Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New iPhone 5 or iPad 2 to support 1700 Mhz AWS??

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prevailing Wind View Post
    It was worth it for Apple to redo the iPhone for CDMA, which is a much larger technological challenge than switching bands from 850/1900 to 1700 (the chip in the Verizon iPhone 4 already supports 1700, so it only needs a compatible antenna and software).

Therefore I have no doubt this move would be painless for Apple. It's just a question of whether they have enough customers knocking on their door for a UMTS 1700 iPhone.
    But how many customers do they need? T-Mobile isn't the biggest, but it's far from "small".
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Phones
    Galaxy S III
    Sony Ericsson TM717, BlackBerry Z10,
    BlackBerry Q10, Nokia N900
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile,
    Clearnet, Peoples (HK), Cantel/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
    But how many customers do they need? T-Mobile isn't the biggest, but it's far from "small".
    More T-Mobile customers than all carriers in Canada combined.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Phones
    Galaxy Note II
    MT4G
    Nokia 5800
    Carriers
    Wind
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeiphone View Post
    I just cant wait to get an iphone. I remember having it when I was with rogers but since a year or so I tested several phones and platforms but nothing compares to iOS. No matter what people say they know they want it.
    Apple iOS was THE reason why ditched the hardware

Android kills competition
    visualize whirled peas

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Phone History

Carrier
    Bell, WIND Mobile, Rogers, SingTel (Singapore), China Mobile (HK), China Unicom (China)
    Feedback Score
    Macrumors/Bloomberg is reporting that Apple is planning a cheaper iPhone to compete with Android. If Apple really is interested in gaining more market share, maybe support for the 1700 Mhz AWS band is on its way!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/10/...hout-contract/

Bloomberg reports that Apple is planning to develop new models of the iPhone, including one that would be both smaller and cheaper than that current model, to aid the company in its battle against Android in the smartphone market.
    Apple Inc. is working on new versions of the iPhone that are aimed at slowing the advance of competing handsets based on Google Inc.'s Android software, according to people who have been briefed on the plans.

One version would be cheaper and smaller than the most recent iPhone, said a person who has seen a prototype and asked not to be identified because the plans haven't been made public. Apple also is developing technology that makes it easier to use the iPhone on multiple wireless networks, two people said.

According to the report, the smaller iPhone could be priced at about $200 without requiring a contract, presumably paving the way for carriers to offer subsidies that could make the phone free when purchased with a service contract.

The prototype smaller iPhone is reportedly about one-third smaller than the iPhone 4, and would use many of the same components found in the current iPhone.
    While Apple has aimed to unveil the device near mid-year, the introduction may be delayed or scrapped, the person said. Few Apple employees know the details of the project, the person said. Apple often works on products that do not later get released.

Rumors of an "iPhone nano" have popped up from time to time, but have been relatively quiet over the past couple of years.

The report also notes that Apple is working on dual-mode iPhone that could operate on both GSM and CDMA networks, a claim that should not be surprising given Apple's use of a dual-mode baseband chip from Qualcomm in the CDMA iPhone. Finally, Bloomberg that Apple is continuing to pursue the idea of built-in SIM cards that would allow users to easily switch between carriers via simple software settings

Feedback Score
    Problem with AWS is very few operators are having network of this spectrum, so its unlikely Apple would come up with phone catering to AWS

Only the following mobile network operators are known to use AWS.
    Canada
    Wind Mobile — December 16, 2009 in Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Whistler.
    Mobilicity — May 15, 2010 in Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Vancouver.
    Videotron — September 9, 2010 in Montreal and Québec City.

United States
    Cricket Communications — April 8, 2008: Launched in Oklahoma City, first AWS service in North America
    T-Mobile USA — May 1, 2008, in New York City
    Metro PCS
    Cincinnati Bell.

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by globo View Post
    T-Mobile USA — May 1, 2008, in New York City
    Lol T-Mobile is nationwide - in EVERY CITY and every major road!! I had tmo for 3 years :P they are bigger than att.

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3G
    SE K750i
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Plazmic Flame View Post
    I’ll believe it when i see it!

But I have a feeling iPhone 5 in US can be purchased contract free like in Canada, AKA open to all carriers in US. Good chance T-Mobile will carry it. And if that should happen, Wind, here I come!

But again,… back to top: I’ll believe it when i see it!

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    While the exact bands escape me, Apple added several new bands to either the iPhone 3GS or 4 in order to allow many new countries to use the iPhone 4 with their 3G networks.
    I believe in Australia, for instance, they have several different 3G bands currently being used with UMTS technology.
    Apple wants their phone to be compatible with as many carriers on Earth as possible.

Currently, the number of subscribers using AWS frequencies is smaller than others, but if you think back to the spectrum auctions here and in the states, we've pretty much used up all of our previous bands II and V. Both 2G and 3G service is available on these bands in North America, and as we've now run out of spectrum for them so AWS will be used ALONGSIDE them in the future, basically adding a third band (band IV/AWS). Therefore, if not in the iPhone 5, the iPhone will at some point support AWS by necessity for greater compatibility with the current networks: AT&T, Robellus. I don't know much about 4G bands but I would think that the same ones will be used, as spectrum itself is a limited resource.

They've already got the chip and the technology is the same, only an antenna and some software needs to be reworked. Hence, I expect them to support AWS in the iPhone 5.
    17.50 ("killer plan": 200 mins by the second, unlimited E/W from 5pm) + 10 (retention VP: 2500 SMS, CD, VM) + 30 (data plan: 6GB with tethering) - 10 (data credit)
    = $47.50 + 911 + tax
    If you're selling a good plan on Telus, Bell, or Rogers, PM me.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AU_rulz View Post
    While the exact bands escape me, Apple added several new bands to either the iPhone 3GS or 4 in order to allow many new countries to use the iPhone 4 with their 3G networks.
    I believe in Australia, for instance, they have several different 3G bands currently being used with UMTS technology.
    Apple wants their phone to be compatible with as many carriers on Earth as possible.

Currently, the number of subscribers using AWS frequencies is smaller than others, but if you think back to the spectrum auctions here and in the states, we've pretty much used up all of our previous bands II and V. Both 2G and 3G service is available on these bands in North America, and as we've now run out of spectrum for them so AWS will be used ALONGSIDE them in the future, basically adding a third band (band IV/AWS). Therefore, if not in the iPhone 5, the iPhone will at some point support AWS by necessity for greater compatibility with the current networks: AT&T, Robellus. I don't know much about 4G bands but I would think that the same ones will be used, as spectrum itself is a limited resource.

They've already got the chip and the technology is the same, only an antenna and some software needs to be reworked. Hence, I expect them to support AWS in the iPhone 5.
    Yup, they added 2 additional bands to the iPhone 4. the 3G and 3GS had UMTS bands I (2100), II (1900) & V (850), and they added bands VI (800) and VIII (900) to the iPhone 4.

Seeing that they made this change last year, along with AT&T exclusivity ending, and wanting to make it available for as many networks as possible, I think there's a good chance they'll add AWS band this year.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can't see Wind getting the iPhone even if it has the AWS band, really how many people will pay $900 for one? I will and some other hofo'ers will, but we would be a very small percentile of people. We will likely have to go unlocked direct from Apple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Speaking of off-contract phones, with Nokia's announcement today we'll probably get a number of WP7 phones that support the AWS frequency. If they can produce something like the N8 with good WP7 experience, I'll be very interested.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    How many people will pay $900 for one?
    None. Like you said, a few, but really very few. Still, Wind has shown that they are able to compete and if the iPhone comes out and is compatible with AWS, don't you think Wind would take advantage of that any way they can?
    People want the iPhone. A LOT of people want it. They will sign away contracts to get it, and they'll be happy with Wind's low rates and the experience of the phone itself. Wind would obviously have to subsidize it in some way...
    If you think back to when Fido and Rogers first got the 3G, people were so loud that 6GB became a reality. Then, when Bell and Telus got it, there was a lot more competition on bundling in data... it would not be an exaggeration to say that it helped change the mobile landscape because of how much people wanted the damn thing. If Wind and Mobi could get it, you best believe that they would (hell, they SHOULD!) take advantage of that, and I think that's when you'll start seeing even greater competition from the big 3 and more people switching to the new guys. So in short, I doubt they would sell it solely at full price. They would more likely change their business model for this one phone, because it will make them more subscribers than any other.

No?

Feedback Score
    IOS = overpriced Toyota with buggy software and drivers who can't figure out how to drive IE gas left break right, gee why did I crash. oh gas right break left.

Android = 6 speed manual sports car like a BMW, or a WRX STi, or a chevy, or even a motorcycle, or a tricycle. We can make it to be anything we want. So long as it's not beige, boring, and only allowed if mast jobs says it's ok and don't forget about that nightmare of iTunes. Never again.

If everyone wants an iPhone, why is android outselling it?
    however I myself await my android TV remote control, no point other then the shear joy of knowing it's a linux powered remote control running android. 100% pointless.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redline14k View Post
    IOS = overpriced Toyota with buggy software and drivers who can't figure out how to drive IE gas left break right, gee why did I crash. oh gas right break left.

Android = 6 speed manual sports car like a BMW, or a WRX STi, or a chevy, or even a motorcycle, or a tricycle. We can make it to be anything we want. So long as it's not beige, boring, and only allowed if mast jobs says it's ok and don't forget about that nightmare of iTunes. Never again.

If everyone wants an iPhone, why is android outselling it?
    however I myself await my android TV remote control, no point other then the shear joy of knowing it's a linux powered remote control running android. 100% pointless.
    No need to be a fanboy.... this is a community of gadget people. The only reason that Android outsells the iPhone is because everyone and their grandmother can manufacture Android devices. Not saying that's a bad thing (although there are some pretty crap-tacular Android devices out there) but it's very simple to see this with or without fanboy-vision. If Google was only making their devices, it would be the other way around.

You're analogy of Android is so way off.... you reek of fanboy-ism.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast