Thread: Droid X Audio Jack Design Flaw. What should VZW do?

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    USCellular
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down Droid X Audio Jack Design Flaw. What should VZW do?

I am on my 4th Droid X in 3-months. The first three DX's were VZW Re-Certified and all had headphone jacks which would cut out under little pressure. Because I had three bad phones in a row, VZW sent me a New (Not Re-Certified) DX which is my fourth and current DX as of two weeks ago. I tested the jack when I first got it and it seemed fine. But today was the first time I really had the chance to use it and it too has an issue. Though on this one I Need to apply pressure for it to work. Google searches show the DX shares the same bad headphone jack design as the original Droid. So no matter how many replacements I get - I will end up with this issue...

VZW says its not a known issue and that I need to call Motorola (Which I will try tomorrow when they are open). What would you guys do in my situation?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yensed View Post
    I am on my 4th Droid X in 3-months. The first three DX's were VZW Re-Certified and all had headphone jacks which would cut out under little pressure. Because I had three bad phones in a row, VZW sent me a New (Not Re-Certified) DX which is my fourth and current DX as of two weeks ago. I tested the jack when I first got it and it seemed fine. But today was the first time I really had the chance to use it and it too has an issue. Though on this one I Need to apply pressure for it to work. Google searches show the DX shares the same bad headphone jack design as the original Droid. So no matter how many replacements I get - I will end up with this issue...

VZW says its not a known issue and that I need to call Motorola (Which I will try tomorrow when they are open). What would you guys do in my situation?
    Have you just tried different headphones, i know in my Cliq, cheap headphones always do that but if i use the ones that came with my iPhone, Vibrant, or even my Sony headphones (midrange $40 earbuds) all work just fine even when it's in my pocket when running
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: TWC/Spectrum "ultra" (I want Wide Open West back!)

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    USCellular
    Feedback Score
    Tried 2 different aux cables going into many different devices. And used 3 different headphones which all work fine in other devices. Ran the same tests on all of the previous phones too.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Tried 2 different aux cables going into many different devices. And used 3 different headphones which all work fine in other devices. Ran the same tests on all of the previous phones too.
    Well the headphones that were suspect in my Cliq always worked fine in everything else, so i say try a higher-end aux cable and headphones and your issue will most likely go away (or just use Bluetooth, i personally love my S9-HD's)

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    USCellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Well the headphones that were suspect in my Cliq always worked fine in everything else, so i say try a higher-end aux cable and headphones and your issue will most likely go away (or just use Bluetooth, i personally love my S9-HD's)
    TRS connectors have been around for generations and the TRS connector on "Higher-end" Aux cables and headphones will be identical to the TRS connectors used on 25-cent ebay aux cables.. This is an issue with the DX - not anything else.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    TRS connectors have been around for generations and the TRS connector on "Higher-end" Aux cables and headphones will be identical to the TRS connectors used on 25-cent ebay aux cables.. This is an issue with the DX - not anything else.
    well just because there are standards do not mean that the headphones and aux cable companies (especially the cheaper ones) adhere to the standards

Device(s)
    t3h Q
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    i have sony headphones and a RCA audio cable in my car for music. my droidx works fine in both. i donno what to tell u bud

Feedback Score
    I have had my DX since December '10 and today have had my first problem with the headphone jack. It does the same thing no matter what jack I use. I had a possibly related issues yesterday.
    The non-speakerphone speaker did not work. I had to use the speakerphone to use it. Music did not play nor any communication with the s/p off. A bit later the mic on the phone started working but the output still did not.
    I went to a store to show them and get a replacement and it started working just fine.
    Have you heard of this? Do you think they are related to the headphone jack?

Feedback Score
    It seems obvious to me that the X has a pretty major design flaw. The area where the headphone jack resides is on a freakin ANGLE!! There is no way to fully press the cord into the jack!! This seemed obvious to me the first time I tried to use headphones. It has been a MAJOR pain in my *** ever since. I have tried everything from cheap to moderately prices headphones, and countless patch cords to my car stereo, and they all have the same problem. If you so much as touch the cord, the sound goes out. Can't believe this phone made it out of R&D like this....

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    USCellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shalenboy View Post
    It seems obvious to me that the X has a pretty major design flaw. The area where the headphone jack resides is on a freakin ANGLE!! There is no way to fully press the cord into the jack!! This seemed obvious to me the first time I tried to use headphones. It has been a MAJOR pain in my *** ever since. I have tried everything from cheap to moderately prices headphones, and countless patch cords to my car stereo, and they all have the same problem. If you so much as touch the cord, the sound goes out. Can't believe this phone made it out of R&D like this....
    The issue isn't that the headphones don't go down far enough as the jack itself is designed to compensate for the angle(Many devices are this way these days). It sounds to me like you are having the same issue I do.

Feedback Score
    I have a the same problem with my DX. I tried different headphone and connectors. I bought an Iphone in Feb. have not had one problem with the same headphone and connector. I did miss my droid and just recently started using it again.