Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pictures and video of the HowardForums meet sponsored by Mobilicity

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Pictures and video of the HowardForums meet sponsored by Mobilicity

Hey guys, here are some pictures of the forum meet. Thanks to all who came and a big thanks to Mobilicity for sponsoring the meet.

I had an awesome time and it was great meeting you all.

Here's the video. It's over an hour long so here's a table of contents of the first part. the second part is when the Q&A is open to all. If you have the time I suggest you check it out. It was a very interesting session. *update, i just watched a little bit of the video and realized my TOC is off by a few seconds. Sorry about that.

1:30 Q: What phone are you using right now?
    A: Nexus S, before that Vibrant, Nokia N8. Next week probably HTC Glacier

2:33 Q: when can we get a Nexus S at Mobilicity
    A: probably March, lineup refresh in February/March

4:10 Q: Are you going to get Android Tablets
    A: Not sure, we'll see what happens as prices drop

5:25 Q: Do you have family plans
    A: We have them already

6:15 Q: What was your first phone?
    A: Motorola 8000 (AKA the seal clubber)

8:00 Q: Favorite phone
    A: StarTac, which btw is coming to Mobilicity later this year

8:20 Q: Since you've launched what has been your biggest challenge
    A: Fund raising and finding what worked and what was successful.

10:41 Q: Have you reached your launch targets and are you profitable
    A: We're happy with where we are and no not profitable after 9 months

15:00 Q: What is your priority, increasing coverage density or adding new cities
    A: Besides Calgary no new cities, 2011 will be about increasing coverage density. There will be some expansion in Edmonton, western side of Mississauga and Vancouver.

16:05 Q: Where do you see coverage in 3 years
    A: didn't really give a straight answer

17:35 Q: Have you considered using UMA or Femtocells
    A: Yes, UMA is very low on priority list, AWS Femotcells don't exist yet but would love to offer them.

21:52 Q: What do you think about roaming with other new carriers
    A: Can't answer that question

22:48 Q: What rules would you like to see in the upcoming spectrum auction
    A: Would like to see a return to a spectrum cap of 80Mhz (ie Rogers already has 160Mhz). If a carrier owns 850Mhz spectrum they shouldn't be allowed to bid unless you give their existing 850Mhz. Some spectrum should be set aside for carriers with less than 10% marketshare

26:20 Q: Why don't you offer unlock codes for those phones which are locked
    A: Because they've been subsidized. If you really want to unlock it go get it unlocked yourself

27:15 Q: When are you going to get SMS shortcodes
    A: Very soon, at the top of the priority list

28:03 Q: When are you bringing back the Friends and Family plan
    A: It's still around for Friends and Family of Mobilicity employees. Try PM'ing Mel if you showed up... but...
    There's a new promo: $45 gets free data and BIS (BB service) OR that plan for 12months for $349 ($29.08 a month)

30:25 Q: What did you think when Wind copied the Friends and Family plan
    A: He's flattered

32.something Q: What would you say to the big 3
    A: Got partially cut off

35:05 Q: If I was going to start a wireless company right now what would you say to me?
    A: Everything you think will happen will happen differently.

36 Q&A with the attendees

Me and Melmart

The winner of the Blackberry Bold 9780

Here's the phone bar where you can play with all of Mobilicity's current phones from the Nexus One to the Motorola Spice to the Sony Ericsson X10.

Our new HowardForum T-Shirt

The Mobilicity T-Shirt that everyone got.

Me and Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Last edited by howard; 01-20-2011 at 09:43 AM.

New Infinity Blade character

My iPhone 5 ringtone: Bah, Bah, Black Sheep.

Our reviews:

ZTE Open| Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Apple iPhone 5c | Apple iPhone 5s | LG G2 | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in pictures | Samsung Galaxy Mega | 2013 Nexus 7 | Cel-Fi Signal Booster | Huawei Ascend Y300 | Motorola Moto X | Blackberry Q5 | Motorola Moto X | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" | Belkin NetCam HD | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" | Belkin WeMo Switch | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" | Nexus 7 2012 vs 2013 | Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 | MugenPower GS4 Battery | Huawei Ascend Y210 | Huawei B890 Router | Nokia Lumia 520 | Blackberry Q10 | ZTE F160 | Samsung Galaxy S4 | HTC One | Sony Xperia ZL | Nokia Lumia 620 | Samsung ATIV-S | Blackberry Z10 | Samsung Galaxy Camera | Reflections on 2012 | HTC Windows Phone 8s | Samsung Rugby LTE | Huawei D Quad XL | Google Nexus 4 | Apple iPad Mini | HTC One X+ | HTC Windows Phone 8X | Nokia Lumia 920 | Sony Xperia T | Parrot Zik | LG Optimus G | Samsung Galaxy Note II | Motorola DEFY PRO | Motorola RAZR HD LTE | From iOS to Android | Apple iPhone 5 | HoFo at the CWTS coverage | Rogers LTE Rocket Hub ZTE MF28B | Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 launch | Motorola RAZR V | Motorola ATRIX HD LTE | Back to School Guide | HTC One V | Huawei Ascend P1 | Sony Xperia ION | Nokia Lumia 610 | Nexus 7 | LG Optimus L7 | HTC Titan II | Sony Xperia U | OtterBox Commuter for HTC One X | Samsung Galaxy S III | HTC One S | Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE | Nokia Lumia 900 | HTC One X | Apple iPad 3 | Sony Xperia S | Samsung Galaxy Note | Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 | Nokia Lumia 710 | Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0 | Casemate Pop for Galaxy Nexus | Otterbox Commuter for Galaxy Nexus | Otterbox Defender for Galaxy Nexus | Nokia Lumia 800 | Motorola Pro+ | Blackberry Curve 9360 | Asus Transformer Prime | Galaxy S Glide | Blackberry Bold 9790 | Nokia N9 | 2011 Gift Guide | HTC Amaze 4G | Acer ICONIA Tab A501 | LG Optimus LTE | Case Mate TANK | Samsung Galaxy S II LTE | Motorola RAZR | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Carriers
    Mobilicity, Etisalat Afghanistan
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Awesome. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!
    -------------------------------------- [ Windicity ] Must Succeed! ---------------------------------------

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9780
    Blackberry Bold 9900, Blackberry Bold 9780, Blackberry Bold 9700
    iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It was a wonderfully planned event. Lively and informative. Thanks to Howard and Mobilicity. Cheers.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Heh, the Vaseline question is classic. Seems like a very savvy guy. My loyalty lies with WIND for the next while, but this was great to watch.

Phones
    IP4
    iPad II
    W7 64bit w/ZTE 668
    Carriers
    Fido/Rogers
    BELL/TELUS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    great video, thanks again for the share..

Phones
    iPhone 4s
    Galaxy Nexus / iPhone 4s
    Carriers
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Just like a previous poster said, my loyalty is with Wind. I thought the coverage and price was so great that even my father, who has never owned a cell phone jumped in. Had 3 contracts with Rogers and now have 4 with Wind. (bro, dad, wife, and I) Although paying 349 for the year sounds great to get ~29 a month, really don't feel like forking out $1400 in one day for it. $40 a month on a network that has not dropped one call for me and has unlimited everything and gave me a subsidized phone and a free phone. That's wow for me. I watched the whole video and the CEO gives me the impression that he is priming the company up for a merger or being bought up by another company. Of course its pure speculation on my part, I guess I watch too many movies. Time will tell.

Phone
    LG Optimus Black (in White)
    Carrier
    Telus - coporate plan
    Feedback Score
    I dunno, I was there, and I dont know at what point in the Q&A you get the impression that the company is setting up for a merger/buy out? One of the questions even was if mobilicity would merge with one of the other new players and Dave squashed that idea. Although if Mobilicity bought out Public mobile and took their customers and gave them a free TM506...that to me doesnt sound that far fetched :P
    I cracked & signed up with Telus. I couldnt resist the Free Phone, $300 airtime credit, and EPP ($20+tax : 350mins, unlimited early evngs /wknds, cd, vm, unlimited NA txts, NO SAFS or 911) With the $300 credit its like having a free year of phone service.

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Useless spectrum is useless in 2008 and it doesn't change today. I don't blame him for now wanting to merge with Public Mobile. They have no benefits to that kind of merge.

Phone
    LG Optimus Black (in White)
    Carrier
    Telus - coporate plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mGeek View Post
    Useless spectrum is useless in 2008 and it doesn't change today. I don't blame him for now wanting to merge with Public Mobile. They have no benefits to that kind of merge.
    Im not talking about a merge, Im talking about Mobilicity buying out Public, liquidating their assets, trying to get as much money (no matter how little) from the sale of that dinosaur spectrum and getting public's customers on board to mobilicity with a free TM506 or if not free, $50 and offer a $50 rebate in 2mths time or something, that way guaranteeing 2mths of monthly fees from the customer

Phone
    SE TM506, Nokia N900, HTC MyTouch 4G
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    That first photo is fabulous - beautiful shot of both Howard and Melmart, you both look great.

Some good questions in there and great, open answers on the video.

Phones
    iPhone 4s
    Galaxy Nexus / iPhone 4s
    Carriers
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    At the 1 hour mark, whoever that guy is asking questions needs to go and take a business course. LOL. Don't think he realizes that when you make a $250 million dollar investment and then charge people $40 a month and have a $10 profit margin on each one, that it would take a few years to become profitable.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I was hoping for additional details on the expansion plans in the GTA.
    I'd like to see Mobilicity expand their service across the Durham Region.

Wind currently offers service there but it's pretty choppy to say the least!
    Signing a 3 year contract was a very BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Phone
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    Looked like a great event. Its a great privilege to directly communicate with the CEO of a company such as Mobilicity. I hope they keep chipping away at the big 3, it can only help us all.

I will say that no matter how much Dave down played the iPhone I am sure they wish like hell they could have one.
    "Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art" with my Moto X

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the video Howard. I was on the fence up until last night on which to keep: Wind or Mobi. After the interview, I've decided on Mobi because of 2 things:

1) Coverage Density (this proves that they're about quality and not quantity)
    2) Innovation (Not afraid to make a splash with something new, as opposed to following what the competition does)

Dave was very open with his answers and I loved how he elaborated on most of his replies. I learned some new things that I never thought about before so AWESOME (in Dave's tone) interview. Also I noticed that Dave seems to view Wind as more of an ally, except Wind sees them as competition so I think it actually works in favour of Mobi to have that approach whereas Wind is constantly looking over its shoulder to see what Mobi's up to next. Playing catch up on Wind's part is not great for attracting customers but it does help retain existing ones if they're too lazy to be switching carriers all the time.

Proud to be a Mobi user and hope they go all out on improving coverage density this year!

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5 16GB, Apple iPhone 4S 16GB
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Where was this exactly? Looks like the Lounge above the St. Louis on Yonge south of Finch. Amirite?
    250 Mins, E/W @ 6PM, 2500 Messages, CID, VM, 6GB = $65
    $65 + 6.95 SAF + 0.75 911 = $67.70
    $72.70 - $26.95 Credits = $45.75 + TAX
    $51.70 TOTAL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast