View Poll Results: How much would you like to manage the android applications installed in your phone?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely necessary.

17 77.27%
  • Of course, is my personal life in there.

2 9.09%
  • Yes, sure!

2 9.09%
  • Not much care.

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to unistall LG MS690 applications?

Feedback Score

How to unistall LG MS690 applications?

Hi, I had a Moto VE440 where I was able trough "HandMark AppStore" to install and remove Metro's phone applications. Now with the new LG MS690, without contract or agreement, all applications are locked and unable to be repaired.

1st. - Problems metro@mail app continuously dropping the mail accounts. Forcing to often reset mail accounts. Many times freeze it and does not load the messages. And most of the time the mail accounts plainly disappear, to a dissapointing.

2nd.- BOINGO Wi-Fi app is useless is you don't travel to airports or hotels, and there is no way to stop it nor uninstall.

3rd. - There is an incompatibility between Yahoo and Google contacts. Where Yahoo takes over and remove data from other contacts sources leaving only what is in the Yahoo contact details or no data at all. Making you to loose phone numbers or any other important personal information.

4th. - In general metro-android Google apps (Talk, YouTube, etc.) are outdated and there is no way to install, move them to the SD memory or to update these from the android market. They appear totally unrelated and lack of support.

5th. - For those who prefer to use their social-network apps to their realm there is no other choice than to use the apps originally in the phone. Stuck with outdated apps versions of Loopt, Facebook for LG, Twitter for LG, MocoSpace, SNS. Some of these that you might never use or wanted to use.

6th. - MetroPCS Easy WiFi keeps loading by self every time a call is received or is placed. For not apparent reason nor logical use, this application will keep loading into memory. And there is no way to stop this behavior.

7th. - Clearly to understand to keep safe the applications which guarantee the proper function of your mobile, and these applications should be kept locked from the provider. But in the following list I see not one that can merit to be force to be keep in your phone unless you feel comfortable using these. Like; Calculator, Free Games!, Memo, Metro411, metroBACKUP, MetroNavigator, Mobile Banking, Mobile IM, My Extras, Pocket Express, ThinkFree Office, UNO, and VirtualCard. Rather than gently give the choice.

Android market is plenty of choice where you can choose what best for you as a costumer, up to your expectations. Finally my question is:

How can you use "HandMark Appstore" or any other application to uninstall or move to the SD memory any of the previous mentioned? After all it should be your right, right?, because you paid in full for these phones.

Note: I'm seeking for real solutions from the people responsible at metroPCS, HandMark, LG, Yahoo and Google. If someone have a final solution, please post them in here, gladly with regards. No hack solutions.
    Last edited by joep67; 02-01-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Step 1: Root phone: http://howardforums.com/pyvan
    Step 2: Titanium Backup
    Step 3: Remove bloat
    Step 4: Win game
    h

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by janus zeal View Post
    Step 1: Root phone: http://howardforums.com/pyvan
    Step 2: Titanium Backup
    Step 3: Remove bloat
    Step 4: Win game
    I was about to go into this whole long and unnecessary reply but you managed to say EXACTLY waht I wanted to say in 4 short and simple lines.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joep67 View Post
    4th. - In general metro-android Google apps (Talk, YouTube, etc.) are outdated and there is no way to install, move them to the SD memory or to update these from the android market. They appear totally unrelated and lack of support.

6th. - MetroPCS Easy WiFi keeps loading by self every time a call is received or is placed. For not apparent reason nor logical use, this application will keep loading into memory. And there is no way to stop this behavior.

7th. - Clearly to understand to keep safe the applications which guarantee the proper function of your mobile, and these applications should be kept locked from the provider. But in the following list I see not one that can merit to be force to be keep in your phone unless you feel comfortable using these. Like; Calculator, Free Games!, Memo, Metro411, metroBACKUP, MetroNavigator, Mobile Banking, Mobile IM, My Extras, Pocket Express, ThinkFree Office, UNO, and VirtualCard. Rather than gently give the choice.

This has been discussed many many times in other threads. But yeah, you need to root the phone and then use something like Root Explorer to remove from the System/App folder.

Easy to root if you have 2.2. If you have 2.2.1, you need to downgrade to 2.2 to root.

I kept some of your points above to discuss them. Your general thesis is correct, but some of your supporting points are not. Not everything you have listed is useless bloatware.

Yes, dump the LG Twitter and Facebook apps for the real Twitter and Facebook apps in the Market.

However, the Calculator is part of Android operating system. MetroPCS or LG did not put that there. It comes with all Android phones, just like the calculator comes with Windows.

From another forum (thanks RichieDaze!):

/system/app broken down by package
    I have broken down the /system/app folder for a better understanding.

NOTE:
    -Android bare system, Android system standard extras, Lg Optimizations are signed with LG's private keys.
    -Lg Google enhanced rom package are from google and signed with Google's private keys.
    -Lg included 3rd party apks are partnered with LG and are signed by their partners private keys.
    -Metro package apks are signed by MetroPCS by their private keys.

Here is the list of applications aka .apk (Android PacKage)'s

Android Bare system:
    AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
    ApplicationsProvider.apk
    Bluetooth.apk--------------------->Replaced by BrcmBluetoothServices.apk
    Browser.apk
    Camera.apk
    CameraApp.apk
    CertInstaller.apk
    Contacts.apk
    ContactsProvider.apk
    DefaultContainerService.apk
    DownloadProvider.apk
    DrmProvider.apk
    ExternalMemoryTest.apk
    Gallery3D.apk
    HTMLViewer.apk
    LatinIME.apk
    Launcher2.apk-------------------->Replaced by LGHome.apk
    MediaProvider.apk
    Mms.apk
    Music.apk
    NetworkLocation.apk
    PackageInstaller.apk
    Phone.apk
    PicoTts.apk
    RSSViewerWidget.apk
    Settings.apk
    SettingsProvider.apk
    SetupWizard.apk
    SoundRecorder.apk
    Stk.apk
    TelephonyProvider.apk
    TtsService.apk
    UserDictionaryProvider.apk
    VoiceDialer.apk
    VpnServices.apk

Android system standard extras:
    Calculator.apk
    Calendar.apk
    CalendarProvider.apk
    CalendarWidget.apk
    CarHome.apk
    CarHomeLauncher.apk
    ClockWeatherWidget.apk
    DeskClock.apk
    Email.apk
    LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
    Protips.apk

LG Google enhanced rom package:
    Gmail.apk
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    GoogleFeedback.apk
    GooglePartnerSetup.apk
    GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    Maps.apk
    MarketUpdater.apk
    MediaUploader.apk
    Street.apk
    Talk.apk
    Vending.apk
    VoiceSearch.apk
    YouTube.apk

LG Optimizations:
    AnalogClockWidget.apk
    BookmarksWidget.apk
    CDGHiddenMenu.apk
    DigitalAlarmWidget.apk
    DualClockWidget.apk
    DunServer.apk
    HiddenSdCard.apk
    Homeselector.apk
    LiveWallpapers.apk
    LgHiddenMenu.apk
    LGHome.apk
    LGMS690_UNO_DEMO_V3.0.8_Build308_11022010.apk
    LGSetupWizard.apk
    MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
    MemoWidget.apk
    MessageWidget.apk
    MoviePlayer.apk
    Mvpdm.apk
    MyExtras.apk
    OPP.apk
    PhotoWidget.apk
    PowerOff.apk
    SNS.apk
    VisualizationWallpapers.apk
    WapService.apk

LG included 3rd party apks:
    Boingo_Wi-Fi.apk
    Loopt.apk
    Mocospace-1.2.4.apk
    Swype.apk
    thinkdroid.apk

Metro package:
    EasyWiFiandroid.apk
    LGMS690_MetroNavigator_4.9.1_Build_64_12032010_rel _signed_PROD.apk
    Metro411.apk
    metroappstore-v1.3a.apk
    metroBACKUP.apk
    MetropcsHiddenMenu.apk
    MetropcsHiddenMenu.odex
    MobileBanking.apk
    MobileIM.apk
    MVC.MetroPCS.android02.apk
    PEX-3.1.1.1-metro-rc.apk
    PGA_Metro_v2.apk
    z7-android2x.apk

When I rooted my phone I removed 11 apps that were of no use to me, so I understand the feeling.

Yes, Free Games are not actually free, MyExtras just seem to be extra ads in your face, and MetroNavigator just duplicates the function of Google Maps Navigator. I'm agreeing with 90% of what you are saying.

Boingo is mostly useless, unless you are a subscrdiber. But Easy Wi-Fi provides access to over 500,000 free hotspots nationwide. Easy Wi-Fi is actually useful, considering that wi-fi connections make the phone function much better than Metro's SLOW 1X connection.

In the same vein Think Free Office provides acccess to Microsoft document attachments, as well as being a TIF and PDF viewer.

Talk is part of Google Voice. You cannot remove Talk without removing Google Voice, so keep it.

Whatever you do, do NOT try to remove the MetroWeb browser, even just to replace the stock Android 2.2 browser. It breaks the Market download and install functionality. You CANNOT remove the MetroWEB browser safely. You can install as many other browsers as you wish and make them the default, but broswer.apk must stay. I learned that the hard way and had to restore my phone. You did not mention the browser specifically, but others have.

p.s. Make sure you have these settings for your Wi-Fi. Some people blamed Easy Wi-Fi when it was really their phone wi-fi settings:

Change the advanced setting to NEVER sleep on the wi-fi. Otherwise every time the screen goes on stand-by (goes dark), your wi-fi disconnects. Then, when the screen comes back on, it's constantly trying to reconnect. Annoying when you haven't changed locations (like at home or work).

For newbies, here's the exact steps to fix this:

On the Home screen,
    • (click the bottom left key), choose "Settings"
    • on that menu, choose "Wireless & networks"
    • on that menu, choose "Wi-Fi Settings"
    • (click the bottom left key), choose "Advanced"
    • on that menu, choose "Wi-Fi sleep policy"
    • on that pop up menu, choose "Never"
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 02-02-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    This has been discussed many many times in other threads. But yeah, you need to root the phone and then use something like Root Explorer to remove from the System/App folder.

Easy to root if you have 2.2. If you have 2.2.1, you need to downgrade to 2.2 to root.[/LIST]
    Hey bro, i was wondering if you could give me a walk through on how to downgrade from Android Version 2.2.1 to 2.2? I need to do that so i can root my LG Optimus Ms690

Thanks in advance

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Just sent you a PM.

Feedback Score
    I am new to Androids and last week I purchased the LG Optimus MS690. Love the phone, but the pre-installed apps are killing my battery. With a full charge it only runs, with very little use, for 5 hours before the battery dies.
    I have downloaded task killer, but some things will not shut off. After many phone calls it seems the only thing left to do is root the phone. I've seen many forums talking about this and what can be safely removed but, after 6 hours of searching, I haven't found out HOW to do it.
    Does anyone have the same phone that they have rooted?
    I don't want to go all crazy and take off a gaggle of things. I want to remove:
    Boingo WiFi
    Mocospace
    SNS
    Think Free Office
    Loopt
    UNO
    These apps are running in the background no matter what I do. Even the service provider can't get them to turn off.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bwoellerette View Post
    I am new to Androids and last week I purchased the LG Optimus MS690. Love the phone, but the pre-installed apps are killing my battery. With a full charge it only runs, with very little use, for 5 hours before the battery dies.
    I have downloaded task killer, but some things will not shut off. After many phone calls it seems the only thing left to do is root the phone. I've seen many forums talking about this and what can be safely removed but, after 6 hours of searching, I haven't found out HOW to do it.
    Does anyone have the same phone that they have rooted?
    I don't want to go all crazy and take off a gaggle of things. I want to remove:
    Boingo WiFi
    Mocospace
    SNS
    Think Free Office
    Loopt
    UNO
    These apps are running in the background no matter what I do. Even the service provider can't get them to turn off.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    download Z4 root. Search for it. Run it.

then get Root Explorer.

however if you have Android 2.2.1 -- instead of 2.2 -- simple rooting won't work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkata View Post
    Hey bro, i was wondering if you could give me a walk through on how to downgrade from Android Version 2.2.1 to 2.2? I need to do that so i can root my LG Optimus Ms690

Thanks in advance
    Just sent you a PM.
    hey there, this is my first time on here, or any community/thread for that matter. i too am trying to downgrade so i can root. i have factory installed optimus m 2.2.1 and would like to root to remove the extra stuff. i've read that it can and can't be done. i know a simple root can't be done on a 2.2.1, i've read i need to downgrade to 2.2. but i've also seen some people say if it is factory installed 2.2.1, that you can't downgrade. i see you sent arkata a PM with the how to. Can you please do the same for me? I would like a walk through on how to downgrade. Thank you VERY much!

Feedback Score
    Easy Wi-Fi[/B] provides access to over 500,000 free hotspots nationwide. Easy Wi-Fi is actually useful, considering that wi-fi connections make the phone function much better than Metro's SLOW 1X connection.
    Those "free" wifi connections come at the price of being spied on. The app is constantly monitoring the networks around you and reporting back to Metro. I personally prefer not to have an app using my CPU/RAM/WIFI/DATA all the time to spy on me thanks.

Phones
    LG G3
    LG G3
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carriers
    Cricket Wireless
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    For those running an optimus with 2.2.1, no need to downgrade to 2.2 and z4, just get Ginger break. Its designed to work with phones with Froyo update 1 and up.

Also deleting Metro Web will not cause problems, at least not since the minor software update.

Metro has set it up so the Optimus and the ascend to check for available WiFi signal first, and then goto 1x, all on its own, you can delete easy wifi.

So...
    1.) Search google and down load the Gingerbreak v1.2 apk
    2.) Get Root explorer 2.16
    3.) run GB1.2 to one click root
    4.) run Root Explorer and get rid of the bloatware (there is usually 2 files per app, 1 .apk, and 1 with some other file extension, delete them both)

Enjoy!
    Couldn't have said it better myself, very great analogy:
    But if the question is "Will my non-LTE phone magically increase in speed while on the MetroPCS network, since MetroPCS has turned on their faster LTE network?" -- the answer is no. Just like back in the 60's, the old black and white CRT TV's could not magically receive color broadcasts just because the networks started broadcasting in color. You had to have a new color TV to receive the wondrous color TV shows.

Phones
    All of the above, & a MagicJack too.
    Sanyo Eclipse X
    Samsung Freeform
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wow, some interesting info here. The time is quickly approaching when we will be getting some cool new phones so I believe I will try some of this stuff. If it bricks my phone I'll just get one of the new ones that are going to be coming out.
    Remember, where ever you go, there you are.http://www.howardforums.com/images/smilies/saaad.gif
    The future is only a past that has yet to be in the present, which was a future in the past.
    http://www.howardforums.com/images/s...llo.gif:micro:

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Stahnke View Post
    i too am trying to downgrade so i can root. i have factory installed optimus m 2.2.1 and would like to root to remove the extra stuff. i've read that it can and can't be done. i know a simple root can't be done on a 2.2.1, i've read i need to downgrade to 2.2. but i've also seen some people say if it is factory installed 2.2.1, that you can't downgrade. i see you sent arkata a PM with the how to. Can you please do the same for me? I would like a walk through on how to downgrade. Thank you VERY much!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestKev View Post
    For those running an optimus with 2.2.1, no need to downgrade to 2.2 and z4, just get Ginger break. Its designed to work with phones with Froyo update 1 and up.

Also deleting Metro Web will not cause problems, at least not since the minor software update.

Metro has set it up so the Optimus and the ascend to check for available WiFi signal first, and then goto 1x, all on its own, you can delete easy wifi.

So...
    1.) Search google and down load the Gingerbreak v1.2 apk
    2.) Get Root explorer 2.16
    3.) run GB1.2 to one click root
    4.) run Root Explorer and get rid of the bloatware (there is usually 2 files per app, 1 .apk, and 1 with some other file extension, delete them both)

Enjoy!
    Yeah, with Gingerbreak you can root 2.2.1, no need to downgrade to 2.2 anymore.

I prefer keeping Easy Wi-Fi. I think it has a lot of advantages for auto logging into "free" wi-fi spots than the native Android wi-fi client. But I'm not going to repeat myself and list all the evidence again. If you read my posts you see I do a lot of research, so you can decided for yourself.

I'll now go answer your PM.

Phones
    LG G3
    LG G3
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carriers
    Cricket Wireless
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I understand, to me though its a redundant program, but then again, it could just be becasue where i live at, as in, for me the program is useless but for you and others out there it could be quite useful.

Feedback Score
    I think it has a lot of advantages for auto logging into "free" wi-fi spots than the native Android wi-fi client.
    I assume you are aware of the ClientLogin service token bug which lets your information be seen unencrypted.
    http://www.macgasm.net/2011/05/17/99...-security-bug/
    Having the phone automatically log in to unencrypted access points and leaving the phone to automatically sync the calender and gmail means you have opened yourself up to constantly sending your account information in the clear. This is only one bug that we know of. Future "Zero day" attacks are also something to be concerned with. That alone should be a worry to you but if not I have another good reason not to use it -

The information sent to Metro by the easy wifi app is logged (thats how they create the database of networks) and can be used to create a map of everywhere you've travelled. Essentially the easy wifi application turns the phone into a fairly accurate tracking device.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast