Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who is Spot Mobile?

Feedback Score

Who is Spot Mobile?

What network do they use? I think it is AT&T, but their website mentions T-Mobile as well.

They only have one plan: paygo at 10 cents/minute. Even though there is a $5 pin, the minimum refill is $10 every 90 days. I am only asking about company because they apparently are set to distribute via retail.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    I went to their web site and selected my state under "check availability". Only 1 area code and prefix came up for the whole state. As fate would have it the prefix is local for me.
    I punched the area code and prefix using several made up numbers into "fone finder". Everyone came up "Leap Wireless DBA Cricket"

Feedback Score
    Strange. Spot has area codes that are local to me, yet Cricket is not available here. Guess the distribution thing is not nationwide.

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Uh, it is GSM

Our nationwide coverage area is supported by the PCM, AT&T and T-Mobile networks
    Who is PCM?

Spot Mobile minutes expire 90 days after activation or refill date. A minimum of $10 must be added every 90 days to keep your account active. If the account is refilled before the 90th day, the existing balance (if any) will carry over to the new expiration date. If the minimum $10 is not added to the account or the balance drops to $0, any remaining funds in the account will be forfeited, the account becomes inactive and the subscriber loses the phone number.
    $40 a year. AT&T and T-Mobile coverage? 10 cents/minute. Interesting.
    Last edited by rfranzq; 02-10-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    It would be even more interesting if they allowed the $5 refill as the minimum for 90 days.

Feedback Score
    A gsm mvno at a dime a minute. Probably Att. Tmobile has very few mvnos. These guys need to get it together. No data, no unlimited plan , no mms. Directory assistance is 1.65 a call. WTF.

Their phones. Meh.

If they were on the Verizon network with byod I'd give them a shot. Or if they had unlimited talk/text/mms and some data or roaming.

I love the fact they are gsm and have byod. Don't get me wrong. But they are way behind the times if they think paygo at a dime a minute is special in any way.

If they had Ptel Paygo rates in gsm or something it'd matter but until they offer something special, they're going to get swamped under by other carriers. The Att and Sprint mvnos have been keeping up along with Tracfone companies . These guys. Who knows? Good luck.

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    A gsm mvno at a dime a minute. Probably Att. Tmobile has very few mvnos. These guys need to get it together.
    Uh, they claim PCM, AT&T and T-Mobile networks. Anyone know who PCM is?

Feedback Score
    They claim multiple networks, but then they say roaming is extra. So is using the AT&T network 10 cents/minute, while T-Mobile is 20cents? Anyway, maybe these guys are a decent alternative for travelers who have an unlocked GSM phone.

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    Pantech PN-820
    Carrier
    1. Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Uh, they claim PCM, AT&T and T-Mobile networks. Anyone know who PCM is?
    I googled PCM. Looks like it's a kind of cell phone network for high-end car phone systems (for example, Porsche), used mostly in Europe. I only found it mentioned by people from over there.

Feedback Score
    I agree with rfranzq that they mistook GSM for PCM. If they run on BOTH Att AND Tmobile, they might stand out as a byod version of Net10.

They need to add text/data soon though. I can see how they only have a basic plan if they are trying to cut deals with both Tmo and Big Blue. It can be hard balancing more then one carrier's different rate plans unless you have the wealth and might of a Tracfone/America Movil.

At least they're not just another boring Sprint mvno (no byod, no roaming) or Att only mvno (same me too $40 unlimited talk/text and meager 30/50 meg Page Plus style data offerings with no improvements in paygo in five years).

Yeah, I changed my mind about them a little thanks to my fellow Hofos. With full gsm byod and roaming , that does make them a little unique. They REALLY need to work on their handset selection. What is that , a rebranded V66 monochrome flip from Motorola circa 2003 I see? Geez. I hope I'm wrong.

I'd push the heck out of wifi enabled handsets to offset the lack of data if I were them.
    They're going to have trouble with data if they roam. Whatever gsm handset they carry, will only support either Tmobile or Att, one or the other but not both. EDGE only if it's the wrong combo.

Roaming isn't always heaven.

Feedback Score
    No data, but their site says 5 cents for domestic texts, and 25 cents for outgoing international texts.

Feedback Score
    Just for kicks, I was browsing Spot's website to see if there is anything new. Now there is conflicting information about the minimum amount required.

It says:

"Spot Mobile minutes expire 90 days after activation or refill date. A minimum of $5 must be added every 90 days to keep your account active."

However, later in the same paragraph it later says:

"If the minimum $10 is not added to the account or the balance drops to $0, any remaining funds in the account will be forfeited, the account becomes inactive and the subscriber loses the phone number."

Obviously one is a mistake, but I wonder which one is wrong.

Feedback Score
    If I had to guess they are using Immix Wireless.

Immix is a Regional GSM carrier in PA that has a roaming agreement with T-Mobile and ATT.

Immix provides wholesale plans to some MVNOs.

They could be using Aspider possibly - which is European MVNE that has tried to launch in the US.

I would almost guarantee they do not have a direct relationship with ATT or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    If Spot is using Immix, does that mean Spot users can use either the T-Mobile or AT&T network at the regular rate? Spot does mention 10 cents extra for roaming, so they do charge when roaming onto some network.

As far as the minimum goes, I emailed Spot and they said the minimum to rollover your balance is $5 every 90 days. Spot gives you an additional 30 days to refill before they deactivate your number, but you lose any remaining balance if you wait over the 90 days.

Feedback Score
    As fate would have it the prefix is local for me.
    I punched the area code and prefix using several made up numbers into "fone finder". Everyone came up "Leap Wireless DBA Cricket"I emailed Spot and they said the minimum to rollover your balance is $5 every 90 days. Spot gives you an additional 30 days to refill before they deactivate your number, but you lose any remaining balance if you wait over the 90 days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast