Thread: Galaxy S Captivate Cracked Screen - Options? Costs?

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Galaxy S Captivate Cracked Screen - Options? Costs?

So after an exciting work party on the weekend I woke up to find that I had cracked the screen on my Rogers Captivate . The glass is cracked but there doesn't seem to be any damage to the screen below it. The crack runs from the right edge to the bottom edge of the phone.

I've called Rogers who tells me this is (obviously) not covered by my warranty, and it will be $30 to ship it to have them quote the full repair costs. If I take the repair the $30 will be removed from the total cost; if not I lose the $30. No one from Rogers seems to know how much the repair costs would be - one guy at a store guessed it would be $200-$300.

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay to fix this through Rogers?

My other option is to go with a 3rd party repair. The one place I talked to gave be a general quote of $50-$100 to replace the screen. My only concern with going this route is I will obviously void the rest of my warranty by doing this. I've only had the phone for 1 month, so giving up 11 months of warranty for this is hard for me to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should go about getting the screen fixed? The phone is still 100% usable, so i'm not in a huge rush to get it fixed.

Also - I had ordered a case last week (which may or may not have protected it), but I didn't get it until today

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
    HTC Dream
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If you can find someone to replace it for you, you can order one from http://cnn.cn/shop/samsung-i897-capt...c-26_1120.html

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    From what I've read, changing components on the Captivate is really tough. The labour is what's going to cost an arm and a leg.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There's a teardown guide over at xda, and it didn't looked much worse than an old iPod. You need a case opening tool though
    What a long emoticon...

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The same happened to mine. I went to a corner Rogers Plus store and they shipped it out. They said they'd call me for an estimation. Here's the problem... It's almost been 2 months, and everytime I start telling them it's been a while they try and contact the guy they get no replies. Rogers Plus assured me it wouldn't cost anything, but nonetheless, it's almost 2 months now. It's getting ridiculous with the customer service, so I'm gonna head there one last time on Monday, and if I get no answers, I'm gonna call retentions, give them my story and ask for a replacement or just cancel and move to another provider.

Oh, and for the 3rd party repair spots, I asked a few of them, the price always ranged about 150$ to 200$... seldom got anything lower than that.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Just an FYI on the Galaxy S SAMOLED screens - since they are AMOLED, the glass is integrated with the LCD portion of the screen and cannot be separated when replacing. You can try, but most likely it will result in shards of LCD/LED everywhere. Unfortunately this means you will have to purchase an entire SAMOLED replacement, including the digitizer.

I know this because it happened to me and cost around $90 for the screen/digitizer combo. I ended up replacing it myself to save the $190 labour through Samsung.

Feedback Score

Reply to Lexcyn

Can you tell me where you ordered to find a price of $90 for the screen/digitizer combo?