Thread: 4g phones.Recption in 3g area?

Feedback Score

4g phones.Recption in 3g area?

Im a little gun shy now. My 4g modem has poor reception in my 3 g area. Will there be the same problem with the new 4 g phones? Im needing a new phone and looking at the bionic.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Depends on what tower they put LTE on, but 85% chance it will be better because of how LTE uses the 700MhZ spectrum.
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Phones
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    LG XV8560 (Chocolate3)
    [3G] Network Extender (VZW femtocell) SWEET!
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure this depends on the specific device, be it modem or phone. Some devices handle "negotiations" between technologies better or worse than others. Especially when you have one technology fading in and out in less than optimal signal conditions. This dilemma is also noted in 1x verses 3G areas. Some devices handle the switching to/from 1x/3G and back better than others, as the 3G signal might fade in and out.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh Map]

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manfred View Post
    Im a little gun shy now. My 4g modem has poor reception in my 3 g area. Will there be the same problem with the new 4 g phones? Im needing a new phone and looking at the bionic.

Hope this helps--there has been a LOT of discussion on Verizon's forums about disconnects-don't know if that's what you mean. Vznam has been updated and is supposed to have helped. There were also Windows issues. Perhaps those forums can help you or there may be threads here. Hope you can get some answers. Also, I wouldn't buy a 4g phone if it were unfavorably reviewed with that condition. There will be plenty of choices.

And as Frank said, it may be device dependent. The forums also address device specific issues.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Heh... There's always Windows issues, I'm glad I steer clear of it.

But, anyway, the first couple 4G devices, it sounds to me like they basically had some firmware bugs rather than truly having reception issues. There's no reason a 4G phone or air card should have poor 3G reception. In terms of fringe performance, I can tell you my PC5740 did a good job of holding on to EVDO until it dropped to about 1X speeds, then it'd drop to 1X. There's no reason a 4G device shouldn't be just as good about choosing between 4G, 3G, and 1X.

Feedback Score
    my older aircard never had issues. I got the new pantech and its making me crazy.Goes from 3g to 1x back and forth and drops off whenever it changes. Im thinking of calling cs and reactivating my old stick modem although it is $10 per month higher.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manfred View Post
    my older aircard never had issues. I got the new pantech and its making me crazy.Goes from 3g to 1x back and forth and drops off whenever it changes. Im thinking of calling cs and reactivating my old stick modem although it is $10 per month higher.
    OMG - I thought the pricing for 3G sticks went down to $50 along with the 4G sticks? If so, that's just lunacy. AT&T just announced they're dropping their 3G sticks down to $50 a month at 5GB so Verizon should be charging the same both both 3G or 4G.

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1
    Watch me on YouTube: AlexKidd4Fun

Feedback Score
    Im getting the 4g stick for $40 per month. A promotion to get me to buy the new modem. I first bought the LG and when it had issues paid $35 to return it and get the pantec.