Thread: LG Optimus low memory, no texting allowed?! Also, stop updating my email!

Phones
    All of the above, & a MagicJack too.
    Sanyo Eclipse X
    Samsung Freeform
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

LG Optimus low memory, no texting allowed?! Also, stop updating my email!

So I have an Optimus, I installed ApptoSD, along with several other apps. I keep getting this message that the phone is low on memory. I uninstalled a few apps and still get it. I installed CacheCleaner, no help there either. I deleted 10 of my 13 text messages, still can't send or recieve any text messages. Otherwise, a great phone so far. Just wish I could download more apps, but hey, what do you want for $229? I would like to be able to send and recieve text messages, though. Not sure what the hold up is.
    Phone still shows 11.11mb of storage left. I know you could store a heck of a lot of text messages with that, but the phone doesn't know that. It just gives me messages that other messages were rejected because I don't have enough memory. Nor will it let me compose any messages because Ooops! I have run out of memory! Any ideas?
    While I'm at it, I love the fact that I have all my email accounts at the touch of a button, but most of it is junk, & I really DON'T need to know every time some advertiser sends me something. Anyway to set up the app so that it won't constantly check for new messages? Not until I am ready and touch the launcher button, anyway.
    There is a bunch of stuff that I have to manually force close using the built in app manager in 2.2, would love to be able to automate things like I can with msconfig on my PC.
    Thanks, and have a great day!
    Remember, where ever you go, there you are.http://www.howardforums.com/images/smilies/saaad.gif
    The future is only a past that has yet to be in the present, which was a future in the past.
    http://www.howardforums.com/images/s...llo.gif:micro:

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Can't you just install the apps onto the micro SD card? That would save a lot more internal memory.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by W.S. View Post
    Can't you just install the apps onto the micro SD card? That would save a lot more internal memory.
    Not all developers allow there apps to be installed to sd. You have to root force those apps on the sd card. Correct me if im wrong.

Have you tried completely powering off the phone? (battery pull)

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant001 View Post
    Not all developers allow there apps to be installed to sd. You have to root force those apps on the sd card. Correct me if im wrong.

Have you tried completely powering off the phone? (battery pull)
    Then I guess Lobstercat can play around with the apps to see what does and what doesn't install into the SD card.

Not sure about how else to resolve the memory issues outside of reformatting or refreshing. I think I've installed about 8 or 9 apps onto my girlfriend's phone without seeing that memory issue.

Phones
    LG Optimus M
    LG Optimus M
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    You must have downloaded a lot of apps. I have downloaded about 19 not including what is already on the phone says I still have 64MB of internal storage left.

As far as emails you can set it to 5,10,15,30,60 minutes or manually.

And for closing apps I use advance task killer kills all tasks (with the exception of that Boingo wifi for some reason) with one touch, well 2 touches you have to open then touch the kill apps button.

Phone
    Too many
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    if your internal memory is below 15MB you will start seeing these [rejection] messages. this applies to most android phones.

Solution: stay above the 15MB threshold

Phones
    Sanyo Eclipse X
    Samsung Freeform
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well just got back from vacation a little while back, so I haven't responded in a while. Sorry, & thanks for the comments. Like I said, I do have App2SD, but a portion of the apps still need to reside in the phone. I have tried & done everything everyone has said, but to no avail. The only one that makes sense here is Pipe2's comment about getting below 15mb. Kinda sucks since the phone doesn't have all that much memory to begin with. And 15mb sounds like kinda a lot. My old phone has tons of messages in it & when I backed it up last I don't think it even came up to 1mb. So any ideas why 15mb? Any way to defeat it?

Another wrinkle in the mix: Now the email app won't look for new emails, it says the memory is full. Not only have I not downloaded anything else, I have uninstalled 3 apps so there should be even MORE memory available. I used the cache cleaner app but still no luck. Granted, not that I care about that especially. Turns out the email app doesn't actually affect your email account, so all vacation I worked to keep my email addresses clean, and when I got back each one had a few hundred messages in it. So really except for a few emails I needed, mostly I was just wasting my time with that thing. The point is I think there is something somewhere in the phone that needs to be cleaned or reset or something. Some other cache or something. There is no reason I should now have LESS memory available AFTER deleting 3 apps. I think I may just write LG & ask them. There may be a glitch somewhere or an update or something.

System Storage: 17mb of 189mb available
    App Storage: 1mb of 201mb available (Not sure what happened here - it was up to 7mb before...)
    Cache: 50mb of 67mb available

Phones
    HTC Evo [Afflicted Evo 2.3.3]
    Htc EVO
    Htc Sensation 4G
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobstercat View Post
    Well just got back from vacation a little while back, so I haven't responded in a while. Sorry, & thanks for the comments. Like I said, I do have App2SD, but a portion of the apps still need to reside in the phone. I have tried & done everything everyone has said, but to no avail. The only one that makes sense here is Pipe2's comment about getting below 15mb. Kinda sucks since the phone doesn't have all that much memory to begin with. And 15mb sounds like kinda a lot. My old phone has tons of messages in it & when I backed it up last I don't think it even came up to 1mb. So any ideas why 15mb? Any way to defeat it?

Another wrinkle in the mix: Now the email app won't look for new emails, it says the memory is full. Not only have I not downloaded anything else, I have uninstalled 3 apps so there should be even MORE memory available. I used the cache cleaner app but still no luck. Granted, not that I care about that especially. Turns out the email app doesn't actually affect your email account, so all vacation I worked to keep my email addresses clean, and when I got back each one had a few hundred messages in it. So really except for a few emails I needed, mostly I was just wasting my time with that thing. The point is I think there is something somewhere in the phone that needs to be cleaned or reset or something. Some other cache or something. There is no reason I should now have LESS memory available AFTER deleting 3 apps. I think I may just write LG & ask them. There may be a glitch somewhere or an update or something.

System Storage: 17mb of 189mb available
    App Storage: 1mb of 201mb available (Not sure what happened here - it was up to 7mb before...)
    Cache: 50mb of 67mb available
    lol jesus your using a hell of alot of memory just for apps what the hell did you do go on a downloading spree forgetting that system memory is accessed to run things on the phone. you need to just go through delete all the useless stuff that you downloaded and thought was "cool" clean out ya dalvik and you should be back to normal.
    Code Name: L0GiC4L 3ViL
    Quote: "Make love not war... Contribute dont leech.My insane logic gets the job done..."
    Latest Exploits:
    evo full flash (yes mms works), samsung intercept web (ask around), moto droid full flash
    Next Hijack: AFFLICTION ROM

11/4 3000th post

Phones
    Sanyo Eclipse X
    Samsung Freeform
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!! A bit late but at least I know now. And now that I know, just in case some one else has a similar problem I'll try again to post what happened. Already tried, and after typing a nice long post my 'net went just as I posted so here I go again.

So it all comes back to that @(*%&*@( email app I complained about earlier, or was it in another post? I can't remember. But I was a little upset that after going through all the trouble to set up ALL my email accounts before leaving for vacation, and then taking the time to daily go through them and delete & organize all my messages, when I got back I still had hundreds of messages to go through anyway. That's because the email app doesn't actually deal directly with your email accounts, but rather it first DOWNLOADS everything to your phone.

Ah, but what about the cache? I cleared it several times & still ran out of memory - even after deleting & uninstalling lots of stuff. Clearing the cache is good, but look just above at the "Data" label - Yeah, there it is! That's all your emails! And when you set it up for ALL your email accounts, including your junk email accounts (just to be thorough) it adds up real fast!

Since I didn't like the apps' failure actually manage my real email accounts I don't think I'll use it anymore anyway, thus also preventing my previous problem from re-occurring again. So if you're running low on phone memory, remember the cache, but also check that "Data" and clear that too. I admit I did download a few too many useless apps in the beginning, but I was puzzled for a while here about why my memory kept running out when I kept deleting & uninstalling more stuff. Now I know.

Thanks to all for your input, & have a great day!

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot men I also had that issue at one point I did the same things you did I just dont remember how exactly I did it lol anyway I will try it again other than that any other secrets for the lg optimus?