Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: E71 and Straight Talk

Phone
    LG290C
    Feedback Score

E71 and Straight Talk

Can you buy an E71 from say Amazon, and then get that to work with Straight Talk? Would it need some kind of sim card for straight talk? If so, how do you get this, etc.... sorry, I am new to this stuff so kind of clueless....

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
    Can you buy an E71 from say Amazon, and then get that to work with Straight Talk? Would it need some kind of sim card for straight talk? If so, how do you get this, etc.... sorry, I am new to this stuff so kind of clueless....

Thanks!
    No you have to buy the phone with sim card in it from Walmart or ST website because you can't buy the sim card by its self.

Phone
    LG290C
    Feedback Score
    oh...... ok, thanks for the info !!!!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Not feasable. You would have to buy the StraighTalk E71 to get the SIM card to put in the Amazon E71.

Phones
    E71-2 W Nokia
    Moto Atrix 2
    Nokia E71 Unlocked
    Carrier
    Straight Talk/ATT /Cingular/Comcast/Cell one/BAM/Nynex
    Feedback Score
    Was wondering this myself as I have an unlocked E71W and would prefer to not have to buy another one to make the switch.

Since I would be needing two lines anyhow could one be a complete ST E71, and the 2nd line just purchase a less expensive ST phone and put the sim into my unlocked E71W?

Most likely would not go with another E71 and have two of them, but would it matter if it was another one of the ST G smart type phones?

Have pretty much equally good service from ATT and Verizon around here so could even get one of the ST C phones as well.

Guess I could just sell off my current one on eBay or something if I end up going this route (ATT seems to be finally pushing me past my limit of how much BS and gouging I can take) as its looks like I am going to make a change soon.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    You can not, I repeat CAN NOT get an unlocked sim in anything but the ST E71 or the other ST Nokia smart phone. The other ST phones have locked sims that can NOT be switched to another phone.

Phones
    E71-2 W Nokia
    Moto Atrix 2
    Nokia E71 Unlocked
    Carrier
    Straight Talk/ATT /Cingular/Comcast/Cell one/BAM/Nynex
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBooMY View Post
    You can not, I repeat CAN NOT get an unlocked sim in anything but the ST E71 or the other ST Nokia smart phone. The other ST phones have locked sims that can NOT be switched to another phone.
    OK, Got it thanx

Is there any way to get a unlocked ST sim to use in an unlocked E71 or other similar phone etc?

Just to be clear the idea is to limit the up front costs, and not to use a sim that would allow a limited plan.

Guess like so many money is tight, times are hard, and just do not want to pay nearly $200 for stupid sim card

Now sing the last part like it is a song lmfao

Phone
    iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, iPad Air, MacBook Pro
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am selling my E71 if anyone is interested.... you can send me a PM or I will be listing it in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum later today.

My Babies:
    ~ 64gb iPhone 6 Plus ~ 32gb iPad Mini ~ 64gb iPad Air ~
    11" MacBook Air ~ 13" MacBook Pro ~ Retired iPhone 5S ~

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyD View Post
    Is there any way to get a unlocked ST sim to use in an unlocked E71 or other similar phone etc?
    No. Straight Talk handles accounts and activation based on the IMEI of the phone, not the number on the SIM card. They maintain their own internal database of which IMEIs are associated with which SIM number and there is no way around this fact.

If you want an unlocked SIM card, you have to buy an E71 and keep it for the entire time you want to use the service. Again, the phone's IMEI is your account number.

This *really* needs to be a sticky.

Phones
    Sony T637
    Motorolla V551
    Carrier
    ATW
    Feedback Score
    What happens if you loose your SIM card? Would ST replace it with an unlock one? Just curious. Thanks.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    That's an interesting question. The problem is: I don't think anyone here would be the guinea pig for that.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sangleweb View Post
    What happens if you loose your SIM card? Would ST replace it with an unlock one? Just curious. Thanks.
    You would call straight talk with the imei of the phone and the lost sim would be deactivated. And if you're thinking of going to walmart to harvest an imei, forget it. The phone must be sold and scanned at the pos before it will show up in straight talk's system. There is simply no legal way around this.

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    You would call straight talk with the imei of the phone and the lost sim would be deactivated. And if you're thinking of going to walmart to harvest an imei, forget it. The phone must be sold and scanned at the pos before it will show up in straight talk's system. There is simply no legal way around this.
    What sangleweb is asking is this: If we lose the SIM, would the new SIM that Straight Talk sends out be unlocked or not? If so, this would obviate the need to get a more expensive phone (since you could just get a cheap one, say you lost the SIM card for the phone, and get a new (unlocked) SIM card). You'd still have to keep the phone and throw away/not use the old (now deactivated) SIM card.
    Internet at work and with a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk with AT&T.

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sangleweb View Post
    If you loose your SIM card, you could well get your service canceled, and be a subject of their Fraud Patrol squad.

As it plainly says in their Terms & Conditions:
    "You may not remove your SIM card"
    "Straight Talk will prosecute violators to the full extent of the law".
    "Straight Talk reserves the right to cancel any Service without notice".

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jebr View Post
    What sangleweb is asking is this: If we lose the SIM, would the new SIM that Straight Talk sends out be unlocked or not? If so, this would obviate the need to get a more expensive phone (since you could just get a cheap one, say you lost the SIM card for the phone, and get a new (unlocked) SIM card). You'd still have to keep the phone and throw away/not use the old (now deactivated) SIM card.
    If the less expensive Straight Talk phones are anything like the other GSM America Movil phones, they won't work right without a locked SIM. I suppose there's a possibility they'd send the wrong SIM by mistake, but in all likelihood they will send the correct *locked* replacement SIM for a phone that requires it.

While their TOS does state you're not supposed to remove the SIM card, I seriously doubt they'd send the death squad after you. The worst that'll happen is they'll likely just tell you not to mess with the SIM card anymore after you get and install the new one, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast