Thread: What if I upgrade w Alltel now but don't like AT&t after the transition?

Device(s)
    Clay knows his *****
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

What if I upgrade w Alltel now but don't like AT&t after the transition?

I really need a new phone and when looking at my account online today it says that I am close enough to the end of my contract to get a new phone. My contract with Alltel ends in May and I see that I can get the BB Pearl Flip for free and I have been really wanting one of those since the came out. I am worried though that I may not like AT&T. I see that I can cancel with no Early Termination Fee, but does that still apply if I upgrade my phone now?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can upgrade now and still return your AT&T replacement device within the 30 day window after activation without any penalty. You will only be able to use the phone for a couple months at most.

Device(s)
    Clay knows his *****
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Clay, That is what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure before extending my contract. I don't want to be tied into an AT&T contract just yet. One other question though...
    I have a South Dakota area code since I moved from there and kept my number. I am currently living in Las Vegas and there is no Alltel here. I went to upgrade my phone online and it would not allow it because my billing zip code is not in there service area, so i changed my address back to my one in SD and it let me select my phone and plan, but wouldn't allow me to purchase the phone since my address didn't match my credit card address. Is this something that I can take care of over teh phone or am I just not allowed to upgrade?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    When you receive the replacement device just take it into any AT&T store and you can upgrade to any of the devices that were offered in pre-select at that time.

Device(s)
    Clay knows his *****
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Yeah but I need a new phone now because mine is having issues and i wanted to get the BB pearl flip so that I can get the same phone as a replacement. I have a BB pearl now but they only will give me a Curve as replacement and I don't want a fullsize BB.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyXL View Post
    Yeah but I need a new phone now because mine is having issues and i wanted to get the BB pearl flip so that I can get the same phone as a replacement. I have a BB pearl now but they only will give me a Curve as replacement and I don't want a fullsize BB.
    Sorry about that, I misunderstood your question. Your best option is to call Alltel customer service and have them manually create the order and ship the phone (they will match online pricing). On a side note - AT&T doesnt currently carry a Blackberry flip model and the most comparable replacement option for the Alltel flip is the Curve 3.

Device(s)
    Clay knows his *****
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    What phone should I get then if I want to have a BB Pearl as the comparable phone? I saw the BB pearl in the AT&T store the other day and I would like to stay with teh pearl since I know its functions and I am used to the way it has 2 letters per key for texting. It took me quit a while to get used to that and I would really like to keep my next phone the same way.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are brand new AT&T pearl flips on eBay for around $140. That is a bit pricey but I thought I would mention them since you could buy one and then sell the AT&T phone that you get with the transition to get back some, or maybe all, of the cost.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The GSM Pearl Flip is not a 3G capable device. The AT&T network in former Alltel areas is entirely 3G with very little if any 2G. The reason AT&T is only offering the Curve 9300 to replace most Blackberry devices is because it is 3G capable. Any former Alltel customer that activates a non-3G capable device will be extremely disappointed.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyXL View Post
    What phone should I get then if I want to have a BB Pearl as the comparable phone? I saw the BB pearl in the AT&T store the other day and I would like to stay with teh pearl since I know its functions and I am used to the way it has 2 letters per key for texting. It took me quit a while to get used to that and I would really like to keep my next phone the same way.
    If you ultimately want the Pearl 9100 then wait until after the transition to upgrade. Use the Curve 9300 for 31 days and then you can keep it as a spare.

Device(s)
    Clay knows his *****
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I upgraded over the phone a few minutes ago to the HTC Wildfire Android. Gonna use that until they send me the replacement AT&T phone sometime between March 21st and 24th(or so they say) and then cancel. Hack the droid and run it on Cricket