Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Straight Talk - but with phone swapping?

Feedback Score

Alternative to Straight Talk - but with phone swapping?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a phone for a plan for my wife. I am considering the Straight Talk plan $30 dollar "all you need" plan but I really don't like the fact you can't use the sim cards in other phones.

Does anyone know of a good carrier that offers a plan similar to the Straight Talk "all you need" that uses the ATT network and allows you to use the sim card in different phones?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Sorry, no Att based alternatives out there right now in that price range. The closest for gsm is Tmobile prepaid's 1500 minutes and/or messages plus 30 megs data for $30.Tmobile has the advantage of roaming being available on their network. Att prepaid whether Gophone or a reseller has zero roaming.

Feedback Score
    ST has a huge tower area. And for 45 or 30 a month they are a great option. You can port your number over to them.
    I understand your feelings about the sim card. It makes it so much easier to transfer phone info over to the new hand set.
    ST is still one of your best options.
    Last edited by Freedom1911; 02-17-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1911 View Post
    ST has a huge tower are. And for 45 or 30 a month they are a great option. You can port your number over to them.
    I understand your feelings about the sim card. It makes it so much easier to transfer phone info over to the new hand set.
    ST is still one of your best options.
    If I my wife breaks her phone and I buy a new PT phone and have them swap does PT make it easy to swap?

I would look into tmobile, but all of the ATT phones we have are locked and i don't think it's worth buying a unlock code for 20 bucks for throw-away pay as you go phone.

Feedback Score
    What is PT?
    I'm sure with Straight Talk you could call customer service and tell them you had a problem with your old phone and have a new one and want to transfer the number over to the new phone.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG GS170
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    What is PT?
    PT is Platinumtel. It is a good deal if you can get by with the Sprint network and no roaming.

http://www.platinumtel.com

Feedback Score
    So PlatinumTel is a Sprint MVNO. Like Boost/Virgin Mobile etc.

Their page reminds me a lot of the StraightTalk sight. Sprint does me well since I use VirginMobile on my Droid. But will probably never need to worry about roaming with my ST phone due to the massive tower area it has.
    Do you know if PT does BYOP? Since it is a Spring MVNO, if their prices are better than VM it might be worth changing over if I can keep my new Optimus.

Also I just looked this up about sim cards, ST is a CDMA based service which means it does not use SIM cards.
    You may already know that, and it may be the reason behind your post in the first place, but I thought I would put that out there since it had not been mentioned.

Feedback Score
    After looking at their plans I will stay where I am. Unlimited talk and text is 50 and 10 more a month for internet. So for 60 a month I get the same service on the same network for the same price I am paying now. Not much sense in moving.
    But I do like that more of the PaYG carriers are getting more touch phones. They may not be Android or iPhones, but touch phones are still cool, well that is to say so long as they are not Windows phones.

Also here I would like to point out that Sprint/PT is a CDMA based service and does not use SIM cards either.
    Seriously though. ST is probably your best option. You can port your number over to their network, and it is 30 a month for 1000 min 1000 test etc. or 45 a month for unlimited everything.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    You could use your existing ATT phone with H20 wireless (an Att Mvno).
    it is $40 a month for unlimited calls and texts and $10 worth of international calls.

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageC...php?page=plans

You can buy their sims for a few $ on Ebay or use an unused ATT sim.

H20 will be more than ST but you get to use your existing phone and if you call internationally at all it could save you also. And you get more talk minutes and texts than with ST $30 plan.

Also ATT Gophone might work for you, 1000 text messages are $10/mo and talk minutes are $.10 so if you don't talk that much it might actually be cheaper than Straighttalk.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG GS170
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Do you know if PT does BYOP?
    No, you cannot BYOP with PT.

Feedback Score
    So PlatinumTel is a Sprint MVNO. Like Boost/Virgin Mobile etc.

Also I just looked this up about sim cards, ST is a CDMA based service which means it does not use SIM cards.
    You may already know that, and it may be the reason behind your post in the first place, but I thought I would put that out there since it had not been mentioned.
    StraightTalk has been both CDMA and GSM since about July 2010. The Nokia E71 is their highest end phone. I believe it is ATT based and uses a microsim like the iPhone.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    The Nokia E71 is their highest end phone. I believe it is ATT based and uses a microsim like the iPhone.
    It is indeed ATT but uses a regular SIM. People have pulled the SIM out to use in iPhones however. (Its the only ST phone with "unlocked" SIM)

Sent from my Vibrant

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    StraightTalk has been both CDMA and GSM since about July 2010. The Nokia E71 is their highest end phone. I believe it is ATT based and uses a microsim like the iPhone.
    Thanks for the update. I will keep this in mind. So ST and TracFone both use the sim cards like ATT but they are not compatible. I knew TFs were not transferable with anything,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob859 View Post

Ok, thanks. Seems like more places would do this. After all, they make more money on the service than the do the sale of the phone.
    Last edited by Freedom1911; 02-19-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob859 View Post

Yes you can BYOD if you have a PLBL phone or your phone is from another Sprint MNVO(except VM & Boost).
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast