Thread: Anti virus programs needed at all on Andoid phones?

Phone
    Blackberry 9530 Storm
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Anti virus programs needed at all on Andoid phones?

Hi.

Lately, I've spotted quite a few anti virus products in the market, and the last thread I found on the subject was at least a year old, so I thought I'd ask for the newest information.

I've also read quite a few slashdot reports on exploits or fake Market programs or apps in the Market that are malicious in one way or another.

I know the phone is Linux-based and as such not as vulnerable (unless you root it, which I don't intend to do at this time), but I also know from years of professionally removing infections that viruses most of the time tend to get installed by the user who doesn't know any better. So, if a malicious app got downloaded from the Market and all the permissions the app needs are accepted, how far could such an app go in acting like a virus?

Are anti virus products needed for an Android phone, and if yes, how much will they slow it down?

(I thought I had posted this yesterday, but I can't find the post anymore...).

Phones
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    LG XV8560 (Chocolate3)
    [3G] Network Extender (VZW femtocell) SWEET!
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion anti-virus is not needed for any phone. There simply aren't enough phone viruses in the wild to warrant the risk/reward.

There simply isn't enough "standardization" amongst smartphones and OSs to entice virus writers. Whatever virus they might produce would only work on a very limited target group. Simply not worth it to them.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh Map]

Phones
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You've got the right thought process. If you download a malicious app, you screwed yourself. But with Android's sandboxing and other security features built in, antivirus apps are just a waste of money.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When I start seeing news of actual Android viruses/malware in the wild, and specific lists of which of them these AV apps supposedly protect you against, then I'll start caring about AV on Android. Until then, they're ambulance-chasers, trying to ride the coattails of paranoia to make a buck.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    +1, ambulance-chasers, lol, best expression I heard yet. I think some are that because someone was in the news lately to demonstrate that they could include one app in another app. And what was the point? To sell something. You're right--it should take real news and hadn't seen any yet.

Phone
    Blackberry 9530 Storm
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I thought a much, just wanted to get a more educated opinion - only had this phone for 2 weeks. Loving it :-)
    Thanks, all, for your replies!

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Feedback Score
    I would just watch permissions of apps you download too many apps want too many permissions.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Problem is, the devs always have some excuse why their app needs some seemingly-excessive permission. Even Angry Birds needs access to your SMS now. Users are becoming numb to all the warnings.

Phone
    Blackberry 9530 Storm
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Heh, I refuse to install the Facebook app because the amount of permissions it requests is making me very uncomfortable :-)
    (Besides, I hardly ever use it).

But anyway, thanks again for your insight!

Feedback Score
    There's this:
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/17785...edit_card_data

If there's a buck to be made - some will try anything to do it.

Phones
    Apple Iphone
    Samsung A437
    Motorola V551(Retired)
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Mobile development is such a minefield that it would be somewhat difficult to produce an effective "traditional" virus.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app