Thread: How long can you leave a cell phone dormant?

Feedback Score

How long can you leave a cell phone dormant?

How long can you leave a Tracfone without using it? And then charge it up again? And actually have it work.

If I purchase a new different phone. Get a new cell number. And just keep the old Tracfone in glovebox with car charger. Still with some minutes/units and time. My expiration date on my old cell phone goes into year 2012.

If older cell phone sits in glove box for months, will it work if I use the cig. adaptor/charger with phone? After few/many months?

I'd rather keep a good working older phone as a spare then port my telephone number to a new phone.

Anyone ever do this?

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Batteries in some of my spare (inactive) phones do drain over time, some faster than others. A completely drained battery will eventually die and wont take a charge. A battery in constant use being recharged ever week or so will last a very long time. I have 3-4 year old batteries in constantly used phones that hold a charge seemingly as long as they ever did. If you plug your phone into the car charger when its down a couple of bars it should last quite a while.

Phones themselves will last indefinitely.

Phone
    LG Ultimate 2
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Leaving it in the glovebox (where it can get very hot or very cold) could cause problems with the battery as well. I accidentally left my ebook reader on the dashboard of the car all day last summer and the battery discharged itself. It charged back up okay but battery life has been noticeably shorter ever since.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Bob View Post
    Leaving it in the glovebox (where it can get very hot or very cold) could cause problems with the battery as well. I accidentally left my ebook reader on the dashboard of the car all day last summer and the battery discharged itself. It charged back up okay but battery life has been noticeably shorter ever since.
    A buddy of mine once left a can of spray paint on the dash of his full size van. After a few hours it exploded, the windshield was blown out into the yard about 100', the rear doors blew open and wrapped around the sides of the van and the roof and sides had a funny bulging look to them. Darn thing took the shape of a jelly bean. His insurance company was not amused.

So, like Odd Bob said, be careful where you leave a cell phone in a vehicle.

Feedback Score
    Your post should be made at the 'Howard Forums Spray Can Safety Forum'. :-)

Phone
    LG Ultimate 2
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet View Post
    A buddy of mine once left a can of spray paint on the dash of his full size van. After a few hours it exploded, the windshield was blown out into the yard about 100', the rear doors blew open and wrapped around the sides of the van and the roof and sides had a funny bulging look to them. Darn thing took the shape of a jelly bean. His insurance company was not amused.

So, like Odd Bob said, be careful where you leave a cell phone in a vehicle.
    Heh. Once late one summer night many years ago I had been driving somewhere when all of a sudden there was a KABOOM from the floor on the passenger side and the entire inside of the car (as well as me) was covered in warm, sticky pop. Honestly, I was so startled that I'm still amazed I hadn't run off the road. Turned out I had left an unopened pop can in the car the previous day and forgotten about it. The day had been really hot, and the pressure had built and built until late that night the can finally exploded. Why it waited that long, I don't know, but cleaning that mess up was sure no fun at all.

Carrier
    TMo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Bob View Post
    Heh. Once late one summer night many years ago I had been driving somewhere when all of a sudden there was a KABOOM from the floor on the passenger side and the entire inside of the car (as well as me) was covered in warm, sticky pop. Honestly, I was so startled that I'm still amazed I hadn't run off the road. Turned out I had left an unopened pop can in the car the previous day and forgotten about it. The day had been really hot, and the pressure had built and built until late that night the can finally exploded. Why it waited that long, I don't know, but cleaning that mess up was sure no fun at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pQwB1NDwGA

Feedback Score
    I should add that I've read here you need to make at least 1 call per year regardless of your service end date.