Thread: What defines physical damage?

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score

What defines physical damage?

I have an HTC Touch Pro 2, and literally out of the blue, the windows/back button has come loose and it will not go back to its normal state.

I'm wondering if you guys think this will still be covered under warranty?

Also, I've found that the USB port is being extremely picky with the type of USB cable. It's stopped working with my car charger, and one of my wall chargers. Would this be covered?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    Not likely to be covered.

Enough scratches along the edges of your device to show this is likely due to mechanical stress and not a latent product defect.

You may be able to order some parts to fix it yourself or find a local shop that can replace the keys or housing (depending on what has snapped off)

For example:
    http://cnn.cn/shop/touch-pro2-outer-...ck-p-7274.html

Double check which variation of the Touch Pro 2 Telus actually sold before ordering parts. Worldwide there were multiple phones marketed as a Touch Pro 2 and they are not all exactly the same. I believe the Telus version is part number T7379. Some parts may work on any version and others will not fit the CDMA version (especially true for a full housing). If the broken plastic is on the button only it should be a cheap repair. If there is plastic on the housing of the phone that is broken off then it will be more expensive to fix. Make sure you check on Kijiji, ebay, craigslist, etc for someone selling a used Telus TP2 that may be cheaper than fixing yours.

Unfortunately HTC phones are not known for their durability so you need to be gentle or what you may consider to be normal wear and tear will end up destroying your phone.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Awesome... thanks for all the info. I've been checking Kijiji, and the phones seem to be hovering around the $100 mark, which to me seems actually pretty cheap. Your thoughts?

True there are a lot of dings and scratches on my phone, however, I can't see this button issue being related to impact type of incident. Holding the button in place is what seems to almost be an elastic type piece, and this elastic piece has been stretched out, which then makes the button not held down tight enough. My warranty expires in about 8 days, so I guess I'll take it to Telus just to see if it would be covered, if not i'll try getting a cheap phone, or else try to order the parts (I do love trying to fix things )
    Quote Originally Posted by Que_Ball View Post
    Not likely to be covered.

Enough scratches along the edges of your device to show this is likely due to mechanical stress and not a latent product defect.

You may be able to order some parts to fix it yourself or find a local shop that can replace the keys or housing (depending on what has snapped off)

For example:
    http://cnn.cn/shop/touch-pro2-outer-...ck-p-7274.html

Double check which variation of the Touch Pro 2 Telus actually sold before ordering parts. Worldwide there were multiple phones marketed as a Touch Pro 2 and they are not all exactly the same. I believe the Telus version is part number T7379. Some parts may work on any version and others will not fit the CDMA version (especially true for a full housing). If the broken plastic is on the button only it should be a cheap repair. If there is plastic on the housing of the phone that is broken off then it will be more expensive to fix. Make sure you check on Kijiji, ebay, craigslist, etc for someone selling a used Telus TP2 that may be cheaper than fixing yours.

Unfortunately HTC phones are not known for their durability so you need to be gentle or what you may consider to be normal wear and tear will end up destroying your phone.

Carriers
    Telusmobility
    Feedback Score
    Probably got caught on a thread in a pocket or jacket. The thread could have gone underneath the button, and when you took it out it pulled on it. Might not have pulled it off the first time, but... loosened it. Then after any jarring or use could have just said: "meh, I'm just gonna come off now."

But ya, it would be considered physical damage.

It's just a button, and buttons to repair are usually a component (like $45) as long as the phone isn't water damaged. So, it might be worth it to just send it away, or bring it into the nearest repair center if you know of one. I know of one in Calgary that we used to use in such situations. We would basically tell the customer where to take it, or we can do it for a delivery fee if they didn't have time. That sort of thing. You could check into it.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like a warranty repair to me.
    If your phone dealer wants your future business, it sounds like a repair he or she should help process under warranty.
    Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BC_Mike View Post
    Sounds like a warranty repair to me.
    If your phone dealer wants your future business, it sounds like a repair he or she should help process under warranty.
    Good luck!
    Dealers just send the phone off. It is HTC's repair centre that will make a decision on whether it is physical damage or not.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom3352 View Post
    Dealers just send the phone off. It is HTC's repair centre that will make a decision on whether it is physical damage or not.
    Figured what the heck, might as well try and send it in, it won't cost me anything if they refuse (I hope). Anyways, they sent it off yesterday and gave me a loaner phone (Samsung Omni). Wait and see I guess.

Thanks all for your input.

Phone
    LG Dare
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dvs_rydin View Post
    Figured what the heck, might as well try and send it in, it won't cost me anything if they refuse (I hope). Anyways, they sent it off yesterday and gave me a loaner phone (Samsung Omni). Wait and see I guess.

Thanks all for your input.
    Actually they'll charge $25 if they decide it's not under warranty.

Carriers
    Telusmobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracylynne19 View Post
    Actually they'll charge $25 if they decide it's not under warranty.
    This is correct, it is a decline fee for repairs on out-of-warranty products. However, if the repair center knows that the phone does have issues (known issue) with the button, and the phone itself _is_ under warranty, it is up to their own discretion to fix it for free or not as has been stated before Good luck man!

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardall View Post
    This is correct, it is a decline fee for repairs on out-of-warranty products. However, if the repair center knows that the phone does have issues (known issue) with the button, and the phone itself _is_ under warranty, it is up to their own discretion to fix it for free or not as has been stated before Good luck man!
    Well, the Telus store will be getting a mouthful if it gets refused and they decide to charge me. You'd think they'd give me a heads up if there was a refusal fee.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dvs_rydin View Post
    Well, the Telus store will be getting a mouthful if it gets refused and they decide to charge me. You'd think they'd give me a heads up if there was a refusal fee.
    Did they not have you sign some paperwork before sending the phone away? What did it say?

My dealer was always very up front about the fees if warranty was refused and you declined to pay for a repair. They made me sign paperwork with the fee listed. You have to remember that the Dealer is also paying their staff to process the paperwork, box it up and pay the courier fees to send it away and then the repair depot has to pay their staff and courier fees to send it back again. I don't know what kind of deal they may have for shipping costs but it usually costs me more than the cost of the fee to ship a box by ground let alone air there and back so it's not an unreasonable amount.

Carriers
    Telusmobility
    Feedback Score
    True. I think Purolator is $23+GST just to ship one way, so $50 approximately for your repair. Most times a customer is willing to pay $25 for a repair if it's declined. But ya, they should tell you. If they didn't tell you there would be a decline, then you don't have to pay one.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Again, if your dealer values your present and future business, you will be looked after.
    From what you've said, you didn't drop, beat, or abuse your phone. As well, it's within the warranty period. Your very expensive piece of cheaply made and poorly constructed equipment should therefore be covered by the warranty.