK but what does it have to do with what I stated? Your BB has a proper chipset for UMA. Android phones do not.
    Because it seems to work no different than the Wi-Fi calling on my G2 in so far as the handshake. But, maybe it's just due to my location or signal strength?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast