Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Data

Feedback Score
    I'd like to read your opinions about Straight Talk $45 UL plan vs Simple Mobile $60 UL plan. I'm now on the $30 100 minute 5G TMobile plan. I love the data allowance, and the price of the plan, but the 100 min is a deal killer (tried Skype, Groove IP, Vonage to help with minutes, but I'm sick of feeling embarrassed when people ask me what's wrong with my phone, no consistent quality with calls). So I'm considering my options, even if a little higher in price. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I'm missing other companies or plans out there, please let me know about them too.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How much data do you need (not want - need) every month? If it's more than 2GB (and probably 100MB/day), Straight Talk isn't for you - they'll cancel your account. It's unlimited web browsing, not unlimited data.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to be able to watch a 30 min episode on netflix a couple of times per week, other than that just checking my email and browsing the web. I don't do any internet games or anything like that. Right now with my TMobile plan I use between 3 and 4 GB a month, but that includes skype, vonage and groove IP which I use to complement my 100 minutes, which I wouldn't use if I have unlimited calling. I'm clueless as to how much data these VOIP apps use.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by franquis View Post
    I'd like to be able to watch a 30 min episode on netflix a couple of times per week
    That's 9 or 10 times a month, so unless it's under 200mb/episode, you'd be over. And they still might hit you for the 100MB/day "limit" if an episode is lrger than that. Of course if you did most of that using wifi it wouldn't count. You can stream movies all day on wifi and they don't care.

but that includes skype, vonage and groove IP which I use to complement my 100 minutes, which I wouldn't use if I have unlimited calling. I'm clueless as to how much data these VOIP apps use.
    Voice is minimal usage. A voice channel is 48kbps, but you'd only use that much data if you're streaming a speech with no pauses. Most phone calls consist of a little speech and a lot of silence, and silence uses 0b/s.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Are you familiar with simple mobile and their allowances for data? They also advertise it as unlimited.

Carriers
    StraightTalk
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    NET10 has an unlimited plan for $50 I think. Check out that forum to get a feel for what its actual limit is.

Feedback Score
    Ok. I KNOW i'm in the wrong place to ask this, but i'm already a 'registered user', and this site is'nt letting me post threads/ questions elsewhere b/c i'm still in the account infancy stage. So i'm just gonna go fishing on this & see if i get any nibbles:
    I have an odd situation: I have a Samsung prepaid tracefone through Straight Talk/Verizon.
    The screen has gone completely white and i cannot see any one who's calling me or any texts. The screen isn't shattered- the phone doesn't look broken. But the images via the screen is completely shot. I bought an SD card so i could get all my pics, texts and contacts off of it. So i had the bright idea that i would just "find" some one in the world that has the exact phone so i could copy my info using their screen as a guide. No such luck. This phone is now pre-historic and not even grandparents own one.
    Can any one help point me in the right direction?

BTW: idk what i'm going to do re: getting a new phone. I thought i'd thumbed my nose @ all the contract holders & users out there by going with a prepaid only system. Hmph. That way I'd be in control of when i would/ could pay. With ST, you can let your minutes run out/lapse and just go online whenever and add more minutes. No strings. No hidden charges/ fees & politely standing in line for hours in a phone store waiting to politely ask a salesperson "Why, oh why do i have an extra $37 charge on my bill this month when i stayed within the cellular lines?" Politely.
    Now i'm not so sure that Prepaid is truly the way. *sigh* I need help. I want an iphone (now,now-don't we all), but too much of a cheap-skate to shell out the $80-$200/ month ON TOP of the cost of the phone- every month, or whatever 'they' charge nowadays.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vaunareed View Post
    Ok. I KNOW i'm in the wrong place to ask this, but i'm already a 'registered user', and this site is'nt letting me post threads/ questions elsewhere b/c i'm still in the account infancy stage. So i'm just gonna go fishing on this & see if i get any nibbles:
    I have an odd situation: I have a Samsung prepaid tracefone through Straight Talk/Verizon.
    The screen has gone completely white and i cannot see any one who's calling me or any texts. The screen isn't shattered- the phone doesn't look broken. But the images via the screen is completely shot. I bought an SD card so i could get all my pics, texts and contacts off of it. So i had the bright idea that i would just "find" some one in the world that has the exact phone so i could copy my info using their screen as a guide. No such luck. This phone is now pre-historic and not even grandparents own one.

BTW: idk what i'm going to do re: getting a new phone. I thought i'd thumbed my nose @ all the contract holders & users out there by going with a prepaid only system. Hmph. That way I'd be in control of when i would/ could pay. With ST, you can let your minutes run out/lapse and just go online whenever and add more minutes. No strings. No hidden charges/ fees & politely standing in line for hours in a phone store waiting to politely ask a salesperson "Why, oh why do i have an extra $37 charge on my bill this month when i stayed within the cellular lines?" Politely.
    Now i'm not so sure that Prepaid is truly the way. *sigh* I need help. I want an iphone (now,now-don't we all), but too much of a cheap-skate to shell out the $80-$200/ month ON TOP of the cost of the phone- every month, or whatever 'they' charge nowadays.
    What is your phones model number? How long have you had it? Is Verizon the only useable carrier in your area? Which 30 day plan are you on?

Carriers
    straight talk
    Feedback Score

Can't help you with your samsung but just a heads up: you can buy a used iphone off craigslist or ebay and put it on straight talk with the bring your own phone plan. You'll be paying $45 a month for "unlimited" not $80 to $200.

Sent from my motorola atrix using howard forums

Feedback Score

Wow-some one cares?

I'm surprised (& frankly grateful you survived) that some one actually read and responded to my pitiful and misplaced rant. THANK YOU!!!

Yes, to Tracfancier -I've got more phones than fingers: Samsung Model: SCH-R451C (ST), A little over a year, yes Verizon is the ONLY carrier (ugh), and i right now i've been using just the $30/ month because what's the use of the $45 unlimited if i can't even "see" what i'm doing?
    Thank you so much for responding!

Feedback Score
    DROIDBERG-Mobile Pro

And to you, dearest DROIDBERG- I squealed with so much delight when i read you're post (outloud), my daughter came running to my side to see if i was ok (to which i was still in delightful shock that i had to read what you wrote twice...just to be sure.) Apple. Iphone. Yummy.
    Sooooo, if you feel a strange twinge today, it's the cyber kisses i sent you (germ-free) because you planted a hopeful, cellular seed in one girl's mundane life. (Sorry, if you're a chick. Or married. Especially both.)

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised (& frankly grateful you survived) that some one actually read and responded to my pitiful and misplaced rant. THANK YOU!!!

Yes, to Tracfancier -I've got more phones than fingers: Samsung Model: SCH-R451C (ST), A little over a year, yes Verizon is the ONLY carrier (ugh), and i right now i've been using just the $30/ month because what's the use of the $45 unlimited if i can't even "see" what i'm doing?
    Thank you so much for responding!
    Unfortunately your phone is out of warranty. I am giving a link for CDMA/Verizon phones (the BYOD program is only with AT&T or T-Mobile). Tracfone does not like Verizon, so the selection is limited. Page Plus wireless is an option for better phone choices.

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...Phonelist=true

Feedback Score

Unlimited Data and Internet TOS for Straight Talk... clearly no interpretation

Quote Originally Posted by getyup View Post
    It really goes back to interpretation of "unlimited data" ... if they offer a device that comes with a store that allows you to legally buy and install a piece of software that allows use as a hotspot, it's grey area. I understand from the point of Straight Talk it's black and white and is in the forbiddin column.

The question comes down to enforcement. There's Straight Talk, Net10, Simple Mobile, Boost, and Virgin. Virgin is the most viable competition selling Unlimited Everything on a comparable device (Android Samsung Intercept and Blackberry Curve, both of which also have the ability to become mobile hotspots)...

So the bottom line is it's not "allowed", but the question is what will Straight Talk do about it? There's enough competition that they'll realize if they take too aggressive of a position, they'll disenfranchise users who can easily switch to Virgin and get the same unlimited product and price. The big carriers all have their niches as to what differentiates them, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out among the prepaid carriers.
    6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

The Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plan is for individual use only and not for resale. Specifically, Straight Talk Unlimited services are provided solely for live dialogue between, and initiated by, two individuals for personal use and as otherwise described in this policy. Unlimited voice services may not be used for any other purposes, including, but not limited to, conference calling, monitoring services, data transmissions, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, interconnection to other networks, telemarketing, autodialed calls, other commercial uses, or other connections that do not consist of uninterrupted live dialogue between two individuals. Straight Talk reserves the right to cancel or deactivate service, and/or reduce data throughput, without notice, in order to protect the Carrier’s network from harm due to any cause including, without limitation, the excessive and/or improper use of Straight Talk service. Straight Talk reserves the right to limit or reduce data throughput speeds or the amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone Straight Talk believes is using the Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plan in any manner prohibited above or whose usage, in Straight Talk’s sole discretion, adversely impacts the Carrier’s network or customer service levels. Straight Talk will presume you are engaging in a prohibited use in violation of these Terms and Conditions if in Straight Talk’s sole opinion, you are placing an abnormally high number of calls, or repeatedly placing calls of unusually long duration, or if your talk, text or Mobile Web usage is harmful or disruptive to the Carrier’s network or services. If we determine, at our sole discretion, that you are using an unlimited service in violation of the Straight Talk Terms and Conditions of Service, or in any other manner that we deem to be unreasonable or excessive, then we may terminate individual calls, terminate or reduce the speed of data connection throughput, Mobile Web Access or terminate your service, decline to renew your service, or offer you a different service plan with no unlimited usage component. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Straight Talk reserves the right to deny service, deactivate or cancel existing service, terminate data connections and/or reduce data throughput speeds, to anyone for any reason at any time, in Straight Talk’s sole discretion.

Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, discontinue providing connections to particular telephone numbers or types of Services used or called by you, terminate data connections and/or reduce data throughput speeds for customers whose usage, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers; (2) may be harmful, disruptive, or interfere with the Carrier’s network or Straight Talk or the Carrier’s ability to provide service to other customers; or (3) for any other reason in Straight Talk’s sole discretion. For detailed description of activities that could result in service interruption or termination, see paragraph 7 and the section entitled “Straight Talk Features: Intended Use” under the Mobile Web Services Section below. By initiating Service and placing or receiving calls, you acknowledge and agree to Straight Talk’s right to terminate your Service under these circumstances.

Straight Talk may modify or cancel any Service or take corrective action at any time without prior notice and for any reason, including but not limited to your violation of this agreement.

7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

Feedback Score

Straight Talk Data

Whattttttt

Phone
    SM-N900A on GoPhone LTE, Samsung SGH-I337 (Back-Up)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Dear Denzien
    You might as well go work for Straight Talk, all you quoted is common knowledge, cooter55 could have told you that. How much discount ST provided you with your post since you work so hard finding the TOS. Actually, ST's Terms of Service is to their liking. It changes as fast or as slow as suits them. Most subscribe because it reasonably priced.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast