Thread: Will the straight talk att phones work with an att micro cell tower

Feedback Score

Will the straight talk att phones work with an att micro cell tower

Don't have a good signal at my house and would like to buy an e71 then use my captivate but I need the tower to work to have a good signal

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    It will but you have to get one first.

Feedback Score

Will the straight talk att phones work with an att micro cell tower?

My experience says NO. It may work with the business MicroCell, but not the home one. I have a valid AT&T account and Microcell, and a valid e5 from Straight Talk. When I added the phone number for the e5, the MicroCell setup said that that number did not have a valid AT&T SIM and it wouldn't add it.
    Last edited by rhunley; 09-13-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Update TItle

Feedback Score
    I have a microcell in my house, have the SIM from a e71 in my iPhone 3GS, and it's been working since day 1. I briefly put the SIM into a unlocked Nexus S, and it worked for a few days, but then stopped working. On the settings page for the Microcell, there was a disclaimer "Phone number XXXXXXXXXX isn't associated with a 3G device". I returned the Nexus S and put the SIM back into the iPhone, and worked as usual. Only difference is, instead of HOME on the top left of the iPhone, it says ROAM. Also, making calls takes 10-20 seconds longer to connect when they are routed through the Microcell.

Feedback Score
    Our Microcell has given full bars (we have NONE without the Microcell) to every 3G data GSM phone I've tried...regardless of carrier. The phones do not need to be AT&T branded phones as specified (why would they want you to know this is a universal GSM signal booster?), but CDMA models (phones that are not on a network that uses SIM cards like Verizon) will not be able to connect from the Microcell. If you run into a case where your 3G GSM phone does NOT work with the Microcell, you probably need to search for the correct APN settings (or misc. network settings in your phone menu) to allow the phone to detect and use the Microcell. Usually, if your phone has correct settings to allow it to use 3G data, it will pick up the Microcell. I've been using the Microcell with my Net10 phone (we have another AT&T user at home who controls the Microcell). We are both soon switching to Tracfone, and will have to see if the Microcell still functions without an AT&T account tied to the device (you can manage it online). We are getting 3G compatible LG 840G Tracfone phones, and are assuming they'll work as expected with the Microcell, as long as it doesn't disconnect itself when the only AT&T account associated with it is terminated.