Thread: Adding Optimus ringtones/notification sounds

Feedback Score

Adding Optimus ringtones/notification sounds

Is there any way to add custom notification sounds and/or ringtones to the LG Optimus V? If there is, I can't find it.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Just download the Ringdroid app from the Android Market. This app is an audio editor that allows you to save your work as a ringtone or notification sound. Just make sure the audio is properly tagged, and you can search for it right from the app. The final file can be saved anywhere on your SD card. Once saved, the sounds can be chosen in the Sound and Display menu, or from the settings in individual apps.

If no snipping is required, sound files can be recognized without going through an app first. On the SD card, make folders called ‘Ringtones’ ‘Notifications’ and 'Alerts'. These folders must be in the root directory, not within another folder. Sound files placed in there will be seen by the OS as either a ringtone or notification depending on which folder they are in. You might need to reboot your phone to get them recognized if you add sounds to the card while it's out of the phone.

Feedback Score
    Great, that seemed to work. I'm not thrilled with any of the Notification tones; I need something sharper to get my attention.

(Also, I love the "Vintage Telephone" sound but wanted to add a longer delay between rings.)

Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Make a folder called "Notifications" and make sure you create .ogg files to put into it.

Feedback Score
    If anyone wants my modified old-fashioned telephone sound (lengthened from 3.1 to 4.8 seconds), it's in the attached .zip file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Feedback Score
    I've noticed that the Optimus plays an MP3 file a lot quieter than the Intercept did. This has made the ringtone almost inaudible if the phone is set down on its back. I am now editing my ringtones to make them louder.

There had to be something the Intercept was better at than the Optimus.

I wish cell phones would play their ringtones through a speaker on the front of the phone rather than on the back, or at least from a speaker that directed its sound out through a side of the phone. I can't be the only one who would prefer to leave their phone setting upright when we lay it down.

I guess I might have to set the phone to always use vibrate.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by split_lip View Post
    Make a folder called "Notifications" and make sure you create .ogg files to put into it.
    mine are MP3's

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8530 (but testing the Intercept)
    LG Optimus V
    Blackberry Curve 8530
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew93 View Post
    I've noticed that the Optimus plays an MP3 file a lot quieter than the Intercept did. This has made the ringtone almost inaudible if the phone is set down on its back. I am now editing my ringtones to make them louder.

There had to be something the Intercept was better at than the Optimus.

I wish cell phones would play their ringtones through a speaker on the front of the phone rather than on the back, or at least from a speaker that directed its sound out through a side of the phone. I can't be the only one who would prefer to leave their phone setting upright when we lay it down.

I guess I might have to set the phone to always use vibrate.
    That's one of the things I loved about my Blackberry 8530. It had the speaker on the top of the phone so that when it was on its back I could still hear the ringer or notifications.

However, there is a workaround for the speaker on the back...putting the phone in an EMPTY bowl will amplify the sound. Saw it on LifeHacker and tried it. It works really well. Hope that helps.

Tari

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    Don't think they need to be in root directory. On the Intercept they were in Media/audio/rintones (and notifications). I dragged that to my Optimus and they show up fine. It's nice you don't have to "save to contact" in Ringdroid anymore; just go contacts, select a contact, settings/options, ringtone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    On the SD card, make folders called ‘Ringtones’ ‘Notifications’ and 'Alerts'. These folders must be in the root directory, not within another folder. Sound files placed in there will be seen by the OS as either a ringtone or notification depending on which folder they are in. You might need to reboot your phone to get them recognized if you add sounds to the card while it's out of the phone.
    Question! What's the difference between Ringtones, Notifications and Alerts? Would it be possible to just have everything under, say, Notification and still be able to use it as an alarm tone? Or are these categories exclusive to specific items?

Feedback Score
    I think it makes a difference. When I originally put my modified .ogg file in Notifications by accident, it didn't show up in the available Ringtones list.

I don't know what Alerts are though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Just download the Ringdroid app from the Android Market. This app is an audio editor that allows you to save your work as a ringtone or notification sound. Just make sure the audio is properly tagged, and you can search for it right from the app. The final file can be saved anywhere on your SD card. Once saved, the sounds can be chosen in the Sound and Display menu, or from the settings in individual apps.

If no snipping is required, sound files can be recognized without going through an app first. On the SD card, make folders called ‘Ringtones’ ‘Notifications’ and 'Alerts'. These folders must be in the root directory, not within another folder. Sound files placed in there will be seen by the OS as either a ringtone or notification depending on which folder they are in. You might need to reboot your phone to get them recognized if you add sounds to the card while it's out of the phone.
    Thanks for this.
    Ringdroid (free, open-source, yay!) was able to convert my .mp3 ringer files for notifications.
    I had tried the 'ringtones' folder on SD with valid .mp3 files but they wouldn't show up.
    Turns out I needed 'Ringtones' with the capital R, and a reboot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew93 View Post

how do you make them louder ???

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    Hold it closer to your ear

Some ringtones are much louder than others. High frequency ones seem much easier to haer for me. You have to play with them to see which work best. Set Ringtone volume to 6 or 7.