Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who is Spot Mobile?

Feedback Score
    Others who have used an Immix like solution general charge a blended retail rate so there is no roaming for the customer. An MVNO using Immix would in fact be charge two different rates for usage on ATT and T-Mobile giving them the option to charge the customer for the higher of the two.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    The website mentions 100 free starter minutes.
    Do you get them when you buy the sim only or with a spot mobile phone purchase?

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    As for PCS I found the following info at wikipedia:

"In the United States, Sprint PCS was the first company to build and operate a PCS network, launching service in November, 1995 in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area. Sprint PCS originally built out the network using GSM radio interface equipment. Sprint PCS later selected CDMA as the radio interface for its nationwide network and built out a parallel CDMA network in the Washington D.C. Baltimore area, launching service in 1997. Sprint operated the two networks in parallel until finishing a migration of its area customers to the CDMA network. After completing the customer migration, Sprint PCS sold the GSM radio interface network equipment to Omnipoint Communications in January 2000.[6"

Feedback Score
    Evidently, the free 100 minutes does not apply when you just purchase a sim. That means it only applies when you purchase a phone from them. However when you buy a phone, a $10 pin minimum is automatically added to your purchase. Website does mention that the free minutes will be added after activation.

So my guess is that you have to buy a Spot phone + pay at least $10 for minutes. Then when you activate, you will get the 100 minute bonus.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking about a similar service to Spot in terms of pricing. Obviously, that would be Total Call. Maybe there is a reason why Total Call comes to mind.

Both companies have the same paygo plan of a $5 minimum every 90 days with 10 cents/min calling, 5 cent text, and no data.

Also, it seems as though one of the key executives for Total Call is the CEO of Spot. You would think if they were competitors, there would be some conflict of interest. Plus, Spot's President is a former VP of Marketing with Total Call.

Feedback Score
    Total Call as a Sprint mvno has one serious limitation. ZERO byod. Spot as a gsm provider has almost unlimited gsm byod. Big difference for some users. Total Call has unlimited plans including data but no smartphones.

Phones
    Note3, Note2, iiPad3, Nexus 5, Moto X,
    evo3d,gnex,atrix,e71,v3xx,s56
    Carrier
    vzw, att, tmo, RingPlus, lyca, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    I received my Spot Mobile SIM yesterday.

As people have already speculated, Spot Mobile's home network is indeed Immix Wireless (310-690). The network name on some phones may say Conestoga, which was the company name under prior ownership. This is the same home network used by eKit (which I also have).

Text is not fully working yet so I am not going to say anything about that yet.

There is no data or mms.

There are five GSM/WCDMA networks here and here is what I am able to do:
    T-mobile 2g (1900): register and make calls
    T-Mobile 3g (1700): register and make calls
    AT&T 2g (1900): register and make calls
    AT&T 3g (1900): access denied
    Verizon 2g (1900): register and make calls

I was charged 10c a minute on T-Mo, AT&T and Verizon. There was no 10c surcharge.

Trying to select networks is rather annoying as Spot has programmed all networks to display as "Spot Mobile". You need field test or other phone dependent features to figure out what you are connecting to. Some phones, such as the Mytouch3g, collect all networks with the same name under one entry so that there is no easy way to select different networks.
    Last edited by dmarkson; 05-01-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Updated band for each network

Phone
    Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
    Carrier
    T-Mobile ToGo (US)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    I was charged 10c a minute on T-Mo, AT&T and Verizon. There was no 10c surcharge.
    About roaming, I see that the FAQ on their website has a question about travelling outside your local area code. The answer is that a higher airtime rate will be charged when you place a call from roaming areas which I guess means all areas outside your local area code.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Verizon GSM?

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    Verizon 2g: register and make calls
    I see you are in NH. Could you explain how Verizon has GSM there??

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I was gonna ask the same thing. Perhaps the 2G part explains it. I know cdma and gsm will converge potentially with 4G/LTE but 2G?

Good Question. Would love to know how that works.

Technically though if it is the 1900mhz bandwidth, whether gsm or cdma it is considered "PCS" , Personal Communications System . Verizon has both 850mhz and 1900mhz.

The Att gophone network has been recently expanded but unfortunately the 2G nature of Spot can't take advantage of it as the new Att areas are Att 850 mhz 3G frequency compatible only.
    Last edited by fonezfonz; 05-01-2011 at 04:49 AM.

Phones
    Note3, Note2, iiPad3, Nexus 5, Moto X,
    evo3d,gnex,atrix,e71,v3xx,s56
    Carrier
    vzw, att, tmo, RingPlus, lyca, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    It makes me chuckle when I say Verizon GSM . Verizon bought the Unicel GSM network (310-890) a few years ago just to get the 850 MHz spectrum in much of northern New England. After having to divest VT that still left all of NH and most of ME. In my area Unicel had the PCS F band and had to build it out just enough to keep the license. There are only two towers here, one in downtown Nashua and one around Manchester. Verizon has now deployed EVDO on PCS F but the GSM network remains. One of the towers was offline for a few months but its back on now.

Feedback Score
    If Spot is using Immix, then I wonder if you can roam for free on any of the other gsm networks that Immix has an agreement with. I never heard of Immix before, but my guess is that they have deals with other networks located primarily in the northeast part of the country.

Feedback Score
    So, basically Spot is like Tracfone (mixed/multiple carrier coverage) with byod but no data/mms.

I can see them having a difficult time getting monthly unlimited plans as different carriers have different rates.
    But still, a strong advantage over single carrier gsm coverage.

Feedback Score
    how much are sim cards, and do you get any starter minutes with the sim card?

Feedback Score
    Sim cards are $10, but you must also purchase at least $5 in minutes. Shipping is another $5. Spot claims that they have some sort of retail distribution deal though I have no idea where.

So far nobody who has tested Spot has mentioned any free starter minutes. Seems like you need to purchase one of their phones to get them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast