Thread: new to prepaid. can i use one of my old t-mobile phones or do i need to buy a prepaid

Phones
    LG Motion
    LG connect
    Samsung Indulge
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Question new to prepaid. can i use one of my old t-mobile phones or do i need to buy a prepaid

can i use one of my old t-mobile phones or do i need to buy a prepaid phone? or can i just buy a sim card and minutes? how does this work? thanks

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    If it is a T-Mobile phone, you should be able to use it. Just get a prepaid SIM and load it up with minutes. My daughter has used her BB on postpaid T-Mobile and prepaid T-Mobile with no problems.

If the phone is still active on T-Mobile postpaid, you can just call customer service and they will switch it to prepaid and you won't even have to get a new SIM card. If it isn't active now, and you want a new phone number, I think getting a new SIM would be the easiest thing to do.

Phones
    LG Motion
    LG connect
    Samsung Indulge
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.1.21051/22.452; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

its for my mother. she doesnt text or use the web so i think prepaid is the best way to go. she doesnt even talk on the phone too much either. i want her to have one in case of emergency

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesuga View Post
    can i use one of my old t-mobile phones or do i need to buy a prepaid phone? or can i just buy a sim card and minutes? how does this work? thanks
    Just buy a starter kit for $10 at a corporate store or buy it on the web for $7. Put the SIM in the phone use the activation card and you're done. Initial credit with the starter kit is only 10 minutes so you'll need to buy PINs or refill cards. Also remember that the higher value the refill is the less the per minute rate is.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    The T-Mo phone I'm using now and the spare I have in the drawer are former T-Mo contract phones. I just slipped in my prepaid SIM when I bought them (used) and fired um up. The phone selection on the prepaid side is really lacking, I'll prolly never use a prepaid phone again.

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1 View Post
    The T-Mo phone I'm using now and the spare I have in the drawer are former T-Mo contract phones. I just slipped in my prepaid SIM when I bought them (used) and fired um up. The phone selection on the prepaid side is really lacking, I'll prolly never use a prepaid phone again.
    You're not limited to what's available for prepaid. You can use any T-Mobile phone or an unlocked phone. You won't get them for the cheap price you would get with the prepaid offerings but you'll have a fairly wide selection of phones you can use. They won't be subsidized.