Phones
    Panasonic GU87 (1st phone)
    Nokia Lumia 521 Windows Phone
    T-Mobile COMET (busted phone)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Angry Service Termination May 15th 2011 - Old Blue AT&T Customer

We would like to thank you for being a loyal AT&T customer. In the coming months AT&T will perform significant network upgrades in your area designed to increase capacity and reliability. Unfortunately, a small number of customers will no longer be able to use their phones once these upgrades are complete. Our records indicate your phone with the wireless numbers identified below will no longer be able to make or receive calls or perform any data function after May 15th 2011. You must take action to transition your service to avoid service termination. When you replace your phone, you must select a new AT&T rate plan
    Wow if At&T isn't money hungry I wouldn't know why else they would send this. AT&T is not getting rid of SIM cards right? I don't see why our phones would just stop working out right. I understand that they can get rid of the mMode internet service which I have right now but to stop us from making and receiving calls? I don't see why they can't give us new sim cards instead of making use change our rate plans.

Also I wonder how "small number of customers" really is that small of a group?

I guess I'll start looking at Metro PCS, Sprint and T-Mobile for my cell phone services. Also sucks that all the cell phone carriers are colluding to change their upgrade plans too.

Anyone else here get this type of letter?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Why would you think that users on a discontinued network can use that network forever? Are there any more analog or TDMA users still with those phones in service? Six years seem long enough.

This person may have received the letter also: http://www.howardforums.com/member.php/158725-spdickey
    Last edited by efparri; 01-21-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Your SIM card is permanently "homed" to the 310-380 network, which no longer exists. Why should AT&T keep supporting cards on an old network that they shut down years ago? Your SIM card also cannot do the new UMTS authentication, which authenticates the network to the phone as well as the phone to the network.

Come to think of it, why should they let you keep your old rate plan even one month after your contract expired? Does Comcast exempt existing customers from rate increases? If they did, my bill would be half of what it is currently. You've been lucky to get away with being able to use your old plan for as long as you have.

Feedback Score
    The only reason i can think of is that they are upgrading to 3G and getting rid of their legacy GSM or TDMA network in your area. They are giving you the option to upgrade your cellphone or they will terminate you. If you want to leave ATT there won't be an ETF fee for you after May 15th when they terminate you.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the way i see it, you are lucky that they will terminate you for free

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sucram6791 View Post
    the way i see it, you are lucky that they will terminate you for free
    You realize the the OP has been out of contract for the better part of 6-7 years, right?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I do not think that the Original Poster would be still under contract on an AT&T Wireless Service voice plan after all this time.

Phones
    Motorola Moto X
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mawells787 View Post
    The only reason i can think of is that they are upgrading to 3G and getting rid of their legacy GSM or TDMA network in your area. They are giving you the option to upgrade your cellphone or they will terminate you. If you want to leave ATT there won't be an ETF fee for you after May 15th when they terminate you.
    Not even a remote possibility that they are eliminating the GSM network.

Feedback Score
    The technical reason: You need to get a new SIM card to use the new network. Technically all you need to do to keep service is swap SIM cards with your current plan.
    The $$$ reason: They want you on a new plan so they can consolidate resources...

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4 CDMA
    Apple iPhone 3GS (wife)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    A thread on WirelessAdvisor said he was offered a free phone and no contract as long as he went to a new rate plan. Did you get that offer? If so, is moving to another carrier really the solution, when AT&T has obviously given you YEARS of good service at a rate plan cheaper than others have been getting in that time?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    Your SIM card is permanently "homed" to the 310-380 network, which no longer exists. Why should AT&T keep supporting cards on an old network that they shut down years ago? Your SIM card also cannot do the new UMTS authentication, which authenticates the network to the phone as well as the phone to the network.

Come to think of it, why should they let you keep your old rate plan even one month after your contract expired? Does Comcast exempt existing customers from rate increases? If they did, my bill would be half of what it is currently. You've been lucky to get away with being able to use your old plan for as long as you have.
    Because anyone who was on the Cingular side during the merger can keep their rate plan indefinitely.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spleck View Post
    A thread on WirelessAdvisor said he was offered a free phone and no contract as long as he went to a new rate plan. Did you get that offer? If so, is moving to another carrier really the solution, when AT&T has obviously given you YEARS of good service at a rate plan cheaper than others have been getting in that time?
    I received two of these letters today (one per line). After arguing with the sales rep who insisted this was not an increase, until I walked her through line by line on my bill; bottom line was; the SIMs will stop working 5/15; I can get a Curve 3G or Palm Pixi Plus for free, have to pick a new rate plan - which would prevent me from retaining my unlimited data (although I would not have to sign a contract) or migrate to another cell phone company.

So happy I bought two unlocked iPhones in Canada last month to use on my plan.

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm a little frustrated about this -- I finally gave in and migrated from Blue on Jan 4th, but at the cost of signing a new 2-year contract. The rep told me she couldn't do the migration without a contract, which sounded incredibly stupid IMO. The only real reason for the switch was so I could change my SMS plan which I was told I would be unable to do if I stayed on Blue (understandably...but the cost of my SMS overages were getting out of hand). So if I had waited a couple more weeks I could have migrated without a new contract? Bleh.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neilk View Post
    I'm a little frustrated about this -- I finally gave in and migrated from Blue on Jan 4th, but at the cost of signing a new 2-year contract. The rep told me she couldn't do the migration without a contract, which sounded incredibly stupid IMO. The only real reason for the switch was so I could change my SMS plan which I was told I would be unable to do if I stayed on Blue (understandably...but the cost of my SMS overages were getting out of hand). So if I had waited a couple more weeks I could have migrated without a new contract? Bleh.
    That contract is a bunch of BS. You can migrate without a new contract, if you bring your own phone. You should cancel the contract so that lying rep gets a charge-back. They're paid on commission based on how many contracts they get people to sign, but I have zero sympathy for the liars.

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    That contract is a bunch of BS. You can migrate without a new contract, if you bring your own phone. You should cancel the contract so that lying rep gets a charge-back. They're paid on commission based on how many contracts they get people to sign, but I have zero sympathy for the liars.
    Wait, really? What should I do, call 611 and see what my options are? I migrated 2 Blue lines onto my wife's Orange family plan.

Page 1 of 183 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 ... LastLast