Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Data

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Straight Talk Data

I am considering coming to Straight Talk from Boost to gain greater coverage area and have a few questions. I am on the road often so tethering is important to me. A Walmart salesmen said USB tethering should be no problem with the Nokia E71 but that he thought Straight Talk disabaled the wifi. Is that true? If so, would unlocking the phone liberate the wifi? He had no literature on Straight Talk's data policies. Will Straight Talk provide the unlock code? Does ST throttle the internet speed? What kind of speed should one expect in ATT 3g coverage? How much data do they permit on their unlimited plan? Does ST have any smart phones coming to the CDMA side?

Thank you.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk does not permit tethering of computers to mobile phones. The unlimited data refers to only data used by applications on the phone. You run the risk of forfeiting your balance if discovered. You most likely will not find drivers anyway. Unlocking the phone would have no effect on how the phone works on the network. It is simply a local issue between the phone and the SIM card. The carrier has no way to tell whether your phone is unlocked or not.
    Last edited by efparri; 01-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Straight Talk does not permit tethering of computers to mobile phones. The unlimited data refers to only data used by applications on the phone. You run the risk of forfeiting your balance if discovered. You most likely will not find drvers anyway. Unlocking the phone would have no effect on how the phone works on the network. It is simply a local issue between the phone and the SIM card. The carrier has no way to tell whether your phone is unlocked or not.
    Don't forget to mention America Movil really will kick the scummy abusers out before the wreck things for everyone. They are somewhat aggressive in that regard, so stop trying to cheat the system.

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Wifi is not disabled on the E71. You can use it as a wireless hotspot by simply downloading the JokiuSpot app and using it. I'm sure USB tethering would be no problem as well. However as stated above these are both against ST's Terms of Service and could result in the cancellation of your account.

Feedback Score
    It really goes back to interpretation of "unlimited data" ... if they offer a device that comes with a store that allows you to legally buy and install a piece of software that allows use as a hotspot, it's grey area. I understand from the point of Straight Talk it's black and white and is in the forbiddin column.

The question comes down to enforcement. There's Straight Talk, Net10, Simple Mobile, Boost, and Virgin. Virgin is the most viable competition selling Unlimited Everything on a comparable device (Android Samsung Intercept and Blackberry Curve, both of which also have the ability to become mobile hotspots)...

So the bottom line is it's not "allowed", but the question is what will Straight Talk do about it? There's enough competition that they'll realize if they take too aggressive of a position, they'll disenfranchise users who can easily switch to Virgin and get the same unlimited product and price. The big carriers all have their niches as to what differentiates them, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out among the prepaid carriers.

Phones
    iPhone 4S 16GB
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carriers
    StraightTalk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by getyup View Post
    It really goes back to interpretation of "unlimited data" ... if they offer a device that comes with a store that allows you to legally buy and install a piece of software that allows use as a hotspot, it's grey area. I understand from the point of Straight Talk it's black and white and is in the forbiddin column.

The question comes down to enforcement. There's Straight Talk, Net10, Simple Mobile, Boost, and Virgin. Virgin is the most viable competition selling Unlimited Everything on a comparable device (Android Samsung Intercept and Blackberry Curve, both of which also have the ability to become mobile hotspots)...

So the bottom line is it's not "allowed", but the question is what will Straight Talk do about it? There's enough competition that they'll realize if they take too aggressive of a position, they'll disenfranchise users who can easily switch to Virgin and get the same unlimited product and price. The big carriers all have their niches as to what differentiates them, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out among the prepaid carriers.
    Very well said! I agree completely!
    iPhone 4 running on StraightTalk Wireless 3G (AT&T MVNO)

Time Warner Cable (Home ISP)
    [/URL]

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The problem is there has never been any signs of thought or intellegence behind what the Trac companies do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304 View Post
    Don't forget to mention America Movil really will kick the scummy abusers out before the wreck things for everyone. They are somewhat aggressive in that regard, so stop trying to cheat the system.

I've not read of a single person getting kicked off ST for using too much data. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but if it has I'd like to read some first hand accounts. Do you know of any? Oh, and cheating the system is as American as apple pie. You see, it's the very system that's the problem . BTW, ST does allow tethering under their $30 plan.

Feedback Score
    7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync.

Feedback Score
    You can access the internet lets say with an iphone using the unlimited straight talk plan. I have not heard of people not being able to use the internet on their jailbroken iphones.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SherryMiller View Post
    I've not read of a single person getting kicked off ST for using too much data. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but if it has I'd like to read some first hand accounts. Do you know of any? Oh, and cheating the system is as American as apple pie. You see, it's the very system that's the problem . BTW, ST does allow tethering under their $30 plan.
    Just look around this forum. There was one angry guy who got his phone shut off twice for using too much data and the second time the refused to turn it back on. I think its around p.40 in the iphone thread

Feedback Score
    Any idea how much data you would use in 30 days? If it's less than 2gb then I would say that you're "safe" in getting a Nokia E71 and using it the way you want it. I don't think ST throttles the internet speed. The speed one can expect really depends on the coverage area you are in. On my phone the speed is anywhere from 100kbps - 3.5mbps depending on where i am and time of day. ST does not seem to provide customers with announcements of upcoming phones until the day they are released in the hope that you buy what's available now and upgrade to a newer phone in the future.

Unfortunately ST has no public information of what they consider "high data usage". There are been reports of ST terminating customer's accounts because of abusing the data service (5+ gbs!) - and the last thing you want to deal with is ST CSR that speak english as a second (maybe third) language.

I have tethered data to my laptop to simply respond back to emails, chat, and go to a few websites (I do this super rarely and usually consume around 20mb each session). I find that when tethering to a laptop, a speed connection around 2mbps is adequate enough.

just my two cents. Hope it's helpful.

Carrier
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Here in lies the true problem of providers selling "Unlimited Data" when in fact there is a cap, and if/when you approach said cap the company may do nothing, slow your speeds (throttling), stop your internet for the remainder of the plan for the month or they may close your account all together and keep any money you have in your account. It's a shame that these wireless service providers are allowed to get away with using that term when in fact it's false advertising.

As to your question on switching to ST and getting a Nokia E71: I have a LG Optimus V with Virgin Mobile service. The "hotspot" ability has been HIDDEN from the Android OS 2.2 but it is there. Just search the market for a hotspot widget, install it, and activate it. Simple as that. As per the terms and conditions for ST...aside from it being contradictory...if there's a Nokia app in the Ovi Store that lets you use your E71 as a hotspot and it works...then there's nothing stopping you. Just don't use P2P or try to download extremely large files. I watch 3 tv shows online via my Optimus a week and that alone consumed nearly 1.9 gigs. Not to mention the other apps i use to watch other videos or the tethering i do.

My advice, it's up to you. But if your service gets closed for good, your phones ESN & maybe SIM will get blacklisted from their services. So you'll have wasted all that money for nothing and you'll have no one but yourself to blame. That is of course, if it happens at all. FYI: No wireless provider sells truely "Unlimited Data" with no cap...with the exception of Boost. Maybe. but the speeds aren't fast.

Anyway, good luck.

Feedback Score
    Straight Talk is a pre-paid cellphone. What I do not understand is why persons get so upset with the way they use their own data. Being upset can damage oneself in a very harmful way. Straight Talk offers help either in their tiny information booklet, by internet, or the resource that no one likes, customer service. The data that uses the unlimited plan has unlimited data, and the $30 a month has 30mb of data, if you go over that, the company first will let you know, not cut it off without notice. Maybe the person was unable to be contacted. Sometimes we blame the company but it might be our fault and I do not want to offend no one, just give my point of view.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can definitely understand what you're saying. It *is* functionally unlimited when viewed through the prism of "reasonable usage on the devices we sell." Even the e71 isn't going to use 20gb a month when used IRresponsibly.

It's only abusers who use their devices in ways never intended who manage to push or exceed the "limits" that would literally never be reached by someone following the TOS. Tethering, for example, is specifically mentioned...and forbidden.

Consequently I'm torn on this one. I do agree that unlimited should be unlimited, if billed as such. BUT, if you can use as much as you want ON THEIR DEVICE, and never hit the "limit," isn't that actually unlimited?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast