Thread: Mobilicity - what frequencies does it run on?

Feedback Score

Question Mobilicity - what frequencies does it run on?

I just signed up with Mobi but I don't have a phone yet. The rep said Mobi runs on AWS (i'm not sure if this means same as phones that claim UMTS or HSDPA or WCDMA?) on 1700 / 2100. Does that mean the phones should have both 1700 and 2100 bands or will just either 1700 or 2100 suffice?

Does Mobi network use both evenly or mainly 1700? I don't want to get in the situation where my phone has 2100 only and I hardly get any signal at all because Mobi uses 1700 primarily (or vice versa).

Will all T-mobile phones work on Mobi?

thanks.

Phone
    HTC Amaze 4G + BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Both 1700/2100

I believe the towers transmit at 2100 mhz and the phone at 1700 mhz.
    Profile Assist for BlackBerry - Free for a limited time.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    You could just check the phone against the following list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Wireless_Services

Feedback Score
    As far as the consumer is concerned, Wind uses 1700MHz. All UMTS bands use a different range of frequencies for upload an download transmission but in the case of AWS, saying "1700/2100" doesn't help anyone brecause it just adds to the confusion. When a phone manufacturer advertises 2100MHz, they are only talking about UMTS Band I which is not necessary for use with Mobilicity's network. When AWS (UMTS Band IV) is stated as a number, it should only be refereed to as 1700MHz. It should NEVER be called 1700/2100. When a phone manufactuer advertises UMTS/3G 1700MHz, they are refering to UMTS Band IV and that automatically has both necessary upstream and downstream frequency ranges included in the specification. Mobilicity users would be much better off if they pretended the 2100MHz part of the AWS specification didn't exist because it does the end user no good to have that piece of information. It actually does more harm.

Phones
    Galaxy S III
    BlackBerry Z10,
    Blackberry Passport
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    Only T-Mobile 3G phone phones will work. They also sell some 2G phones, but those will NOT work since Mobilicity, like many of the new HSPA networks including Bell and Telus, do not have 2G GSM network.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Phone
    LG Optimus Black (in White)
    Carrier
    Telus - coporate plan
    Feedback Score
    for the phone to work on mobilicity/wind it ONLY NEEDS / MUST HAVE 1700mhz

2100mhz band is the 3G Band used in Europe, not utilized in North America
    I cracked & signed up with Telus. I couldnt resist the Free Phone, $300 airtime credit, and EPP ($20+tax : 350mins, unlimited early evngs /wknds, cd, vm, unlimited NA txts, NO SAFS or 911) With the $300 credit its like having a free year of phone service.

Phones
    HTC Snap, LG Xenon, Blackberry, Nokia, Motorola
    HTC Snap
    Carriers
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the 40 View Post
    for the phone to work on mobilicity/wind it ONLY NEEDS / MUST HAVE 1700mhz

2100mhz band is the 3G Band used in Europe, not utilized in North America
    good to know....some of t-mobile phones do not list 1700mhz

Phone
    Sidekick 4G
    Carriers
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tluvu View Post
    good to know....some of t-mobile phones do not list 1700mhz
    That's because T-Mobile has both 1900 and 1700mhz. Some of their phones are 1900 only.

Mobi doesn't have 1900mhz frequency, so that's why not all T-Mobile phones work on Mobi.

Again
    The device needs UMTS/HSPA 1700mhz to work.
    Ignore anybody/anything that says a 2100mhz phone will work. It won't.

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AWS IS MADE OF PEOPLE!!

Lol. I guess some of you guys are more disguised about AWS=1700/2100 than me.

Phone
    Nokia E71
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Can the mods post a giant text in the main mobi forum right across the top that says devices require 1700 to work on mobi? How many times can this question be repeated? Gahahahahhfndsnmfldsj!

Phone
    LG Optimus Black (in White)
    Carrier
    Telus - coporate plan
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys...sorry for the noob question..but I'm not able to get "Mobilicity" on my Iphone? all I get is "CDN Roaming". any advice??? The sales-person at the cellphone store said I should have no problems???

Please Help....

ahhhhhhh

J/k, yanking your chain.

Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MStar View Post
    That's because T-Mobile has both 1900 and 1700mhz. Some of their phones are 1900 only.

Mobi doesn't have 1900mhz frequency, so that's why not all T-Mobile phones work on Mobi.

Again
    The device needs UMTS/HSPA 1700mhz to work.
    Ignore anybody/anything that says a 2100mhz phone will work. It won't.
    No they don't. They on purposely state that to confuse the consumers since they have the same EDGE bands at AT&T.

If t-mobile did have 1900 than the iPhone would work on their 3G network which they don't. All GSM compatible iphones are not compatible with t-mobile 3g.

please don't confuse howard forum members.

Phones
    Galaxy S III
    BlackBerry Z10,
    Blackberry Passport
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonlam97 View Post
    No they don't. They on purposely state that to confuse the consumers since they have the same EDGE bands at AT&T.

If t-mobile did have 1900 than the iPhone would work on their 3G network which they don't. All GSM compatible iphones are not compatible with t-mobile 3g.

Seriously? Did T-Mobile not exits before the AWS auction in the US? Nobody said T-Mobile has 3G 1900. But they do have 1900 spectrum on 2G GSM. This is why, any quadband GSM phone will work, and why anybody can use an iPhone if they don't care about 3G. On Mobilicity, there's no 2G, it's 3G or nothing.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Well this brings up an interesting point - there's probably nothing in T-Mobile's licence that says they *can't* use their PCS 1900 spectrum for 3G. But the problem is, most T-Mo AWS 3G phones don't have 1900 on them. If T-Mo were to refarm some of their PCS for 3G, it would reduce service for customers with 2G-only phones, without helping most customers with 3G phones, for the sole benefit of perhaps being able to get the iPhone working on 3G. And that just wouldn't make business sense.

AT&T on the other hand has more freedom to refarm their spectrum back and forth between 2G and 3G, because all of their spectrum can be used on both technologies, on the phones they already sell.

Phone
    Sidekick 4G
    Carriers
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonlam97 View Post
    ignorance;

You're wrong. Go away.

T-Mobile has 1900 for 2G service, explaining why their 2G only phones won't work on Mobi.

Please don't confuse HowardForums members.