Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ST shut my internet off!

Feedback Score

Exclamation ST shut my internet off!

on day when i got off work i look at my phone to check my mail. come to find out my data has been pulled, and ST sight would not show my phone any more.
    i found out that i had use 15 gigs of data a man from att told me normaly people would use 1.2 gigs of data he said. i called and got it turned on i knew there was a cap somewhere. people the internet is being gate keeped, soon we will be told by ma bell we killed the internet to save it

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    So you pulled in 15 gigs of data on your Straight Talk line? If so, then it's not surprising the shut off your data.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's their playground...you have to play by their rules.

This video explains it better than anything else I've seen. Taken from one of my favorite movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktVJ3qRGS0

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nastymeat View Post
    on day when i got off work i look at my phone to check my mail. come to find out my data has been pulled, and ST sight would not show my phone any more.
    i found out that i had use 15 gigs of data a man from att told me normaly people would use 1.2 gigs of data he said. i called and got it turned on i knew there was a cap somewhere. people the internet is being gate keeped, soon we will be told by ma bell we killed the internet to save it
    Interesting to hear.... but how would "a man from att" know ANYTHING about your account? I know AT&T has almost no visibility into the individual account as they bill out to ST on a mass account, not a number by number basis. If anyone is auditing data usage it's ST.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jac1599 View Post
    So you pulled in 15 gigs of data on your Straight Talk line? If so, then it's not surprising the shut off your data.
    I guess UNLIMITED means something different in Mexico or the Philippines, wherever they shut off his phone from. Last time I checked, UNLIMITED means as much as I can use, without limit. I can see 15 gb easily being used if someone is a taxi driver and uses their phone to stream live TV to their passengers, or something.

Either way, my guess is his usage pattern was evident of tethering.

Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    How the heck do you pull down 15GB in one month? You have to be tethering.

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by getyup View Post
    I guess UNLIMITED means something different in Mexico or the Philippines, wherever they shut off his phone from. Last time I checked, UNLIMITED means as much as I can use, without limit. I can see 15 gb easily being used if someone is a taxi driver and uses their phone to stream live TV to their passengers, or something.

Either way, my guess is his usage pattern was evident of tethering.
    It seems like this discussion comes up every other day. Read the TOS. UNLIMITED does not mean UNLIMITED.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Every time I see "Unlimited" in cell phone ads/plan listings, I'm reminded of that quote from The Princess Bride:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

They should do what American Express does, and say something along the lines of "No preset limits" or "Web access included at no additional charge". Somewhere along the lines, someone in marketing decided that "unlimited" doesn't have to mean unlimited and we've been stuck with these stupid Terms of Service debates ever since. If you have the free time, start a class action suit and make them stop using the word "unlimited" to describe something that isn't. I'm sure the grammar nazis will thank you.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jac1599 View Post
    It seems like this discussion comes up every other day. Read the TOS. UNLIMITED does not mean UNLIMITED.
    Unlimited means unlimited for uses allowed by the terms and conditions. The prohibited uses are clearly listed.
    6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Unlimited means unlimited for uses allowed by the terms and conditions. The prohibited uses are clearly listed.
    Bingo. Thanks for posting that.

Feedback Score
    If they turned you off and it was legit, why would they turn you back ON? Does this mean that if they shut down your internet it's only TEMPORARY, until you call them? Just curious.

Thanks

Melissa

Feedback Score
    LOL, and what he's not saying is he pulled it in 4 days, haha, jk, i dunno actually.

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I'm curious: how did you pull down so much data? I have an Android phone (on Sprint, not Straight Talk, but it's always in 3G coverage) and I use it pretty heavily (pull down podcasts weekly, stream radio, utilize Twitter/Facebook, etc.) and have never went over 2.5 GB.
    Internet at work and with a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk with AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by speer320 View Post
    How the heck do you pull down 15GB in one month? You have to be tethering.
    Yes how could anyone use 15gb of data on a ST phone which does not have all that good browsing in the first place??

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphonefreak View Post
    Yes how could anyone use 15gb of data on a ST phone which does not have all that good browsing in the first place??
    Downloading an absolute crapload of royalty free MP3s from the Internet to the SD card? It would require a lot of patience, but it's technically doable without violating the TOS. They specifically mention you're allowed to download legal MP3s, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast