Thread: Balance Question (new to Straight Talk)

Feedback Score

Balance Question (new to Straight Talk)

Hi I am a brand new Straight Talk customer as of 3 days ago. I have been a long time Tracfone customer, but this ST plan seems like such a money saver that I thought I would give it a shot.

But only 3 days into being a ST customer I already have a problem with them. My problem is how come my phone is showing 35 texts in my Inbox, 32 texts in my Outbox (67 total) and my online balance says that I have made 95 texts? First off I am perfectly fine if I have made that many texts my issue is why is my phone and balance not lining up? Same goes for my call times as well. My phone says I have made 16:35 worth of calls, but online my balance says I have made 20 minutes even?

Is this a problem other Straight Talk customers have run into? Is it a way that ST tries to be tricky to make you think you have less time used than you actually have so you have to buy another card? I really don't know what is going on here? I am not too happy about it so hopefully someone here can explain to me how this whole thing works and if I am getting hosed already?

FYI I am using the 100 text/1000 min/30 MB card.

Feedback Score
    Well after doing some research I came to the conclusion that every call I make is rounded up to the next minute. So if I made a call of 0:28 seconds that is counted as a minute and if a call is 1:02 then its counted as 2 minutes. So now I understand why they have credited me with 20 minutes talking time. Why it doesn't show that on my phone is a bummer though. You would think they would have some type of tally showing you how much you have used or have left.

As for the text things I still cannot figure that out. I cannot understand how my phone can say 67 total texts and then my online balance says 95?? That's not even in the same ballpark so they are not rounding it up like the calls. Only thing I can think of is picture messages(MMS). I have sent 2 and received 1 as well. So in total I have 3 MMS messages to go along with the 67 text messages my phone is showing.

The only thing I can think of is a MMS message costs WAY more than a regular text. I did the math my phone says I have 67 texts and I have been charged for 95 texts online. So them I subtracted 95 from 67 to get 28. Then I divided 28 the difference between the texts I have and the ones I am being charged by 3 (MMS) and that gives me 9.33. So in summary what I am starting to think is the average cost of the 3 MMS messages I made were 9.33 texts. If that's true it makes sense math wise, but if its true that is ridiculous for ST to charge that per MMS.

Can someone verify if that is indeed how it works with ST and their MMS messages charges?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I would call customer support. Personally, I have the unlimited plan, so I have no experience with this.

Feedback Score
    on the phone with them as we speak.

Feedback Score
    according to them my phone does not hold that many text in my inbox/outbox so it stops counting after a certain number. so i went over the amount i thought i had because of that. they also said that no matter the size of the picture each picture message is only 1 text to send and receive. one other thing they told that i am not a fan of is only gsm phones have the capabilities of keeping track of airtime info, cdma like mine dont. there is a number you can call or you can get a text from the straight talk website, but that still cost you time. anyways just going to have pay closer attention to texts on a daily basis. i think what i will probably do is delete my texts every day so that way i have some type of way to track.