Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metropcs Air Internet Cards?

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Metropcs Air Internet Cards?

I was wondering if anyone had any info on this, I searched the forums and couldn't find any on it. Is that decent speed for an air card?
    http://www.robostars.com/metropcs.htm

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Those speeds are just 1x RTT, same thing that the metro phones get. You can accomplish the exact same thing those cards do just by tethering your phone to your computer. Moral of the story- Not worth it.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Thank you, because I almost got sucked in!

Feedback Score
    wont they be 4g soon?

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Metro said months ago in press releases that they want to offer 4G air cards eventually as part of their service like the other providers do but at the moment they don't and probably won't for awhile. Once they do make the jump the product in the first post wouldn't have access to it anyway.

Feedback Score
    ok thanks. I just read the info from that link. It sounds to me like you buy that card and get internet free. How do they use your cell service to give you free internet service? This almost sounds illegal like 2 phones with 1 number on 1 account. If this was legal why doesnt metro sell them on their site?

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Metro doesn't sell them because no one will pay extra for internet that slow when you can get the exact same connection with your phone and a USB cable. Of course the people trying to sell you $130 worth of junk are going to make things sound great, they want your money. You don't get internet for free, you just use the Metro signal you are already paying for in a different way but ultimately with the same result. There is nothing illegal about it, it's just a profoundly stupid way of doing something you could do on your own anyway.

Feedback Score
    ok thanks, so will there be new ones made to work the same way but work with the 4g service once it everywhere?

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snackers View Post
    ok thanks, so will there be new ones made to work the same way but work with the 4g service once it everywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by digi7al ph0enix View Post
    Metro said months ago in press releases that they want to offer 4G air cards eventually as part of their service like the other providers do but at the moment they don't and probably won't for awhile. Once they do make the jump the product in the first post wouldn't have access to it anyway.
    Yes there will

Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    ok thanks. I just read the info from that link. It sounds to me like you buy that card and get internet free. How do they use your cell service to give you free internet service? This almost sounds illegal like 2 phones with 1 number on 1 account. If this was legal why doesnt metro sell them on their site?
    Actually i think and this is my opinion the only way there going to do this is to clone your information to the dongle and have the network read it as if it were your phone and if this is how there doing it then yes it is illegal.

you made a good choice in asking here because i also give those a

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baysiderider View Post
    Actually i think and this is my opinion the only way there going to do this is to clone your information to the dongle and have the network read it as if it were your phone and if this is how there doing it then yes it is illegal.

you made a good choice in asking here because i also give those a
    Thats what I thought. I figured if they were able to put or use you current cell service without charging you for another number/line it had to be illegal like cloning. I was a little surprised when the other poster came back saying it was legal!

Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    Thats what I thought. I figured if they were able to put or use you current cell service without charging you for another number/line it had to be illegal like cloning. I was a little surprised when the other poster came back saying it was legal!
    see what the problem here is those dongles are not sanctioned by Metropcs nor are they sold through a authorized dealer metro is working on internet air cards but these are not the ones.

What tells me there illegal even in that article where there being sold it uses words like modified which means they go in the dongle and change parts so it will work but in this case its not flashing a phone what it is is making the network read the dongle as your phones 1x media connection

this is why they need your phone number, pin, meid and dec numbers. <----- Cloning = Illegal LOL

Yeah i would not waste my time especially when metro will be working on a legit 4g air cards

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Technically cloning a phone is only illegal when you clone a number or device that isn't your own. There have been countless lawsuits tied up in the courts at all levels debating whether or not a user has legal right to modify something they own but at the moment it is legal to clone your own device. That said, it is also perfectly legal for a service provider to drop you from their coverage or remove access to their network from devices they believe have been modified. Anyway-

Using an overpriced "Aircard" on Metro= Stupid but legal.
    Using your current phone and tethering it yourself= Smart, simple, and legal.

Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digi7al ph0enix View Post
    Technically cloning a phone is only illegal when you clone a number or device that isn't your own. There have been countless lawsuits tied up in the courts at all levels debating whether or not a user has legal right to modify something they own but at the moment it is legal to clone your own device. That said, it is also perfectly legal for a service provider to drop you from their coverage or remove access to their network from devices they believe have been modified. Anyway-

Using an overpriced "Aircard" on Metro= Stupid but legal.
    Using your current phone and tethering it yourself= Smart, simple, and legal.

True very true you can clone your own personal phone but only your phone

But in this case they are not cloning phones for your personal use what they are doing is introducing a new piece of technology metro does not have or offer IE the dongle, And they are cloning information to it for the sole purpose of allowing one person to attach this dongle to there computer and use internet on the computer making the network believe its a phones data connection.

Here is a copy directly out of the MetroPcs Terms and Conditions under the link MetroWeb Terms of Use

it is the 4th paragraph down second half of that paragraph.

MetroWEB Service cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/smartphone to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose. Accordingly, we reserve the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify, suspend and/or terminate MetroWEB Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the MetroWEB Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to our wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows.

heres the link

http://www.metropcs.com/products/met...ms_of_use.aspx

now in itself it seems ok but heres the kicker by them doing what they are doing they are not only putting the subscriber at risk of having his account closed there also putting them selfs at risk but violating the MetroPcs terms of use guidelines. which does make what they are doing Illegal and puts us at risk of fraud because of the manner in which we tethered our data connection IE through this AIR CARD.

yes cloning is legal for your own personal phone to be cloned to another phone for your own personal use but these are not phones.

like i said 4g dongles are on there way so just give it alittle time and we will be all good

ACTUALLY I JUST REALIZED THIS IS ALL REDUNDANT BECAUSE OF METROPCS POLICY'S NO MATTER HOW WE TETHER IT'S IN VIOLATION OF THERE TERMS OF SERVICE

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Against ToS doesn't make it illegal, that's just Metro's right to deny service to anyone at any time for any reason. Metro rules =/= law.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast