Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T already sunseting the 2G GSM/EDGE network; exclusively 3G markets now exist

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score

AT&T already sunseting the 2G GSM/EDGE network; exclusively 3G markets now exist

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...12033083&sci=4

"Requires 3G Capable Handset"

The new smattering of blue lines on the orange coverage maps is signaling the decline of 2G GSM service from AT&T. New 3G only service in eastern Nevada is replacing roaming agreements with competitors they bought. Also some markets in Alabama are going 3G only. New 3G only service in eastern New Mexico is replacing roaming agreements with T-mobile and Plateau Wireless.

This means that 2G handsets (many are still being sold by AT&T) and 3G handsets incompatible with AT&T's 3G bands (i.e. AWS phones) will be unable to place phone calls on AT&T's 3G only cellular network.

I'll miss the 2G GSM network when they start to actively phase it out. Until then, 2G GSM starts its long, painful decline this year.

This looks awfully similar to 1G AMPS decline and eventual sunset.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    This means that 2G handsets (many are still being sold by AT&T) and 3G handsets incompatible with AT&T's 3G bands (i.e. AWS phones) will be unable to place phone calls on AT&T's 3G only cellular network.
    2G will still be around on the leftover 5 MHz slices. More than a enough for decent GSM network. That depends where though, but other than that there should be 4-5 carriers for 3G services.

I'll miss the 2G GSM network when they start to actively phase it out. Until then, 2G GSM starts its long, painful decline this year.

This looks awfully similar to 1G AMPS decline and eventual sunset.
    I won't miss 2G GSM. Just like I don't miss CSD/GPRS..
    It's terrible sounding, it's sloooow, and just plain sucks at the fringe of coverage.
    In any case, the decline on GSM with AT&T started when AMR-HR is used pretty much all the time...even into the wee hours of the morning. The faster AT&T adds more carriers on 3G, the better the service becomes.

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    2G will still be around on the leftover 5 MHz slices. More than a enough for decent GSM network. That depends where though, but other than that there should be 4-5 carriers for 3G services.
    "Requires 3G Capable Handset" implies that AT&T is allocating NO spectrum for GSM service in these markets. It doesn't make sense considering all the new exclusive 3G areas are rural; spectrum isn't as precious as it is in urban areas.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    "Requires 3G Capable Handset" implies that AT&T is allocating NO spectrum for GSM service in these markets. It doesn't make sense considering all the new exclusive 3G areas are rural; spectrum isn't as precious as it is in urban areas.
    Yeah, but there's Orange underneath it which implies GSM coverage, which implies they have something for GSM.
    The "Requires 3G Capable Handset" hashes have white underneath it.

Feedback Score
    I wonder how this affects the types of handsets that go onto Att's reseller/wholesalers/mvnos like Red Pocket and H20. Interesting development. Not a good one necessarily but an interesting one. (Not if you like to use 2G unlocked cell phones...).

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No, the orange underneath it is the signal strength of the 3G-only network. It looks ugly as it is, but I can tell you that's what it is. Note it can go from the lightest orange 2G and border dark-orange 3G only.

BTW, to the O.P. Other than a tiny big in NorCal that was noted, this is all in ALLTEL markets AT&T acquired. Expect to see a LOT more soon in Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Utah, etc.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To demonstrate my point, http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...85351564&sci=5

The area that is hashed is "Best signal" 3G, and has some "Moderate signal" 2G extending out over part of it.

Feedback Score
    Actually , there was zero Alltel in my market and we are getting some 3G only marks on the Gophone map...
    Alltel could only exist through roaming via Verizon in my dinky market.

Phones
    LG VX 8100(retired)
    iPhone 4
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So does this mean Montana will actually get 3G? And that if you have a 2g phone it just won't show a signal? . I'm glad they're doing this as 3G voice quality seems to be better and it frees up more spectrum . I travel a lot in the northwest and there are still huge parts of Utah Montana and other places that are boring old 2g on my iPhone

Sent from my AT&T iPhone using HowardForums

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    fonezfonz, what IS your market? No comment without knowing that.

fuzzball, yes, Montana will be all UMTS/HSPA when the new AT&T network launches. My understanding is that old Alltel GSM network will remain and possibly improved some (it's very slow and doesn't even work half the time), but for the most part any areas that network doesn't cover (which is a LOT, it's only on about half the Alltel sites I would guess) will be 3G-only. That's my understanding anyways regarding 2G. We'll see what happens, but 100% for sure the entire Alltel CDMA network in areas acquired by AT&T is getting overlaid with UMTS and expanded some It is correct that GSM-only phone simply won't show signal (or will roam, possibly in some areas) in areas that are 3G-only .

Feedback Score
    This thread title is a bit misleading. They are not sunsetting the network like they did TDMA. In fact they did just put a GSM only tower up around here and publicly announced it. They won't dismantle GSM for a long while.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Correct locust, but I believe the point was that they're now building some sites that don't have GSM on them.

Carriers
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Gsm will stay around for at least 5 years for a couple reasons. Gsm roaming from overseas users. Att 3g bands are not in most overseas phones nor tmobiles bands either. Gsm phones are still being sold, though selection is getting quite small. Until att and tmobile put each others 3g bands in each respective devices, they can't kill that network.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    At&t SGS III Belton/Nolanville, TX

Phones
    LG VX 8100(retired)
    iPhone 4
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I was looking on AT&T website at their 3G upgrade coverage and if it's accurate they do seem to be putting in a ton of new towers by march 31st. I think the website is att.com/network. They talk about the hsupa buildout and 4g but also improving 3G.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone using HowardForums

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Blitz
    Sprint Treo 755 (for sale or trade)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I never understood why they even bothered with GSM instead of going straight to 3G. T-Mobile started as a GSM carrier(s), but AT&T did not and should have really gone straight to 3G.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast