Thread: Prepaid Rocket Trick

Feedback Score

Prepaid Rocket Trick

Hi,

I just joined this board to share my story regarding the Rogers Prepaid Rocket stick. I just needed very light occasional mobile browsing on my netbook and did not want to spend the full $150 to buy the stick new Rogers so I had a brilliant plan. I was going to buy a used ZTE668 on Craigslist and put in my own prepaid rocket SIM. Unfortunately, no one at any Rogers store or CSR/tech support over the phone knew anything about it even though it is described on the website. Eventually, someone in tech support told me that all I needed was "Preactivated SIM". So off I went to get a magical Preactivated SIM but I am told by the service rep at the store that they are only for the iPad. I bought it anyway thinking that data over a stick and data over an iPad should be the same.

No luck. The ZTE668 could not connect to Rogers network at all (Perhaps Rogers is filtering IMEI numbers). I tried the following combinations and they all failed:
    1. My Fido sim with data in stick, I get HSPA signal, but am not allowed to connect to Internet.
    2. iPad sim in my BB 8900, I get MM6 error.
    3. Rogers SIM no data plan on stick, I get HSPA, but no internet connection.
    4. Registering the IMEI of stick and ipad SIM for Rogers prepaid, but process not approved.
    5. SIM from another rocket stick with active data plan, works fine.

After hours on the phone with useless CSRs and tech support, I bit the bullet and paid full price for a new prepaid stick (CS-18). Surprisingly, the SIM does NOT say preactivated. I plugged it in my netbok and everything works on 3.5G. I have access to the Rogers site that let's me activate and top up my account. But I think through all this I found the magic key that may allow a prepaid plan on any stick. When I connect to the Internet, I am taken to the following site:

https://www.rogers.com/web/piars/pia...ICCID=X&IMEI=Y

Replace X with SIM and Y with IMEI. This is similar to the scheme that some people used for activating iPads plans without iPads and using on iPhone.

I would be great if this could work with any SIM and any stick, not just a prepaid CS-18. Unfortunately I no longer have access to another stick. If anyone tries it, please let me know. I will also add that when I bought my device, the sales rep scanned both the IMEI and SIM so maybe they were put into the Rogers system for activation. I'm not sure, or it could just be for bookkeeping to make ensure that I return the same device.

I plan to try the SIM for the stick on my Blackberry to see if I can access data.

Thanks and I hope to hear your successes/failures with prepaid Rockets.

- Z

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    IHDT56PG3, BCG-E2642A, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    zhzhou,

Greetings.

Regarding the BlackBerry data access, I think you should know it requires the BIS or BES subscription - UNLESS you manage to load the generic service books that would use regular data through the internet.com APN (and/or WiFi) instead.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    sounds like a lot of work? isn't it easier to just go on a monthly data plan ($0 voice) and get the amount of data you need, and pay a monthly invoice? its easier, its convenient, and you don't have to try and circumvent the system like you mentioned.
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"

Feedback Score
    @hc: Thanks for the welcome. I'm not trying to get data for my BB, I just thought it would be a nice bonus if I could.

@paolo: Are you suggesting getting a monthly plan for the Rocket stick? BTW, isn't circumventing the system part of the fun?

The primary goal is to get very cheap mobile access on my netbook for very intermittent use. I might go a month or two without using it at all so it's a huge waste of money paying >$30/mo for a plan. Secondly, the stick isn't for me, but rather my girlfriend who is much less technologically capable. I just tell her to plug in the stick and she has Internet access on the road for her work. Much easier than explaining tethering or swapping SIM cards, etc.

Regards,

- Z

Feedback Score
    Once activated with your credit card, the prepaid sim can be used on any rocket stick, mifi etc. It isn't locked to the imei of your packaged rocket stick. However, if you wanted to use that rocket stick and use it with a data share plan on Rogers, you have to get a new sim card and they actually activate your rocket stick as another line on your account. I had to do that but kept my prepaid sim and use it on another stick that I purchased off ebay.

The Rogers Plus store and I found out that the only way of getting the Prepaid rocket stick was to purchase the Prepaid package. They swore that giving me a rocket stick and a sim card would work!

Feedback Score
    Hahahhahahhahahah!

you actually paid $150? You got ripped off bad, that is 5X the amount it costs.. See how Rogers and the ilk telcos like to rip off people?
    HHAHAHHAA I like it when the people here at HOFO defends telcos... its like identifying with your abuser abductor.

too bad. $32 here

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/7-2mbps...ot-black-50298

I bought the old Mf636 Zte at staples
    for $50 ($10 sim card included) then unlocked it online for free with a calculator. (ill post the skew later when I find the bill, its not on the web stie but you can still get them instore on liquidation.)

not only that but the reason you did not get internet is NOT because of a pre activated sim. It is because your stick did not detect a data plan.

Plug in the stick = Greed LED = on
    Data detected = Blue LED
    Roaming (ie not Rogers network or sim card) = Red LED (this is only if you are using the Rogers client)

you went to all that trouble and failed to realize that you could use a Pay As You Go pay per Day plan $2 20mb or $7 125 Mb.
    if you go through the rogers portal on a desktop browser it will present you with other more expensive options.
    $5 for 50MB (there are ways around that)

lol enjoy your $150 stick that costs $25 - $35 on deal extreme. no joke the exact same zte unbranded sticks are sold at dx HSDPA and EDGE. GPRS only is $25.

If you can I suggest you take that $150 + tax stick back and return it. (14 days from FS BB walmart, staples = 30 days)
    Last edited by AahH; 01-30-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    Please tell me more.

Did you get a brand new sim for your mf636 or did you take a sim from your cell phone which already had a data plan?

Where would I find these per day plans ( $2/20mb etc. )?

I agree, that once the sim is associated with a data plan, then you can use that sim in any stick or mifi. I'm very interested in your suggestions on the per day rates. I know someone who could really use an occasional internet connection.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leow View Post
    Please tell me more.

Did you get a brand new sim for your mf636 or did you take a sim from your cell phone which already had a data plan?

Where would I find these per day plans ( $2/20mb etc. )?

I agree, that once the sim is associated with a data plan, then you can use that sim in any stick or mifi. I'm very interested in your suggestions on the per day rates. I know someone who could really use an occasional internet connection.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    Ill gladly help anyone who wants just a small amount of prepaid data... I dont like to see people get ripped off.

I just popped in an old sim card that had a PAY AS YOU GO number on it... thats it! NO activation nothing. I repeat..

"NO ACTIVATION NEEDED"

Right now I am using the data stick with Telus as they have a promotion where you get UNLIMITED prepaid data for $20 a month... ends March 20th

Its faster than my Teksavvy internet! (Bell lines) but the ping is horrible!!! cant play online games like Stick ballistic LOL

You can even use your phone and tether if you can figure it out. I have a WINMO phone that I got for $50 that uses a program called MYWIFI, basically it turns the phone into a wireless router modem... so some people dont even need to use a data stick.. but the stick is more secure obviously.

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...roducts/addons

I cannot believe that Rogers Telus and Bell charge $200 for a stupid cheap $32 Stick... You see how they rip people off? make you sign a 2 year contract for $32 LOL

Ooooh so what if it breaks in a year... just buy another one.. for the cost of 1 data stick at $150+ tax you can buy 5 of them.. the exact identical thing. Just painted another color.
    Trust me its nice to have an option fro cheap prepaid data on a Netbook.. I love it and I only pay when I need it.
    Last edited by AahH; 01-30-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    AahH,

Add the data option to an existing PayAsYouGo account... especially those who have accumulated significant amount of soon-to-be-expired balance, is a way to put the otherwise wasted money in good use rather than locking in the Rogers' pocket. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    AahH,

Ideally, I did want to just use the $2/$7 pay as you go data plan. Unfortunately, I didn't have a pay-as-you-go SIM to try. I tried activating my the iPad SIM pay as you go to see if I could get these plans, but the activation didn't succeed on the Rogers the site so I gave up that path. I haven't activated the new stick yet, so I may return the stick and try your suggestion. How would I go about activating a new Pay as you go SIM for rocket use? What software do I need to use to access the stick from DX?

Thanks.
    - Z

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    zhzhou,

I think you should understand one thing: With the exception of the iPad-specific mirco SIM card, PayAsYouGo can be put on any other Rogers SIM card (about $5 to $10 like this HoFo B/S/T deal). I have dozen of them in my drawer and I have used 2 of them for PayAsYouGo over the years.

What AahH has suggested is that getting an ordinary Rogers SIM card AND an unlocked 3G/3G+ modem is nothing out of ordinary. They are quite affordable too (e.g. I have got a used Bell Novatel Wireless U998 3G+ modem at about $90 UNLOCKED last year) Talking of it, beside ZTE, anyone can unlock most Huawei modems on the market - absolutely FREE, e.g. I have unlocked a dozen of WIND Huawei E181 for myself and friends. It is not 3G+ fast like the Bell one mentioned but it compatible with ALL the bands used here and beyond... UMTS Band I (2100) / II (1900) / IV (AWS) / V (850). There are several working SIM-lock code generator / calculator around. Google it, PM me or AahH to find out.

However, what AahH is not being clear is data add-on for PayAsYouGo. By the book, Rogers seems to offer on-device browsing only, no mention about tethering / modem. Perhaps he/she has no problem with the non-Rogers-originated devices / modems AND with the internet.com APN connected.
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 01-30-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    AahH,

Assuming I already have a stick (let's say a ZTE668 locked to Rogers), and no currently active SIM, is it possible to get data on the Rogers network (or any other network) with the stick WITHOUT using a phone to buy a data day/week pass? If so, please let me know what steps I have to take. Currently, I would do the following:

1) Buy a Rogers SIM card
    2) Activate SIM on Rogers site (use a random IMEI) on a PayAsYouGo plan with no monthly fee.
    3) Put SIM in Rocket stick
    4) Connect to Internet with stick in netbook (Rogers should send me SMS?)
    5) Open SMS on netbook and go to site in Firefox/Explorer to buy data pass.
    6) Surf the net!

Please let me know if this is correct. I repeat, I would like a flow where I do NOT need a phone during any part of the process of purchasing a data pass to let me use the Internet.

Thanks.

- Z

Feedback Score

Getting SIM card to work on Rogers Rocket Stick

I am having the same issue with the original poster. I bought a Nokia CS-18 for the purpose of getting pay as you go internet for my mom, an occasional user, for her laptop. I bought the CS-18 on kijiji after checking with Rogers customer service that I can buy the pre-activated SIM card for the pay as you go plan at any Rogers store.

Turns out that's not possible. And if anyone tries calling Rogers Customer Service about this, they will insist the pre-activated SIM card for pay as you go mobile internet is available in all their stores...until you ask them to speak to the stores directly to locate it. Much time wasted doing this.

So was wondering if anyone has found a way to get a pay as you go plan with a SIM card NOT purchased with the mobile internet stick. I already have the stick, just no SIM card that is recognized by the 3-G network to access the pay as you go plan.