Thread: New Customer - Cannot Receive Text Messages

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score

New Customer - Cannot Receive Text Messages

Signed up for MetroPCS 2 days ago and bought an Optimus. Got my old # ported yesterday. Everything works fine EXCEPT I cannot receive text messages. I was told it would take up to 3 days to start working. Is this common? Will it actually start to work in 3 days or is this a delay tactic?

Feedback Score
    my daughter just bought the optimus and a couple of days later got me one and the text working was within minutes.the first one she and i both received was from metro and before we got home with hers she had sent at least 3 and got back a reply on all 3.i can tell you this it sure is a better phone then i thought it would be.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    did you port your prior # or are you using a MetroPCS #?

Feedback Score
    didn't think about him porting a # that wasn't metros.it took my son a couple of days after he ported a sprint #.but that was a few years back,i guess it's still the same.

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I ported over from T-Mobile and it took me 2 days before text were coming in.

Feedback Score
    When porting it can take up to 72 hours for everything to function fully if your coming from a mobile carrier, and up to 7 days if your porting a landline

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Thanks all, I guess I'll just wait it out.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Can send/receive SMS. Can send MMS but cannot receive MMS on my Optimus.
    If I can send MMS, shouldn't I be able to receive?

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mjv5864 View Post
    Can send/receive SMS. Can send MMS but cannot receive MMS on my Optimus.
    If I can send MMS, shouldn't I be able to receive?
    Yeah, you should be able to receive it

Feedback Score

Metro Texting Issue

I too Ported a number from verizon into metroPCS, Can do EVERYTHING BUT RECEIVE TEXTS!! Texts are working normally to people that have metroPCS service, but other than that, i can only send, i never receive any texts back from non MetroPCS Customers. MMS Is working normally too. Customer service tells me it may take 72 hours, it's been 48 now.. Ill post if it gets fixed, but im starting to get frustrated.

My solution for now is Textfree, as i am using a droid x.

Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    It can take upwards of 72 hours to port a number completely. Outbound will work immediately it's getting the calls and data inbound to route correctly cane take some time. What I recommend is this: Make sure your OSP phone is physically off, then restart your Metro PCS phone. When I ported in from Verizon this helped me. As soon as I did that (about 50ish hours in) everything kicked in. As it was explained to me is the telephone system is so used to sending taking a route. Now it has to go to a new route. If it sees the old router, it'll try to send it. However if that route is gone it'll go the correct way.

Feedback Score

Update

As of last night, about 50ish hours in also, texts started coming in normally. MMS Is working, Market is working, Phone functions 100% Normally..

The service isnt the best, but i seem to have data connectivity even when i have no bars.. So it's okay i guess. No problems not receiving Random messages, or messages coming in late..

Hope it stays this way

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Towards the end of March, I ported my T-Mobile number over to metroPCS on a Friday afternoon at a corporate store.

The FCC indicates a port should take no more than two (2) business days. Business days do not include weekends.

As of the following Tuesday evening, all services were working, except for incoming text. Incoming text apparently began to work overnight Tuesday night, as by the next morning (Wednesday), the phone received an incoming text.

Generally, the speed of a port will depend on how long it takes the losing carrier to release the phone number and how long it takes the receiving carrier to do what it needs to do on the backend of things.

I also have a prepaid TracFone (activated on Verizon) and while I tried to move (via their web site) the service and minutes from another TracFone (activated on T-Mobile) over to the Verizon TracFone, it unexpectedly also ported the phone number along with everything else. To make a long story short, this was done on a Friday evening and by 12 noon (EST) Saturday (the next day), the Verizon TracFone (after *228 programming) received the ported phone number and all services were working. So this port took less than 18 hours.
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2012.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lkjhgfds View Post
    As of last night, about 50ish hours in also, texts started coming in normally. MMS Is working, Market is working, Phone functions 100% Normally..

The service isnt the best, but i seem to have data connectivity even when i have no bars.. So it's okay i guess. No problems not receiving Random messages, or messages coming in late..

Hope it stays this way
    My LG MN180 (Select) can also make a phone call with zero bars, in addition to data connectivity.