Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: confused about $25 plan and taxes and top up card...

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You have to take your credit card or paypal account off. If one is attached, they will always charge it first (for the full price of the plan plus tax) and ignore any balance from topup cards.

Like the others said the topup cards redeem for face value and no taxes or fees are taken out once its on your balance. So if you can buy cards with no tax that'll cost less than paying VM directly. VM seems to charge sales tax even for states where service is not subject to tax.

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaZZoo View Post
    Create an account and Purchase the 25.00 card from callingmart (24.75) a couple days before your reup day. The day before your reup day log onto your account @ virgin and add the card, @ midnite of your reup day it will start your new month. Thats how i've been doing it with no problem.
    Apply Coupon Code : ca3p-1207

This discounts further 3% and I also learned you get an additional $ .25 towards your next purchase, meaning your next $25 top up card will cost $23.76

http://www.callingmart.com/marketing/rewards.aspx

This is the best deal I could find thus far, unless someone else has one better!

Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

$100 - 4 Lines (Framily)
    $15 - 2GB Tablet Plan
    $15 - 2GB Tablet Plan

Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    so i didn't have automatic payment setup but i had my paypal account on record. i removed that will see what happens next month.

i'm still kinda confused as the vm account page says i have a $10 balance in my account from the extra $10 top up card i put in there to cover the 1.68 in tax. i would think it would say my balance is 10-1.68 but whatever.

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beatniks3 View Post
    so i didn't have automatic payment setup but i had my paypal account on record. i removed that will see what happens next month.

i'm still kinda confused as the vm account page says i have a $10 balance in my account from the extra $10 top up card i put in there to cover the 1.68 in tax. i would think it would say my balance is 10-1.68 but whatever.
    I've never had to pay any taxes with Boost or Virgin Mobile. I try and find the cheapest refill sale online.

Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    is this a state by state thing then? i'm not sure but oregon doesn't have certain taxes right?

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    As I said I've never had to pay any taxes, fees, etc. on prepaid for over a year or so. Buying online refills must exempt people from this? I know refilling on the operator's website would be the most expensive.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/legal...and_surcharges

Taxes and Surcharges
    Stated prices for our services do not include certain taxes or surcharges. We charge state and local sales taxes on all purchases made through our website at www.virginmobileusa.com, including Top-Up transactions that we process directly. In certain states, retailers (including Virgin Mobile) are required to collect e-911 fees for Top-Up transactions that they process. Charges may also include a surcharge for federal and state Universal Service Fund contributions and state and local 911 fees, as well as a cost recovery surcharge. The amount of these surcharges is subject to change and may vary from time to time and by geographic area. Surcharges are assessed to help defray our costs incurred in complying with federal and state telecommunications regulations. Surcharges are not taxes or fees that the government requires from consumers. Taxes, fees and surcharges are subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by beatniks3 View Post
    is this a state by state thing then? i'm not sure but oregon doesn't have certain taxes right?
    Oregon doesn't have a Sales Tax and the lowest Wireless Tax in the nation.

http://www.mywireless.org/50-state-ranking-2010
    Last edited by 503ducati; 02-05-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Phone
    LG VX9900
    Feedback Score
    I used to work for a company that shipped goods throughout the country and had to learn the whole deal with sales tax.

Basically, it works like this, if a company (or any of its subsidiaries or affliates) does business or owns locations in the state in which you reside they are required to collect the sales tax for your state.

This is why VM will always charge you tax. Sprint has locations in all 50 states as far as I know. Now if they are collecting tax for people residing in states that do not have any sales tax at all then something is wrong because they shouldn't be doing that, but otherwise if your state normally has sales tax you will always pay it when buying from VM/Sprint.

Technically, all businesses are supposed to collect sales tax and turn it over to the state in which you reside, but if that business has no dealings at all in your state then the state really can't enforce it and has no way to sanction them so it's sort of a grey area.

The long and the short of it is, as long as you buy the cards from a business that is not in your state you probably won't pay sales tax. They could voluntarily choose to collect the tax and turn it over to each state, but for small businesses that's an extra hassle and also potentially discourages sales.

Keep in mind that just because a business has its headquarters in one location doesn't mean they don't have satellite offices and distribution centers etc in other states. In general, a smaller business with a single consolidated location is less likely to charge tax.

Feedback Score
    What's "odd" is I was on cc auto pay and they charged tax and a 911 fee (like 50 cents). But now I pay with Callingmart cards and I understand no tax, but surprised VM doesn't add the 911 fee. Happy to be able to just pay the $25 (as advertised), actually closer to $24 with Callingmart discount. So are ARE eliminating all fees by using prepaid cards (as long as you don't buy them from VM).

Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    how are you entering in your callingmart cards? phone or online? It's just strange to me that people are having different experiences. thanks for the replies by the way.

Feedback Score
    After you experiment with the callingcard method and you see how it works,
    I would call in one month tell them what your balance is and you want to add to it for the new month.
    Unless you plan to buy ringtones or something with your 10.00 balance

how are you entering in your callingmart cards? phone or online? It's just strange to me that people are having different experiences. thanks for the replies by the way.

Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the post, i will have that balance still, i've never bought a ringtone in my life...

i hope it doesn't seem like i'm being cheap, it's more about getting the same deal others are, and to me it makes sense to use one $25 dollar card over using a couple cards

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arp734 View Post
    If you pay your plan online on VM's site, or you go to a store to buy a top-up card you will ALWAYS pay your states sales tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    If you top-up with a card purchased at a retailer, yes. Sales tax is collected by the retailer when you buy the top-up card.

I bought my cards at Target (in CA) and didn't pay any tax.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    All I know is here in California we are not taxed when buying Top-Up cards anywhere (ex. VM's official website, for some reason), like buying a gift card. Go into a Target or Radio Shack and we shouldn't be charged extra for taxes.

However, we do have to be charged taxes when paying the next month through the website or directly, just like any other wireless company (unless they say otherwise, like MetroPCS, Cricket, etc).

For some reason, the Top-Up card method is like some loophole in some states.

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HallOfPromise View Post
    All I know is here in California we are not taxed when buying Top-Up cards anywhere (ex. VM's official website, for some reason), like buying a gift card. Go into a Target or Radio Shack and we shouldn't be charged extra for taxes.

However, we do have to be charged taxes when paying the next month through the website or directly, just like any other wireless company (unless they say otherwise, like MetroPCS, Cricket, etc).

For some reason, the Top-Up card method is like some loophole in some states.
    http://www.mywireless.org/50-state-ranking-2010

Safe Haven is more like it.

Champaign-Urbana in The Peoples Republic of Illinois
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
    What's "odd" is I was on cc auto pay and they charged tax and a 911 fee (like 50 cents). But now I pay with Callingmart cards and I understand no tax, but surprised VM doesn't add the 911 fee. Happy to be able to just pay the $25 (as advertised), actually closer to $24 with Callingmart discount. So are ARE eliminating all fees by using prepaid cards (as long as you don't buy them from VM).
    Ehh? That "911 fee" must vary by state.

I've only paid online via cc (no top-up cards) and have paid sales tax, but never any additional fees.

$25 plan ends up $26.88 after tax.
    $40 plan ends up $43.00 after tax.

As always, YMMV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast